Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times

Advertisements

It's none of our business what you should do with it or who you should give it to. That would be the great and horrible thing about winning the lottery -- who gets what and who doesn't.

If it was me winning $100 million, I'd give each of my kids and step kids and my sibs and my wife's sibs each a cool million or two. All except one (step-daughter) is prosperous as it is, but I think they'd take it since I'd never have a use for that much money. It probably wouldn't change the lifestyle much for my wife and me, as at our ages "things" just don't matter. We'd both quit work, buy an bigger camper, and travel around the country as long as our health let us do so.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:31 PM

325 posts, read 577,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I just won a 100 million Dollar lottery!
If I really won, being in my sixties, my wife and I don't have the energy or health to spend all that money the same way someone young could.
Your family was there before you became rich and will be there afterwards. Have them sign a five year non-disclosure statement and move on with your life.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:36 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I just won a 100 million Dollar lottery!

(Well, not really, but I can dream, can't I?)

If I really won, being in my sixties, my wife and I don't have the energy or health to spend all that money the same way someone young could. So maybe I should:

Finally give lots of money to my sister, who is in an out of homeless shelters because she does not want to work.

Give a guaranteed income to my much younger brothers, who all work in low wage unskilled labor jobs, and have been broke since they moved out of the house since they were 18.

Support some of my friends who would cut me off if I did not give them a lot of the money.

I would be rich, rich rich, don't they deserve a significant amount of the money because of their connection to me?
Well since you think your wealthy son should support you, then yes, you probably should help all of those people.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well since you think your wealthy son should support you, then yes, you probably should help all of those people.
Indeed. This! I wonder why the question was even asked.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Give everyone something to be sure they are comfortable and as happy as possible. Perhaps you could do a little research or talk to some people who are actually wealthy to see what they do.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:50 PM

325 posts, read 577,080 times
Hire an attorney familiar with trusts and limited liability corporations. If you choose to have an LLC - it would eliminate the gen pop from finding out who you are. Hire two financial advisors and between the three, they should be able to give you competent advice.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Do you love your family members despite their quirks or poor choices in life?

If the answer is other than a cold, hard "no" --then buy each of them a modest home (with solar panels) and each a new electric car.

Set up some spending money in an account that can only be touched once a month. Then, wish them well and hope for the best.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:00 PM

17,303 posts, read 22,039,209 times
I got a rule..... I would never share with anyone that didn't buy a ticket for themselves! If they didn't believe they had a shot at winning then why would they believe I would share anything with them?

I know a guy (grew up with him), he has no money, one scam job after another (you know the ones in the classifieds that ask: Do you want to earn 5K a week working 12 hours a week from home?). He said he never buys any tickets because he wouldn't need to since everyone he knows would share with him.....it just struck me wrong.

The IRS has gift limits (14k per person per year) after that threshold the gift giver is hit with a 50% gift tax. Give you sister 10mm and you owe the IRS 5mm next year.....yeah I'll pass on that fantasy! People are weird with money, you could offer to buy a nice home and let them live there for free but that could easily turn into a nightmare.

I have relatives that would get ZER0, nada, zilch......I would rather walk up to a complete stranger and hand them $5000. Some folks would get a million and quickly ask "Why not 2mm?"

I would get a rush out of this type of stuff (look how excited people get over a few hundred bucks in groceries)

Paying for People's Groceries - YouTube

Old 12-17-2013, 08:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
My cousin knew a guy that won 40 million.

He gathered up all his relatives and told them he would pay off the mortgages and credit card bills and not to ask or expect anything else...

He set his two high school buddies up and within two years they blew through it all.

This was about 25 years ago for a time reference.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-17-2013 at 08:19 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 08:08 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I got a rule..... I would never share with anyone that didn't buy a ticket for themselves! If they didn't believe they had a shot at winning then why would they believe I would share anything with them?

I know a guy (grew up with him), he has no money, one scam job after another (you know the ones in the classifieds that ask: Do you want to earn 5K a week working 12 hours a week from home?). He said he never buys any tickets because he wouldn't need to since everyone he knows would share with him.....it just struck me wrong.

The IRS has gift limits (14k per person per year) after that threshold the gift giver is hit with a 50% gift tax. Give you sister 10mm and you owe the IRS 5mm next year.....yeah I'll pass on that fantasy! People are weird with money, you could offer to buy a nice home and let them live there for free but that could easily turn into a nightmare.

I have relatives that would get ZER0, nada, zilch......I would rather walk up to a complete stranger and hand them $5000. Some folks would get a million and quickly ask "Why not 2mm?"

I would get a rush out of this type of stuff (look how excited people get over a few hundred bucks in groceries)

Paying for People's Groceries - YouTube
Man, it's late and my tired old brain forgot about Uncle Sammy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships