Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:23 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,496,398 times

Advertisements

Gesture to the empty spot beside you and introduce Manti Te'o's ex as your new girlfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:29 AM

9,009 posts, read 6,266,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
family members are usually easier on young ladies,,, its the young men they like to grind up..

the over protective dad at the table will usually shield the young ladies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
HA HA You've never had dinner with my family then, because my dad used to lay it on pretty thick when I was single and often be the initial instigator and I'm the only girl in the family.
I think it really is worst for the "only" member of a gender or generation. I was my paternal grandmothers only grandson and the pressure from her to hook up with a woman, any woman, was intense. She made George Steinbrenner Sr. look laid back.

Anyhow I withstood her pressure because I knew that her attitude towards relationships applied to this day and age would be very, very dangerous.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:00 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,271,296 times
I tell them I have no sex drive whatsoever and don't want anyone at all that way, which is the truth.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:13 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,720,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I really don't have an answer that will make some people happy, and when they first ask if I do have gf and I tell them no, they don't believe me.
Anyone who asks me such a stupid question doesn't get a second chance.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:17 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,299,446 times
I agree with The Dissenter who pointed out there is a difference in HOW the question if phrased. If someone asks you, "Do you have a girlfriend?" treat it as if it's a question as simple as, "Do you live in this town?" If they asked you that you would say, "No, I live in ___." So reply with a simple yes or no. "Yes, her name is Susan," or "No, not at the moment." Firmly, as if you are not inviting any additional inquires. Which means look them in the eye and don't be defensive. Whatever your reasons are for not having one, they are legitimate and you have nothing to apologize for.

If they persist in wanting to know why, you have two choices. If you think it will shut them up, go with the humor, which is best in the form of a subtle put down ("Oh, I didn't know you were interested," or "Aren't you the curious one.") Or challenge them with the reply, "Why do you ask?" That's my go-to reply when people ask me why I don't have children or why I don't drink. If the person actually does have a legitimate reason for asking the "why" question, let them explain it. That is in the realm of possibility, even though it's rare. But if their reason is they are just nosy, they have inappropriate social skills and you don't have to worry about insulting them with the response, "That's not something I discuss." Period. End of talk.

You are you. You have your personal reasons for the decisions you've made in your life. Never apologize for your choices and never feel the need to explain them unless you have been presented with a very legit reason as to why you should. If you actually do embrace that attitude, your body language will convey to others that you are not a person who suffers fools gladly.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:00 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,654,027 times
"No, just a lot of friends who are girls."

Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,896,688 times
Just reply...

Because the milk's free

Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,584,416 times
I have several friends who are boys. Some of them are married to my friends who are girls. I have a busy life. Friends I enjoy spending time with and lots of hobbies and work that I enjoy and I just ain't got time for that.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:50 PM

20 posts, read 28,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I really don't have an answer that will make some people happy, and when they first ask if I do have gf and I tell them no, they don't believe me.
I very almost didn't answer this because I'm doubtful that you will find decent discussion here. There are plenty of answers from people partnered who are teasing. What a waste.

To answer your question, I point out that to me, it seems lonely to need others to be happy. Something that's whole doesn't need another half. I'm single because I'm happy where I am in life and have never felt the need to follow society for fear of ridicule. I'm curious, adventurous and ambitous - all things which have meant that I have chosen living abroad and travel, education and career first. There is such a big, beautiful and exciting world out there and I can't explore it if I engage myself heavily, too young. I'm still quite young, I have tasted magnificent romance and I have no doubt when I'm ready, I'll find a partner.

A Buddhist proverb comes to mind: when the student is ready, the teacher appears. It's the same for romance I find.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:59 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,627,043 times
My answer:
Why, do you have someone in mind? I'd love to meet them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships