Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 10:47 AM

60 posts, read 175,143 times

Advertisements

I’ll try to make this as brief as possible. I’ve been friends with a gentleman for about 10 years now. We fell out of touch due to some personal issues on my behalf, and have been talking again for the past few months. He’s a former military man, very in shape and physically active, but was in a serious accident a couple years ago – broken back, shoulder injuries, fractured hip, torn ligaments in his legs. He was forced to quit the job he loved due to all these issues, and is in a seriously dysfunctional relationship. He’s been hospitalized multiple time due to complications from this accident, and has been told by his doctors that ne heeds to take it easy. I’ve urged him to rest as much as possible, but he still pushes himself too hard in an effort to avoid a fight for “being lazy,” as his other half calls it.

He’s really depressed. I text him a few times a week and we’ll talk on the phone now and then, but I get responses only about 25% of the time. He’s said a few times that some days he wished he hadn’t survived the accident, and I’m the only one of his friends that actually cares enough to keep in touch.

Part of me wants to say forget it and just leave him alone until he wants to contact me, but part of me thinks that if I do, he’ll feel totally abandoned. Would you keep contacting someone you rarely hear from in this situation, or would you just leave it be until they contact you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,645 times
I would send the occasional "hey, how are you?" message every now and then, just so that friend knows that there's at least one person out there thinking about them.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
There is a wonderful booklet written about this very topic - you can buy it for $5 - its called "But you LOOK Good" - I think it would give you a lot of insight into your friend and ways to support him.

This is the author's blog with an article about this issue - how to support people who are ill - But They Look So Good - Invisible Disabilities Association - IDA - you can order the booklet from her site.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:17 AM

sade, that's more or less what I do right now. Every couple of days I'll say "Hey, just thinking about you and hope you're feeling ok" type messages.

And Kitten, thank you so much! I'll certainly have to look into it. This is the first time I've really had to deal with something like this, so that is super helpful.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I agree with sade too....it's gotta be good for him knowing he has a friend like you..through the thick and thins of life.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:53 PM

11,115 posts, read 9,753,246 times
It sounds like your friend is suffering from depression. Can talk to him about maybe seeing his doctor to talk about his problems?

Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 AM

TheShadow - He's been seeing a therapist for it for the past month or so at my urging. He's just not really clicking with the therapist so he's looking for another one.

Thanks for the suggestions all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships