Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:34 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,284 times

Advertisements

This is yet another rant of mine directed primarily at gen y. I am sure I will be roasted over the coals for this one but oh well.

I have been an avid fan of live music for the past year or so. While I am not the biggest fan of bar hopping or clubbing, I have obviously been to a few over the past year or so.
Anyway, what really irks me about going out at night is the fact that I constantly witness people putting on fronts and conducting themselves as if they have a chip on their shoulders in general. For instance, the predominant focus of many people at concerts is to record said musician and send them to their herd on social media to proclaim what a superior time they are having than their less "cultured" counterparts. Crowds at electronic music events are the worst because they make a special effort to portray the most decadent appearance and want to make it very clear what a great time they are having engaged in the "PLUR" lifestyle; even though that ideology is largely fueled by MDMA and not necessarily a genuine desire to connect with others. I am in no way against the use of recreational drugs, it is just the trendiness behind some of it that is quite ridiculous. Generally I feel a pretentious and off putting vibe from concert goers and most of the time people circulate in clicks and are very reluctant to branch out (unless under the influence of MDMA of course).

It is no secret what the objective is for men in the bar/club scene, and although there's nothing particularly wrong with that it certainly gets repetitive. Unfortunately this leads to the alpha male dynamic in which the most boisterous men fight over the most attractive women at the bar, causing many women to put up uninviting fronts to avoid these advances. I personally could never get on board with this mentality so bars are pretty much out of the question for me to meet a potential love interest. Also, you can tell how pretentious an establishment is going to be by how many yelp/urbanspoon/foursquare stickers are on it. An abundance of these accolades almost unanimously translates to a holier than thou clientele. All in all, the nightlife scene has largely become an outlet for those looking to prove their worth rather than having a laid back, unpretentious night with friends. I have been looking in to Europe a bit more and am under the impression that the nightlife there is more genuine and less about labels like it is here. Good places can still be found in the US but it is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Anyway, it is difficult for young people like myself who don't care for the social climate at these places to meet people. My next course of action for the new year is to attend more meetups, outdoor trips, and volunteer exhibitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
You would get along great with this guy:

Friends and relatives ridicule me for not having a SMARTPHONE!!

Honey, the only reason you get roasted over the coals is because you exude the very "holier than thou" attitude you claim to hate.

Misanthropes unite!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:01 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You would get along great with this guy:

Friends and relatives ridicule me for not having a SMARTPHONE!!

Honey, the only reason you get roasted over the coals is because you exude the very "holier than thou" attitude you claim to hate.

Misanthropes unite!
This is a valid point but I don't know how I could make these observations without appearing this way.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
There is no need to make them. Resist.

All your "observations" reveal is the depth of your contempt for others.

People have annoyed each other for centuries. Your rants are nothing new.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
This is yet another rant of mine directed primarily at gen y. I am sure I will be roasted over the coals for this one but oh well.

I have been an avid fan of live music for the past year or so. While I am not the biggest fan of bar hopping or clubbing, I have obviously been to a few over the past year or so.
Anyway, what really irks me about going out at night is the fact that I constantly witness people putting on fronts and conducting themselves as if they have a chip on their shoulders in general. For instance, the predominant focus of many people at concerts is to record said musician and send them to their herd on social media to proclaim what a superior time they are having than their less "cultured" counterparts. Crowds at electronic music events are the worst because they make a special effort to portray the most decadent appearance and want to make it very clear what a great time they are having engaged in the "PLUR" lifestyle; even though that ideology is largely fueled by MDMA and not necessarily a genuine desire to connect with others. I am in no way against the use of recreational drugs, it is just the trendiness behind some of it that is quite ridiculous. Generally I feel a pretentious and off putting vibe from concert goers and most of the time people circulate in clicks and are very reluctant to branch out (unless under the influence of MDMA of course).

It is no secret what the objective is for men in the bar/club scene, and although there's nothing particularly wrong with that it certainly gets repetitive. Unfortunately this leads to the alpha male dynamic in which the most boisterous men fight over the most attractive women at the bar, causing many women to put up uninviting fronts to avoid these advances. I personally could never get on board with this mentality so bars are pretty much out of the question for me to meet a potential love interest. Also, you can tell how pretentious an establishment is going to be by how many yelp/urbanspoon/foursquare stickers are on it. An abundance of these accolades almost unanimously translates to a holier than thou clientele. All in all, the nightlife scene has largely become an outlet for those looking to prove their worth rather than having a laid back, unpretentious night with friends. I have been looking in to Europe a bit more and am under the impression that the nightlife there is more genuine and less about labels like it is here. Good places can still be found in the US but it is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Anyway, it is difficult for young people like myself who don't care for the social climate at these places to meet people. My next course of action for the new year is to attend more meetups, outdoor trips, and volunteer exhibitions.
Dude, just move to small town America, throw your youth away on a frumpy wife and ungrateful kids and just call it a day already. No use being a single Gen Yer if you cannot be chill on a night out.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:

Anyway, what really irks me about going out at night is the fact that I constantly witness people putting on fronts and conducting themselves as if they have a chip on their shoulders in general. For instance, the predominant focus of many people at concerts is to record said musician and send them to their herd on social media to proclaim what a superior time they are having than their less "cultured" counterparts.
Baseless assumption number one.
Quote:
Crowds at electronic music events are the worst because they make a special effort to portray the most decadent appearance and want to make it very clear what a great time they are having engaged in the "PLUR" lifestyle; even though that ideology is largely fueled by MDMA and not necessarily a genuine desire to connect with others. I am in no way against the use of recreational drugs, it is just the trendiness behind some of it that is quite ridiculous. Generally I feel a pretentious and off putting vibe from concert goers and most of the time people circulate in clicks and are very reluctant to branch out (unless under the influence of MDMA of course).
You don't see the irony in this statement.

Quote:

That would be a good course of action. Nightspots are not for everyone.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:17 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,242 times
We're only unpleasant in your opinion. Perhaps you should stick with whatever scene you like, then you'll be happier.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:43 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:

Wow. Talk about preening self righteousness.

You're not attending a chamber quartet here. While the music is a central feature, it is not the only reason people are coming. You're listening to music at events that serve as a way for young and mostly single people to enjoy themselves. They are not there to discuss Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, or Heidegger. They are there to enjoy the music, have a fun time on a date, and to socialize.

What's more, the supreme irony of your post is that you lambaste others for being both holier-than-thou and pretentious, while you absolutely wallow in those qualities. I mean, the self-congratulation drips from every indignant syllable you write. My word. I guess the world really is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:06 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,866 times
You're in Seattle! I lived there, so I know that there are plenty of other things you can be doing to be social. Nightclubs are indeed for a certain kind of person, and that kind of person isn't you. Doesn't mean you need to insult people who aren't like you.

Besides, I've never heard of anyone going to a nightspot in order to make friends. Most people go there with friends to just let loose for a few hours and have a good time OR they go alone just to enjoy the venue.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:41 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Unfortunately this leads to the alpha male dynamic in which the most boisterous men fight over the most attractive women at the bar, causing many women to put up uninviting fronts to avoid these advances.
No to sound rude here as that's not my intention. No matter what part of the world you are in, as long as there is alcohol and people, you will have this. As long as there have been such places, people, esp the men will be like this. If you think Europe is better, think again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships