Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times

Advertisements

I was supposed to meet a friend yesterday between 4:15 and 4:30 for an early dinner. (I hadn't had lunch.) I texted her at 3:30 and told her I'd be there closer to 4:15, she read my text. I got there at 4:10, texted her again with the exact location. She texted back at 4:23 that it took longer to scrape the ice off her car than expected. I thought I knew where she was leaving from, so assumed she'd be there in 10-15 minutes. She didn't show til 4:50, just as I was leaving. I was really pi$$ed by then, so I let her know and left. Would you have waited that long? Was I unreasonable?

Does it make a difference that she frequently does this? About a year ago, she called me an hour after she was supposed to meet me to let me know she was leaving the house. She lives an hour away from where we were meeting. I told her not to bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Oh the humanity of that.

Unfriend her on facebook immediately

Never ever text her again.

And then maybe make another better friend

And then become mature and stop texting and pick up the phone and talk.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
15 minutes - that's it - unless I hear from them prior to our arranged meeting time.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:44 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
15 minutes - that's it - unless I hear from them prior to our arranged meeting time.
Me, too. I would never leave a friend hanging. If I'm going to be more than 5 minutes late, I left them know, along with my ETA.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
yeah, sounds like you are being a little too petty, some people are just not punctual. you could have waited at the bar until she got there or order appetizers. you could have also called her and let her know that you were going to go ahead and order your dinner because you were really hungry. I would have told her lets do this another time and let it be at that. life is just too short to be getting upset over petty things like showing up 50 minutes late. And since she is your friend, I'm sure you were aware of her not being on time issues. It's not worth getting mad over or jumping all over her about it, it's not that serious. What if she had been in a car crash and never mad it at all, then what. Are you the dominate personality in this friendship and when you say jump, she ask how high? If so that's not good . we all have flaws you know. good luck

Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
yeah, sounds like you are being a little too petty, some people are just not punctual. you could have waited at the bar until she got there or order appetizers. you could have also called her and let her know that you were going to go ahead and order your dinner because you were really hungry. I would have told her lets do this another time and let it be at that. life is just too short to be getting upset over petty things like showing up 50 minutes late. And since she is your friend, I'm sure you were aware of her not being on time issues. It's not worth getting mad over or jumping all over her about it, it's not that serious. What if she had been in a car crash and never mad it at all, then what. Are you the dominate personality in this friendship and when you say jump, she ask how high? If so that's not good . we all have flaws you know. good luck
I disagree.

Once or twice, I may let it go. Other people's time aren't more valuable then mines. If someone is late, it is courtesy to communicate if they will be tardy. I would do the same in return. I personally believe in the 15 minute late rule

Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I was supposed to meet a friend yesterday between 4:15 and 4:30 for an early dinner. (I hadn't had lunch.) I texted her at 3:30 and told her I'd be there closer to 4:15, she read my text. I got there at 4:10, texted her again with the exact location. She texted back at 4:23 that it took longer to scrape the ice off her car than expected. I thought I knew where she was leaving from, so assumed she'd be there in 10-15 minutes. She didn't show til 4:50, just as I was leaving. I was really pi$$ed by then, so I let her know and left. Would you have waited that long? Was I unreasonable?

Does it make a difference that she frequently does this? About a year ago, she called me an hour after she was supposed to meet me to let me know she was leaving the house. She lives an hour away from where we were meeting. I told her not to bother.
Being mean by blowing your friend off when they arrived certainly wasn't being a "good friend" either.

If your friend were to post here, I bet the post would read

"I was running late to meet my friend due to bad weather. I texted my friend to let them know I was late due to weather. My friend sounded understanding in text. After putting the time into battling the weather, over what is a half hour drive in nice weather, I arrived to find her angry and yelling at me. Should I bother to keep this emotionally abusive friend?"

Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post

If you know she does this all the time, why not plan for it and not get there that early?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:07 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
If she always is late I would take that into account and tell her earlier.
I would also give her a dose of her own medicine

Old 12-30-2013, 11:17 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
If she always is late I would take that into account and tell her earlier.
I would also give her a dose of her own medicine
I like this. Don't leave until she texts that she's arrived. This kind of behavior irritates me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships