Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:34 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

dont you love it when someones been divorced 3 times asking these questions..often a relative..

one of the best answers ive heard,,,the young adult looked around and said "based on the marriage success rate in this family" id better wait another ten yrs to get it right...then smile

when family members start asking those questions to my son- i jump right in- he's in college and his degree is most important now- girls are nothing but trouble at his age- if they rudely push,,,,ill say back off- he's got 5 buddies, that had to drop out of college because they got a girl pregnant, and now needs to support a family....

that usually shuts them up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:36 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Tell me how you think about this questions, its setting, or worth getting defensive over.

Social charity cocktail party, you know many of the people there, one is a friend of yours doing an attempted drive by trying to fix you up with someone standing next to her and while chatting the friend is just steering the conversation. "So, Diss, why aren't you snatched up yet?" Diss, "Been asking myself the same thing." Or something a little more humorous.

Walk away or stay - it really is up to you to either address it or not, but getting all up in someone's face over it shows tremendous defensive behavior and like wildfire it will spread around the whole room. Friday you could have possibly had a date - now you are just standing against the wall with a drink in your hand and no one to talk to.
That line of questioning assumes there is something decificent about me because I'm not in a relationship. I don't know anyone who would take kindly to being told something is wrong with them because they don't have a SO.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
That line of questioning assumes there is something decificent about me because I'm not in a relationship. I don't know anyone who would take kindly to being told something is wrong with them because they don't have a SO.
I guess I always heard that to the tune of someone who has too much to offer and hasn't found anyone deserving of him yet. But, to actually give someone attitude based on this is a bit far out there.

You see the glass half empty, I see as glass half full.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:52 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
dont you love it when someones been divorced 3 times asking these questions..often a relative..
Yeah, you want to know what I say about that kind of relative? Misery loves company. Please repeat the same mistakes I made so I that I won't feel as bad about myself and look stupid compared to the rest of the family.

Quote:
one of the best answers ive heard,,,the young adult looked around and said "based on the marriage success rate in this family" id better wait another ten yrs to get it right...then smile

when family members start asking those questions to my son- i jump right in- he's in college and his degree is most important now- girls are nothing but trouble at his age- if they rudely push,,,,ill say back off- he's got 5 buddies, that had to drop out of college because they got a girl pregnant, and now needs to support a family....

that usually shuts them up
Good for you!

Old 12-14-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I guess I always heard that to the tune of someone who has too much to offer and hasn't found anyone deserving of him yet. But, to actually give someone attitude based on this is a bit far out there.

You see the glass half empty, I see as glass half full.
unless you have someone to actually suggest as a friend or date,,, dont be asking judgemental questions

ok,,,say we are at a social gathering with drinks,,,mostly couples, you are with a couple, im there single,,
you ask the question, many hear it,,and stop to listen for the answer.... I may have 30 reasons why im not in a relationship and each one of them is a personal reason... that i dont feel i have to explain or justify or validate to you or whoever else is listening..

so here's my answer.... "thank you for asking, im being more patient, more particular, going for quality, not quantity, and congratulations to you,,,are you pregnant?? (no, youve put on some pounds and very pyssed someone would ask you such a thing)
you get offended and now want to leave,,,but see no correlation in the two public questions

Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
When I was single, my reply was to simply shrug my shoulders. If I knew the person who asked the question, I'd answer honestly that it was because I'm very picky since the disastrous relationship I had a couple years ago.

The people with snippy responses just sound super insecure that they're single.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
When I was single, my reply was to simply shrug my shoulders. If I knew the person who asked the question, I'd answer honestly that it was because I'm very picky since the disastrous relationship I had a couple years ago.
family members are usually easier on young ladies,,, its the young men they like to grind up..

the over protective dad at the table will usually shield the young ladies.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:05 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
"I don't need one"

Old 12-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
"I don't need one"
perfect-succint, to the point, no explanation needed

Old 12-14-2013, 09:21 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
family members are usually easier on young ladies,,, its the young men they like to grind up..

the over protective dad at the table will usually shield the young ladies.

HA HA You've never had dinner with my family then, because my dad used to lay it on pretty thick when I was single and often be the initial instigator and I'm the only girl in the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships