U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:02 PM

912 posts, read 1,244,764 times

Advertisements

I laughed, not going to lie.

You've made it clear for years that you don't want to exchange gifts, I find it silly that they won't honor it.

I love giving gifts (and...well, I love receiving them, too), but I keep the list to immediate family and very close friends.

What I love about giving gifts is finding something that is perfect for the gift recipient. I'm not a huge fan of gift cards in general, unless the recipient is clear that that's their wish. I'd rather just receive/give a nice card with a personal message rather than get an impersonal gift card to a store that's not near me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 01:17 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,457,097 times
Didn't you post about this last year?

Old 12-17-2013, 01:21 PM

5,505 posts, read 8,835,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Didn't you post about this last year?
Yes I did. Last year she sent me the same gift card. I wish I would of thought to use it like I did this year.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,142,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Yes I did. Last year she sent me the same gift card. I wish I would of thought to use it like I did this year.
Instead of acting like a juvenile (and tacky, yes), I suppose it didn't even occur to you to have told your sister a long time ago that PetSmart isn't convenient for you. You (gasp) could have thanked her very much but suggested a gift card to a pet store or supplier closer/more convenient. In any event, wouldn't surprise me in the least if the gift was less for you than for your animals who probably have more class than you and are much more appreciative.

I doubt we'll be seeing this same situation cropping up in a thread this time next year ...

Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM

3,445 posts, read 5,042,370 times
Should have used the gift card to purchase a few live mice and sent that to your sister for her cats

Old 12-17-2013, 02:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,765,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Yeah. You could have re-gifted it to someone else OTHER than you sister. You essentially refused the gift.
Not really. Did not send her the same gift card. And it is something she could use.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:13 PM

42,695 posts, read 41,426,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Instead of acting like a juvenile (and tacky, yes), I suppose it didn't even occur to you to have told your sister a long time ago that PetSmart isn't convenient for you. You (gasp) could have thanked her very much but suggested a gift card to a pet store or supplier closer/more convenient. In any event, wouldn't surprise me in the least if the gift was less for you than for your animals who probably have more class than you and are much more appreciative.

I doubt we'll be seeing this same situation cropping up in a thread this time next year ...
He did find out he can use it online.

But I don't see the big deal. 1) Use it online and have stuff shipped to his house or, 2) He buys her a gift he was going to spend money on anyway.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:29 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,142,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
... He buys her a gift he was going to spend money on anyway.
I thought it was pretty clear from his first post that he doesn't send gifts to his siblings any more, viz:

"I am 50 years old and have tried to get my siblings off the "gift giving" thing with me. .. For some reason my siblings insist on sending me gifts. I am just not into it. Rather than respect my feelings they send me something anyways."

Old 12-17-2013, 02:34 PM

6,475 posts, read 9,893,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Not really. Did not send her the same gift card. And it is something she could use.
He sent her the same thing, though it may have a different face.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:34 PM

42,695 posts, read 41,426,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I thought it was pretty clear from his first post that he doesn't send gifts to his siblings any more, viz:

"I am 50 years old and have tried to get my siblings off the "gift giving" thing with me. .. For some reason my siblings insist on sending me gifts. I am just not into it. Rather than respect my feelings they send me something anyways."
So now he's just helping her get her shopping done!

I buy restaurant gift cards for my elderly grandmother. When she told me the closest O'Charley's was 30 miles from her house, I stopped buying O'Charley's gift cards and started buying Cracker Barrel.

But some people don't listen. Me, if someone on the "edge" of my gift-giving list complains about a gift, I don't waste anymore money on them and stop sending gifts.

So Wartrace, man up and tell your sister you appreciate it, but she should save her money and stop sending you the gift card. If she persists, mail it to the local animal shelter as a donation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships