U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 02:19 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,566,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Its a media trend. It has nothing to do with how ppl react to "geeks". It doesn't mean that when the market stops saturating our airwaves with geeky crap that somehow people will resort back to bullying. That's silly
Point taken. But this is why labels are stupid. People have a wide variety of interest. Most people can and do enjoy geeky pursuits, including the jocks you speak of. Yet maintain a well balanced life.

Lance Briggs: The world's toughest comic-book geek - Chicago Tribune

Lance Briggs, NFL linebacker and comic book geek

Tim Duncan

Tim Duncan, 4-time NBA champion, future hall of famer and D&D player.

For the most part I do agree with you though. I just don't think the answer is simplistic as let's put more jocks back on T.V. I'd rather see the media just stop being so quick to slap the "geek" label on people just because they enjoy one or two "geeky" things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 02:51 PM

18,286 posts, read 23,418,375 times
revenge of the nerds was a pioneer movie that tackled this subject 30 yrs ago

i think 20 yrs ago ,,,geeks and nerds were no longer picked on,,,because,,,like bill gates,,,they rule the world..

Old 12-15-2013, 02:55 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,219,018 times
Default Nerds Rock

I was the "nerdy smart kid" in school. Picked on for not being the physical bullying jock type or even trying to engage the pecking order.

In the business I am in, the "jocks" perform the hardest labor for the least pay. They are in super physical shape and the ladies love em still.

The funny part is they look to me for guidance and approval. It's good to be the boss.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:22 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,502,972 times
I was the nerdy smart kid in school too but going to college I had my fill after meeting uber geeks with the worse social skills ever. It turned me off to the whole geek trend.

Also not everyone is a geek because they a quirky interest. Many ppl love comics and sci fi and other junk. A geek though is someone who takes it to another level and lives out the fantasy. I really this self labeling stuff people do thinking they're "nerds" because they have a strong like for comic books or Twilight or whatever.

Also in the workforce, even though I'm not a jock by any means and would be considered more of a nerd, hanging around actual "geeks" was always a pain. Some are insecure, overly competive or downright arrogant. Its a generalization of course but the point is that this media myth that every geek is somehow the next Bill Gatea is absurd

Old 12-16-2013, 07:49 AM

994 posts, read 1,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
I was the "nerdy smart kid" in school. Picked on for not being the physical bullying jock type or even trying to engage the pecking order.

In the business I am in, the "jocks" perform the hardest labor for the least pay. They are in super physical shape and the ladies love em still.

The funny part is they look to me for guidance and approval. It's good to be the boss.
I think the stereotype of all jocks having no intellectual capacity and only being physically capable is just as silly and simplistic as the stereotype of all geeks and nerds having no social skills and only being intellectually capable.

I went to a high school with nearly 4000 kids, and my peers are all finishing up undergrad now. A lot of the kids who played football and loved sports in general were in honors classes and are doing absolutely fine in college. They have great prospects ahead of them. A lot of the kids who were top scorers and finished towards the top of our class had fun in gym class - a number of them even played team sports after school - and they were pretty well-liked. They're also doing absolutely fine in college and have great prospects ahead of them.

In conclusion, stereotypes are stupid. I'm not doubting your reality, I'm just saying that your current experience is more of an urban myth than the norm.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,341,576 times
Let us not forget men such as myself. The Jockeek, a strong combination of the two!!
United States Marine, Rugby playing, physicist.

Ohh Rahh!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,502,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Let us not forget men such as myself. The Jockeek, a strong combination of the two!!
United States Marine, Rugby playing, physicist.

Ohh Rahh!
But that's not what's a geek though. All this self labeling is silly. There are tons of intelligent science grads with good social skills that play sports.

This geek trend is so silly it has anyone who studied anything remotely science based labeled a " geek".

Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,566,579 times
I think the answer would be to abolish labels entirely, that may be the only way to truly solve the problem. The term geek is slang and not officially recognized by any official academic dictionary. Because of that the meaning of the world will continue to be interpreted however people want to.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:18 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,341,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But that's not what's a geek though. All this self labeling is silly. There are tons of intelligent science grads with good social skills that play sports.

This geek trend is so silly it has anyone who studied anything remotely science based labeled a " geek".
May, I ask what do you consider geek?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or