U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,457,726 times

Advertisements

If I won, I would help people anonymously. I would not want to be bothered with people asking for things, so they would not know it was me.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 AM

22,457 posts, read 24,016,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I would get a rush out of this type of stuff (look how excited people get over a few hundred bucks in groceries)

Paying for People's Groceries - YouTube
That's sweet. This story gets me, too: Secret Santa brings pre-Christmas cheer - Videos - CBS News

Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 AM

2,143 posts, read 1,256,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Don't tell anyone you won the money. Send out anonymous checks, and when they see all your new stuff, say you got an anonymous check too.
Love this idea! You need to give your name in most states, which is sad. People you have not seen forever, are suddenly your long lost best friend.

Sure would be great to test all these ideas, where would you put all that dough??? I would do something towards hunger; that's a biggie! My kids would get a bunch for sure!!!

How can we stamp out some of these horrid memory loss diseases? Fund research to find a way to stop violence??

Well, better luck next time!!

Old 12-18-2013, 08:22 AM

10,111 posts, read 12,161,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My approach?

If I won the lottery big time (By that, I mean at least $100 million), I would probably kick a lump-sum payment to my mother, my in-laws, and my brothers and sister. Something like $250,000 each, done in a way that minimizes their taxes. That way, I could say that I did indeed share the wealth.

Taxes are on you as the giver, not the receiver! You give 250K to someone, first 14K is tax free, then it is 50% gift tax on the rest (meaning you owe the IRS 118K). So your 250K gift actually cost you 368K!

There are one time lifetime exclusions that count against your estate when you die but the limits have fluctuated over the last few years.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 AM

950 posts, read 1,436,186 times
Yes! And by the way, I'm your long lost cousin, whom you've never met!

Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 AM

2,755 posts, read 5,309,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I just won a 100 million Dollar lottery!

(Well, not really, but I can dream, can't I?)

If I really won, being in my sixties, my wife and I don't have the energy or health to spend all that money the same way someone young could. So maybe I should:

Finally give lots of money to my sister, who is in an out of homeless shelters because she does not want to work.

Give a guaranteed income to my much younger brothers, who all work in low wage unskilled labor jobs, and have been broke since they moved out of the house since they were 18.

Support some of my friends who would cut me off if I did not give them a lot of the money.

I would be rich, rich rich, don't they deserve a significant amount of the money because of their connection to me?
All the money in the wold won't solve your sister's problems. If I were you and won, move to Alaska!

Old 12-18-2013, 08:35 AM

3,883 posts, read 3,558,903 times
Quote:
I
Finally give lots of money to my sister, who is in an out of homeless shelters because she does not want to work.

Give a guaranteed income to my much younger brothers, who all work in low wage unskilled labor jobs, and have been broke since they moved out of the house since they were 18.

Support some of my friends who would cut me off if I did not give them a lot of the money.
Maybe set up a trust for your ne'er-do-well siblings that gives them a steady stream of modest income. Don't give them a bunch of no-strings-attached money because they may end up burning through it.

Screw the "friends" who would cut you off if you don't give them money. Maybe throw a nice party and invite them, but I don't see a reason to give them any money if you're worried they'll "cut you off".

Old 12-18-2013, 09:44 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,470,620 times
Before I told anyone, I'd ask everyone for a small loan, $5, $25... something almost insignificant. Those that loaned to me would get repaid with a lot of 00's added to the loan. Those that didn't, well, karma is a wonderful thing!

And there are some charities that would greatly benefit and as for the kids, I would give them each enough for college if they choose to use it (one is in college now) but they still would have to earn their own way through life.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:08 AM

2,697 posts, read 4,635,438 times
Dude, I will just flat-out ask:

WHY do you keep posting bizarre hypothetical stories and made-up stories under different serial screennames?

Is it, like, a psychological problem?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:11 PM

914 posts, read 773,917 times
Quote:
I just won a 100 million Dollar lottery!

(Well, not really, but I can dream, can't I?)

If I really won, being in my sixties, my wife and I don't have the energy or health to spend all that money the same way someone young could. So maybe I should:

I would be rich, rich rich, don't they deserve a significant amount of the money because of their connection to me?
Hummmm...
MY own take would be this:

Your younger brothers...give them a stipend to supplement their low-income jobs...not so much that they could then quit those jobs...just enough to where they would be okay.

Your sister. Offer her this: Get a job, hold it. Match her salary dollar for dollar...or even two for every one she earns if you wish. don't make it easy for her to not work just because she doesn't want to work. Hsit, most of us don't wanna work, either!!

Your friends: If they would cut you off because you did not give them money, then they are not friends. give to them if you WANT to, but do not feel OBLIGATED to in any way.

Nobody deserves anything from you unless you want to give it to them.

THAT said, I'd personally hope you'd give a significant portion of it to charities that help people, Salvation Army, food banks, etc...maybe some to a cause like St. Jude's, and because I am an animal lover, I would suggest some for the ASPCA.

Now - to quantify my underlined statement above...this does NOT mean that your taxes should not go to help programs from the government that assist people in need. You don't get to decide where your taxes go...and you owe what the government says you owe, and if you don't like that, then work to change the laws, or deal with it.

But as to your immediate family, above is how I'd handle it. A stipend to your brothers...assuming that they also keep their jobs....and a match to your sister for any money she earns on a legitimate job. and if she CAN'T get a legitimate job, let her do volunteer work, and you can pay her for that. But she should not just get to lay around like a lazy beached whale just because she don't WANNA work. Like I said, MOST of us don't WANNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships