U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:09 PM

18,278 posts, read 23,409,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
If you won Mega Millions. . . .

A large percentage of your winnings would be paid in the form of taxes.

Allow the government that is a third party mediator between the rich and the poor to do it's job and make sure that the money you already paid in taxes from your winnings is distributed as needed to those that attempt to make a claim on it because they have less than you.
those poor are voters,,,and they seem to listen to freebees..
however...theyve been voting predominately for one party for 40 yrs,,,,and have things got better for them??

you'd think they would want jobs,,not dependency

Old 12-18-2013, 06:20 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,026,464 times
Your first mistake would have been to tell anyone else you won. The best fun of all is to be able to help others, including your family members, anonymously!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:16 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,840,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Your first mistake would have been to tell anyone else you won. The best fun of all is to be able to help others, including your family members, anonymously!
Agreed. If I could enjoy my money anonymously, that would be perfect. I would probably move to my dream location, buy a nice but modest house and then be involved in a whirlwind of charitable giving....scholarships for needy kids, donations, etc.

Giving to relatives that have made really poor decisions in life? I'm pretty soft hearted and would help them out but I wouldn't support them 100 percent or be moneybags for their lifestyle. I do like the idea of setting up trusts though, especially for their kids.

It is fun to think about though.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 AM

7,436 posts, read 7,982,694 times
You could help out your City data friends. I use some help with these bills

Old 12-19-2013, 09:40 AM

8,623 posts, read 6,222,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes, and you can buy a big house to host them all at Thanksgiving, and then buy smart phones for all of them at Christmas!!!

Obama thought of that before you did!

Old 12-19-2013, 11:24 AM

6,351 posts, read 5,435,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
Agreed. If I could enjoy my money anonymously, that would be perfect. I would probably move to my dream location, buy a nice but modest house and then be involved in a whirlwind of charitable giving....scholarships for needy kids, donations, etc.

Giving to relatives that have made really poor decisions in life? I'm pretty soft hearted and would help them out but I wouldn't support them 100 percent or be moneybags for their lifestyle. I do like the idea of setting up trusts though, especially for their kids.

It is fun to think about though.

Yes, I would definitely do that. We have a niece that we don't really communicate with, but she's heavily in debt due to gambling. I'd put money in trust for her kids' education, but I wouldn't give her anything. It would just end up in Vegas.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:23 PM

248 posts, read 399,957 times
I would not give huge sums of money to friends or relatives because:
1) let's face it, most people are just not disciplined enough to handle such money;
2) there are tax consequences.
I would pay off mortgages and debt for those who (I feel) deserve it and set up a trust with a monthly stipend for my closest relatives and friends (the ones who are like relatives ). I will accept Christmas wish lists annually, but it will be at my discretion which wishes I will fulfill (read how much money I will be willing to spend).

I would not donate to charity unless I can see where the money is going. There are too many charities that keep most of donations for themselves. Did you know that many require only 20% of donations to go to cause? The rest supports fat salaries and "business trips in style" of those in charge. No money for these guys.

I would help our local homeless and women's shelters because I know the people who run them. These guys would have my ongoing support. But with some programs implemented from the list below, we may not require homeless shelter services in the future, I hope .

Other plans for my area/community include:

a) drug rehab for people who are ready to change their lives and just need support and guidance, my rehab would allow recovering addicts to stay at the facility for at least a year, with later transition to a half-way house for another 6-12 months. Job training and help with job search will be provided.
The rehab will have huge garden, chickens, ducks and, maybe, a few pigs or sheep. All recovering addicts will be required to work in their free time. Manual labor does wonders for the idle mind .
(The 30-60 days stays rehabs currently offer are a joke. And for people without insurance choices are extremely limited or, in my area, none);

b) job-training center for young people, but also anyone else wanting such services;

c) Meditation Center where everyone is welcome, regardless of their religious affiliation or lack thereof (yoga, Pilates, and philosophical conversations included);

d) public track and field stadium (with soccer field) and public gym;

e) town park, old-fashioned style, with walking alleys and benches (includes children's park);

f) public pools (two indoor, two outdoor should be enough);

g) alcohol-free dance club for teens;

h) more books, DVDs and computers for our beautiful library;

i) research and development of local businesses to provide jobs for local population;
there are some old building that can be remodeled and reused;

j) purchase and rehab (HABITAT style) of foreclosed homes (why build new houses for families in need when we have many sitting empty);

k) scholarship programs, especially for kids going into medical and science fields;

l) town daycare (free to locals, reasonable for nearby towns), with learning programs for early child development;

m) public health clinic with a lot more capabilities than average health dept clinic;

n) alternative medicine clinic (acupuncture, reflexology, yoga, reiki, herbal medicine, etc.);

o) public pharmacy (with very strict policy on narcotics and other strong pain killers);

etc, etc, not necessarily in that order.

These are just some of my ideas, I decided not to go all the way to Z, the list is long enough already

Old 12-19-2013, 07:49 PM

914 posts, read 773,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
1) let's face it, most people are just not disciplined enough to handle such money;
I would pay off mortgages and debt for those who (I feel) deserve it and set up a trust with a monthly stipend for my closest relatives and friends (the ones who are like relatives ). I will accept Christmas wish lists annually, but it will be at my discretion which wishes I will fulfill (read how much money I will be willing to spend).

I would not donate to charity unless I can see where the money is going. There are too many charities that keep most of donations for themselves. Did you know that many require only 20% of donations to go to cause? The rest supports fat salaries and "business trips in style" of those in charge. No money for these guys.

I would help our local homeless and women's shelters because I know the people who run them. These guys would have my ongoing support. But with some programs implemented from the list below, we may not require homeless shelter services in the future, I hope .

a) drug rehab for people who are ready to change their lives and just need support and guidance, my rehab would allow recovering addicts to stay at the facility for at least a year, with later transition to a half-way house for another 6-12 months. Job training and help with job search will be provided.
The rehab will have huge garden, chickens, ducks and, maybe, a few pigs or sheep. All recovering addicts will be required to work in their free time. Manual labor does wonders for the idle mind .
(The 30-60 days stays rehabs currently offer are a joke. And for people without insurance choices are extremely limited or, in my area, none);

b) job-training center for young people, but also anyone else wanting such services;

c) Meditation Center where everyone is welcome, regardless of their religious affiliation or lack thereof (yoga, Pilates, and philosophical conversations included);

e) town park, old-fashioned style, with walking alleys and benches (includes children's park);

i) research and development of local businesses to provide jobs for local population;

j) purchase and rehab (HABITAT style) of foreclosed homes (why build new houses for families in need when we have many sitting empty);

k) scholarship programs, especially for kids going into medical and science fields;

l) town daycare (free to locals, reasonable for nearby towns), with learning programs for early child development;

m) public health clinic with a lot more capabilities than average health dept clinic;

n) alternative medicine clinic (acupuncture, reflexology, yoga, reiki, herbal medicine, etc.);

o) public pharmacy (with very strict policy on narcotics and other strong pain killers);

These are just some of my ideas, I decided not to go all the way to Z, the list is long enough already

I'm liking your list.
But I'm not noticing anything to help the homeless pets.
How about a no-kill shelter for dogs and cats? Your rehab people could fill some of their work time in caring for the animals.

I'd also hope your job training center also offered individual help for authoring resumes, and interviewing technique. The skills alone are no good if you can't land a job.

Also, would your drug rehab be voluntary, or could people be sent there? and would it also treat for alcohol addiction? Alcohol addiction ruins more lives and more families than narcotics ever could.

Basically, Zen...you seem to like to take a town, and turn it into the liberal idea of Utopia...almost a commune, as it were. Methinks you and I are fellow travelers.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,026,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post

What wonderful ideas you have! It's a shame more people like you don't get access to large sums of money...but we do what we can do when we can do it. If you ever decide to run for political office, let me know and I'll vote for you if I can!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:04 AM

248 posts, read 399,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
I'm liking your list.
But I'm not noticing anything to help the homeless pets.
How about a no-kill shelter for dogs and cats? Your rehab people could fill some of their work time in caring for the animals.
Thank you for pointing that out. How could I forget about four-legged "children" ? I have 4 of those myself, all adopted.
There definitely will be a new (bigger and better) building provided for our local animal shelter. It will become no-kill. Free spaying and neutering will be provided for all pets as well, regardless of whether they are homeless or not. Vaccinations will be provided for a price of vaccine.
And yes, people in recovery will be working at the shelter (thank you for another great idea!), work with animals is very therapeutic for mental health as proven by many studies.

Quote:
I'd also hope your job training center also offered individual help for authoring resumes, and interviewing technique. The skills alone are no good if you can't land a job.
Absolutely. Work/office attire will be provided as well if needed.

Quote:
Also, would your drug rehab be voluntary, or could people be sent there? and would it also treat for alcohol addiction? Alcohol addiction ruins more lives and more families than narcotics ever could.
You are absolutely right, alcohol addiction is more wide spread than drug addiction. And yes, all substance addictions will be treated at my rehab (I will build several if needed). The admission will be voluntary. From my experience working with drug addicts, only those who decided for themselves that it is time to quit - will succeed. The ones forced to go into rehab by families or court usually fail to stay clean and relapse (another reason could be the very short stays, they do not give enough time even for a body to recover, not to mention the mind).
We will accept referrals from local hospitals (for patients that ended up in Emergency Room or Intensive Care Units) and, possibly, jail.

There will be a crisis/stabilization unit where patients will be weened off of drugs in a safe environment under supervision of medical personnel. I would hope that many then will decide to enter rehab. There is an advantage of being weened off and not forced to go off of drugs/alcohol "cold turkey", which causes horrendous withdrawal symptoms, which than causes the need for a "fix" to make symptoms go away. Thus, vicious circle continues.

Quote:
Basically, Zen...you seem to like to take a town, and turn it into the liberal idea of Utopia...almost a commune, as it were.
Liberal Utopia? I am not sure. I did not think about it this way...
Commune... yes, I guess there will be some elements of that. I do believe that people in general became too selfish. I would like to try and curb "me-me-me" attitude and teach them to think more in a sense of "us" and what is good for "us" as town, as community, not just "me".

What good are my millions, mac-mansion and super expensive cars I can buy, if 2 block away is a run-down house with hungry children and meth addicted parents?
I know, some will say that I can move to... Bahamas, for example, and live the beach life for the rest of my days. Yes, I could. But I would not be satisfied.
I would be a lot happier seeing my town transform.

Quote:
Methinks you and I are fellow travelers.
High-five, sister!
As soon as I win, I'll tell you know where I live, and, hopefully, you'll decide to move here and help out. I will need all the help I can get from like-minded travelers. This will be a huge undertaking

Last edited by Zen Dragonfly; 12-20-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships