U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,816,435 times

Advertisements

I like reading other people's year-end analyses letters . . . I wish they were more realistic and included the difficult stuff, as well as the good stuff, but realize people like to show themselves in the best light possible. It's entertaining for a minute or two.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:42 AM

20,070 posts, read 14,378,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, it very well COULD be viewed that way.
As I said before, it depends on the content and context.

some are awful, braggy and/or pompous and get tossed immediately.
Exactly. Those are the "letters" / updates I'm talking about.

Unfortunately, most (99%) seem to be that kind.

As for the OP, I'd have to read his/her letter to know for sure.

Personal and handwritten letters are always welcomed and appreciated.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 AM

5,897 posts, read 6,673,579 times
Sadly, the sending of Christmas cards is all but a dead practice. Hardly any younger folks send them, and many older people have just drifted away from this lovely exchange of good wishes.

I send perhaps 25 or so...and receive a similar number. Not sending me one for a particular year doesn't get you off the list, but after a couple of years running I pretty much assume that 'we' are over.

In the end it really depends on the quality of your friends and acquaintances. Folks with strong bonds tend to reciprocate and communicate in the written form somewhat regularly. Those which are weaker keep the door open 'just in case (as one poster previously put it) they need a place to stay' while traveling through.

It's a (not good) sign of the world in which we live.

As an aside, how many personal letters do YOU write in any given year? I am guessing most people average between zero and a small handful.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:16 PM

18,589 posts, read 23,136,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
When you are newly retired, like me, you might like to think about friends and relatives from the past that you just don't talk to anymore. In most cases there was no blow up, but instead we just drifted apart.

So I decided to try to reconnect and developed a nice letter that we sent to everyone, along with a Christmas card. I wrote a personal note to everyone on the card and included a report on what my wife and I have been doing this year in a copied letter. I sent it to about 100 people. About 3/4 of them we did not talk to last year for some reason but we had been close to at one point.

Do you send a holiday card and letter to old friends you have lost touch with? If you got such a card from an old friend you had not talked to for years, how would you respond?

Interesting idea and a social experiment, of sorts. How would I respond? I'd be thrilled! If even one quarter of the people that you sent cards and a letter to respond, and you have some kind of contact in the coming year - WOW! What a gift and a "win win" situation for you and for your friends.

I think that especially as we age, i interpersonal relationships become so important an vital to our health - mentally, spiritually and physically!

I LOVE this idea! And with that, I'm going to send out a batch of Christmas cards today!

Old 12-16-2013, 12:44 PM

16,227 posts, read 22,544,965 times
Yes, I have found that 9times out of 10, they only send me a Christmas card, because I sent them one first. Screw that! I`ll save my stamp!

Old 12-16-2013, 12:54 PM

469 posts, read 551,617 times
Default I still send a few cards--

to people I know don't have internet access and we've corresponded going back 40-50 years. Used to enjoy sending and receiving cards and letters. I've learned not to expect any reciprocation. I've had people tell me they think sending cards is a waste of my time and money! (So no more for them-hmmmph!) Still send a few e-cards, as well, don't hear much about those, either. I think people are too caught up with Facebook to care!

Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM

5,414 posts, read 5,387,465 times
OP It is a shame how things have changed, but the truth is times have changed.

We have received letters like yours going back 15 yrs., about the new "grandchild", the dogs latest operation, the vacation in Hawaii, etc. Although the intention may have been tying to let us know what they have been up to during the year, their divorce should not have been put in a Christmas letter IMO. If you really want to talk to me pick up the phone, I will answer and it will not be a recording.

I sent out about 60 cards this year to the same friends and family that send them to me, with a brief note to each of them. Have a Merry Christmas.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:50 PM

6,343 posts, read 7,798,050 times
I always sent cards with a personal, handwritten note included. (Different in each card) But as I've aged, I find myself sending fewer cards and shorter notes. My life isn't nearly as exciting as it used to be; not even to me so I'm sure no one else would be interested!

I have a couple of aunts and uncles still living and I send them cards. I have a high-school friend with whom I correspond frequently. (She refuses to sign up for an e-mail account)

If anyone sends me a pre-printed form letter, I'm not going to think, "How nice!" I get those from my insurance company, the gas company, and the bank, telling me all that they've done to improve my experience with them and wishing me well in the new year. And it comes in the same envelope as the current bill!

I'd rather have a short note, after the holiday crush is over, telling me that your life is going as planned and that you miss me like crazy. THAT would make me glad to hear from you.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM

20,070 posts, read 14,378,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I always sent cards with a personal, handwritten note included. (Different in each card) But as I've aged, I find myself sending fewer cards and shorter notes. My life isn't nearly as exciting as it used to be; not even to me so I'm sure no one else would be interested!

I have a couple of aunts and uncles still living and I send them cards. I have a high-school friend with whom I correspond frequently. (She refuses to sign up for an e-mail account)

If anyone sends me a pre-printed form letter, I'm not going to think, "How nice!" I get those from my insurance company, the gas company, and the bank, telling me all that they've done to improve my experience with them and wishing me well in the new year. And it comes in the same envelope as the current bill!

I'd rather have a short note, after the holiday crush is over, telling me that your life is going as planned and that you miss me like crazy. THAT would make me glad to hear from you.
Great post!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:04 PM

5,907 posts, read 5,258,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Id read a short note; 3 paragraphs? Not likely. Definitely wouldnt respond with a card or mail. Havent put a stamp on an envelope for years. Id assume the letter was the same windy note that was send in all of your other cards, whether you sent 5 or 500.

Ive always wondered about people who send those long mini -bios in their cards. What makes them think people are that interested in your life, other than people you are already close to, who already know everything.

Cynical maybe, just seems a bit pretentious.
So I guess you have never sent a sympathy card or made a memorial contribution since you haven't put a stamp on an envelope in years. That's kind of sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships