Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 03:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Oh I know someone the exact same way, especially about cars. She has a nice Lexus but gets upset when one of her friends get a used Honda. In her mind, they don't deserve it. She literally thinks nobody else should own a car except for her. Sadly she seems to also see buying a car as some kind of huge accomplishment. For most people I know, they buy a car so they can drive to work every day. They aren't doing it to show off.

She also lives in nice, 5 bedroom home but freaks out when someone buys a little starter home to live in. She's like "where did they get the money for that? They can't afford that. They think they're all high and mighty now that they own a home". She can only feel comfortable around people who have little or nothing. For years, I was the only person she would spend much time with but I think it was because I was broke all the time and lived in a crap apartment. Once I started getting more in life, our friendship fell to pieces.
LOL....I think we know the same person.

Back in 2014 I casually mentioned in an email I was looking at cars, it was time. This "friend" right away started off with "you're not getting a new one are you". Unreal. I wasn't bragging, like you mentioned people buy cars so they get around. I was looking at economy cars, not Mercedes. First new car in over a decade.

Couldn't even hide their resentment. When I got the car couldn't even say "congrats".

This woman wants for nothing, owns a townhouse, has a good paying job, both her kids who are young adults never gave her any real problems, and both landed decent jobs after college given the shaky economy.

Still if someone else has something good happens like your 5 bedroom ex-friend is annoyed.

I really don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 03:45 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
I think my 5 bedroom friend just really felt nobody else should have the same things she did. She was probably even jealous of other people eating food. Or drinking water. Or getting a full night's sleep. Anyone being contended or comfortable made her uneasy and unhappy.

But here's something interesting about her. Her workplace gave psych profile tests to their employees - it was voluntary (I personally would never, ever participate in something like this where my employer could know the results). And she said her profile results showed that she had narcissistic tendencies. She said it didn't bother her because she liked herself too much to let things like that get to her.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:13 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
I think my 5 bedroom friend just really felt nobody else should have the same things she did. She was probably even jealous of other people eating food. Or drinking water. Or getting a full night's sleep. Anyone being contended or comfortable made her uneasy and unhappy.

But here's something interesting about her. Her workplace gave psych profile tests to their employees - it was voluntary (I personally would never, ever participate in something like this where my employer could know the results). And she said her profile results showed that she had narcissistic tendencies. She said it didn't bother her because she liked herself too much to let things like that get to her.
Aside from the obvious fact that your "friend" is insecure.

I've noticed that some strange people like surrounding themselves with people who are (or who they perceive) to be worse off than they are. It makes them feel good about themselves to appear to be the person in their social circle that has their crap together while the rest of their friends are a hot mess. It's like some type of queen bee or alpha dog high school stratification mentality that they never outgrow. So when someone else in their circle starts to come up it is threat to the metric they base their self-worth on.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:33 PM

[quote=tassity22;45958646]I think my 5 bedroom friend just really felt nobody else should have the same things she did. She was probably even jealous of other people eating food. Or drinking water. Or getting a full night's sleep. Anyone being contended or comfortable made her uneasy and unhappy.

But here's something interesting about her. Her workplace gave psych profile tests to their employees - it was voluntary (I personally would never, ever participate in something like this where my employer could know the results). And she said her profile results showed that she had narcissistic tendencies. She said it didn't bother her because she liked herself too much to let things like that get to her.[/QUOTE]

LOL...that is hysterical, the last part. You should love yourself, but when you think you're above others well people like that usually end up alone. They drive away relationships, friends, and often family members.

Nobody can stand to be around them after awhile.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I've noticed that some strange people like surrounding themselves with people who are (or who they perceive) to be worse off than they are. It makes them feel good about themselves to appear to be the person in their social circle that has their crap together while the rest of their friends are a hot mess.

True.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
her because she liked herself too much to let things like that get to her.[/QUOTE]

LOL...that is hysterical, the last part. You should love yourself, but when you think you're above others well people like that usually end up alone. They drive away relationships, friends, and often family members.

Nobody can stand to be around them after awhile.

Yeah, her reaction to the personality profile was very telling...that she really is a narcissist.

I actually did some google research on narcissism but I'd be curious to know if a lot of narcissists get jealous. It seems strange that they would, because it seems they like themselves too much to feel inferior around anyone else. But I don't know.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah, her reaction to the personality profile was very telling...that she really is a narcissist.

I actually did some google research on narcissism but I'd be curious to know if a lot of narcissists get jealous. It seems strange that they would, because it seems they like themselves too much to feel inferior around anyone else. But I don't know.
Oh they get very jealous, that is one of the main traits of a narcissist.

They could be doing fine, but God forbid they think or in their mind think someone else is doing better or is now doing better in life than they were before. It bothers the hell out of them

Just like the one you mentioned, and the one I mentioned.

Most people with a 5 bedroom house would be happy if others were able to buy a home. Narcissists with the possible exception of their children(who they see as extensions of themselves) just don't wish others well.

It's very disturbing, especially when you see it in people you know.

It's a disorder and not much can be done about it unless they're willing to change. In most cases they're not.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:54 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
This usually happens among my Lpn co-workers in my case.

We do the same job,but in their minds since i have a higher license i should get paid the same as them,because on the surface we do the same job,but i went to school longer(RN)
So they start trying to undermine anything i say,even though i could direct them clinically.

What really sets them off is when i tell them I was an Lpn first,and then I became an RN..

Old 10-27-2016, 08:23 AM

343 posts, read 316,833 times
I think that for the most part we only care about our own happiness. Sure we can express happiness for others, but only genuinely mean it when all it well in our world (even if we are just only satisfied), and if our life isn't going so great that is when we get jealous or envy those who are doing better by our standards. The fact that we care about others success because we care about them (be it a friend or whatever) is to a lesser extent than the above. But I think it depends on your competitive nature (if you have one), i could care less for the rat race. The grass is always greener if you don't like your own lawn.

I have also learned that there are a lot of users in this world who love to mooch off of others 'success'. Why break your back trying to make something good for and of yourself when you could take the easy way through life being co-dependent by riding on the coat tails of someone else's name/fame/game/etc? Bottom feeders, leaches, parasites, two-faced people who only care when you have something they want,....ugh...it's absolutely disgusting.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This usually happens among my Lpn co-workers in my case.

We do the same job,but in their minds since i have a higher license i should get paid the same as them,because on the surface we do the same job,but i went to school longer(RN)
So they start trying to undermine anything i say,even though i could direct them clinically.

What really sets them off is when i tell them I was an Lpn first,and then I became an RN..
I used to be a CNA. And although it may seem that most CNAs and LPNs want to eventually become RNs, the fact is that many do not want this. Some do, sure. And they may be envious. But many do not. I used to participate on a message board for CNAs and LPNs and often some RN would come along and tell us we should all be trying to get an RN; eventually we just banned them from the board altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships