Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:10 AM

2,437 posts, read 2,723,069 times

Advertisements

I've sent christmas cards since high school. As I've aged and my friends married, had families, etc. The cards became photo cards of their cards. A few years back I decided I'd share my "family". So each year we go to the local humane society shelter and for a small donation, the dogs get a pic with Santa. I've had great responses to it, people think its hysterical that my two 70 pound babies are dressed up and hanging with Santa. Last year we were preparing a big move and didn't get around to doing pictures. I actually received a few Facebook and emails asking why not.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:59 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,787,316 times
In yesterday's mail was 15 Christmas cards most with a newsletter attached from people who I had not heard from in years. I enjoyed the newsletter and thinking about being friends with these people years ago and how life has changed for both of us.

A few Holiday Cards had no note, or newsletter, they ended up in the trash.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:55 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,393,955 times
So basically this was some sort of bizarre "test" for people?

Yeah, I can't imagine why you had such problems with people that you were fired and now devite your days to complaining on the internet.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,489,245 times
I would be very happy to receive a Christmas letter from an out of touch friend.
I have sent out cards and received no response. That was hurtful

Old 12-18-2013, 10:50 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,819,746 times
It appears that a lot of people are projecting all sorts of things onto the sending and receiving of Christmas cards. Some here have said that their feelings are hurt at not getting cards in response to their own cards, while others are miffed at the lack of lengthy messages, yet others are offended by those same sort of lengthy messages.

It looks to me as if many people are assuming their own personal circumstances apply to their extended family and circle of friends.

Folks, that just ain't so. There may be many reasons why cards are skipped one year, contain nothing more than the sender's name, arrive belatedly, and so on. I usually get cards out to my extended family and closest out-of-town friends shortly after Thanksgiving. That didn't happen this year, because of a string of three unexpected misfortunes which followed closely upon one another, each necessitating considerable time and energy and attention; all of which have put me way behind on Christmas preparations.

My head is barely above water right now, Christmas-preparation-wise, and I really need to get offline and finish decorating my tree, wrapping packages, baking cookies, mailing out-of-town gifts, delivering in-town gifts, planning my wardrobe for immediately post-Christmas travel, along with replacing that brand-new, twice-used Pyrex casserole dish I broke earlier this morning, see about getting the late-fallen leaves raked from at least my front yard, driving over to a nearby town to deal with a pesky business interest, moving some stuff out of the trunk of my car to the basement, double-checking with my Christmas dinner guests, setting the table, put away wrapping paper and ribbon, doing a couple of loads of laundry, vacuuming and dusting, washing the kitchen and bathroom floors....it's never-ending, this year especially.

So please don't get your feelings hurt if you don't get a card or a call from me promptly this year. If you are really concerned about me, email me or call me and ask me what's going on. Better yet, come over and rake my yard for me and help me and my bad back lug stuff down to the basement. Oh yes, a new baking dish would be a very welcome pre-Christmas present!

Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,483,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

You think that was a revelation to those who've followed your posts with dropped jaws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
So basically this was some sort of bizarre "test" for people?
He's a mildly interesting psychological case which I won't think about labeling as I'm no trained psychiatrist or psychologist. But I agree that, yes, his perpetual threads are "tests" and very boringly the same. If you're interested you can read his other threads and a familiar pattern quickly emerges of a very disgruntled and unfulfilled man who's simply never amounted to anything much above mediocre although his aspirations and self-assessment have always been so much higher.

He just never "got it" either where work or play was concerned and now, undergoing forced retirement but anxious to get back into the workforce (obviously not very successfully thus far) he uses his mammoth amount of free time to conjure up new CD threads to get some much-needed anonymous attention. Which he gets, so all is good!

Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,588,070 times
I don't know about the underlying animoisity that the OP seems to be generating but I enjoyed reading this thread.

I do send cards. Not so many this year. Belatedly. Some years I don't. Do I get many back ? Sometimes. Sometimes not much. I don't care. I love reading the letters. Most are about the people concerned and I like that. I don't much care for the ones with just signatures but I appreciate the effort. I like family pictures, seeing who the children look like, how they have grown......

I didn't get the impresssion that the OP was posing some sort of test. I thought he sounded like he now had the time to send out cards and did a blanket mailing in hopes of making a connection with people maybe long out of touch with. Sort of like looking up someone you were friends with in HS, 30 years later, in Classmates.com. Why not ?

the negative responses......I threw in the trash.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:17 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,127,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
In yesterday's mail was 15 Christmas cards most with a newsletter attached from people who I had not heard from in years. I enjoyed the newsletter and thinking about being friends with these people years ago and how life has changed for both of us.

Why?

And I only read the first and last page of this thread thus far and there are so many negative Nellies here.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:24 PM

22,299 posts, read 47,253,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I didn't get the impresssion that the OP was posing some sort of test. I thought he sounded like he now had the time to send out cards and did a blanket mailing in hopes of making a connection with people maybe long out of touch with. Sort of like looking up someone you were friends with in HS, 30 years later, in Classmates.com. Why not ?
Because unless you also include a "newsletter", you are deemed worthless by the OP. Your card is immediately trashed.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,787,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Because unless you also include a "newsletter", you are deemed worthless by the OP. Your card is immediately trashed.
The Newsletters were interesting to read and humanized the sender, a simple unsigned card with an address label developed using the label section of Microsoft Word, is so empty and cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships