Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I read an article a while back by a woman who refuses to look at her two divorces as failures. She said that she had two successful marriages that just ran their course and ended.
This is how I look at my first marriage of 8 years, My second was 5 weeks and ended in death, wish that one would have lasted longer but I have no regrets from either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 02:25 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
I dont think this line of thinking is confined to the institution of marriage. Some people have a difficult time keeping an open mind and refuse to even consider anything outside of their own little world. These are small minded people that are best dealt with via the delivery of a good hard slap in the face.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
I know a few couples who are very close and do almost everything together. One of the couples got married which surprised me because I thought they were already married. Another couple is not married - or maybe they are. I just figure they're together. A third couple broke up and I thought they were going to get divorced but they can't because they're not married.

In other words, I don't get into other people's personal lives to know the details of their relationships. It's their business not mine. I consider practically any inquiries about it to be rude so I don't do inquire or comment.

[my ignorance is bliss ]

Old 12-20-2013, 03:46 PM

212 posts, read 335,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Obviously, I'm not okay with that sort of thinking because of its misguided sweeping generalizations.
Similar to adding the very real concept of mens rights in scare quotes.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:58 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
My last ex and I had an amicable divorce after only 6 years. Although she made roughly $80k a year, I paid ALL the bills. She got the dining room set, one of the living room sets, 2 TVs, both sets of washer and dryers, and nearly $100k in cash. I got piece of mind.

I have absolutely nothing against a long term committed relationship, I however will never marry again.
That's what I get for not proofreading 'Peace of mind'

Old 12-20-2013, 07:01 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
That's what I get for not proofreading 'Peace of mind'
Haha..maybe it was a Freudian slip-- which piece of your mind did she take?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:50 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I pretty much could use the original post in an unedited form as my own. I was married for 28 years and was, for the most part , happy. She wanted out, so we divorced about 15 years ago, and I have been single ever since.

I did have a live in GF for 7 years after the divorce, but it fell apart mainly because she wanted to get married and I didn't. So, for the past approximately 7 years I have been single and really don't ever see myself getting in another relationship. Life is too good and too easy this way........I do exactly what I want without having to consider another person, I spend money on whatever I want without someone being upset about it, and if I don't feel like doing anything I don't have someone nagging me to get up and go out.

If you feel better being married, go for it, but some of us have been there and now prefer being on our own.

Don

Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Here's my take. I'm single and never married but I have seen situations were people have become sick. The married person had someone by their side to help out. The single person was lucky and had a family member to help out. The thing is get sick and reality hits home. Myself I don't want to be married but like I said life can hit home.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:07 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
I've been happily divorced for the past 20 years and am very independent, and I would never get remarried, either. I've never gotten any negative feedback about it; some of my older female friends almost seem to envy the fact that I'm completely in control of my life and my finances, and can travel and spend my money however I wish without consulting anyone else. Most of my friends are actually male, and I have no axe to grind about men at all; it's more than I just enjoy living alone.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:17 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I get this!

I'm divorced and have been in a "friends with benefits" relationship since 2006. Works for him, works for me. Neither of us wants to remarry or live together.

I can't say I've ever noticed any societal pressure to get married, though. We're in our 50s. Old enough to know what we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships