Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:28 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times

Advertisements

I don't think there is video. If there were, (hopefully) they would not have wrongfully accused someone. I think if someone were accusing me and I didn't do it I would wish to see the video of their proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 12:33 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,997,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
That's what is weird, this couple seemed very nice and reasonable and not at all "high maintenance" or difficult clients. I liked them. So this just blindsided me, and I know it blindsided the contractor. I know he's very upset as well.

I sure hope he believes me, I think he does. I am bidding another job, a whole house, for him on Monday or Tuesday. I've done, off the top of my head, maybe 30 or so jobs for him without a single problem over the last couple of years. I haven't kept myself, and scores of employees, busy since 1979 with no advertising and word of mouth/repeat business by stealing from clients!
Different topic, but the same with the two evictions I recently did.

Everything is fine, good, great for months. Then click. They start threatening, posturing, dictating, etc.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,125,145 times
The more I think about this, the more bizarre it becomes.
There cannot possibly be any "proof" because I didn't steal any stupid plates or towels. I did not even touch any plates or towels in that house.
So how can they possibly blame me? It's simply not possible.
This is entering some sort of alternate universe.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:59 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,158,249 times
When is the contractor going to sit down with them and look at the tape? Ask him to do it ASAP - so you don't go into the holidays with this out there.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:23 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,602,681 times
Their story (at least, as related to you by the general contractor) does not make any sense at all. It's basically two separate stories - one, they know it was you because you're a girl and only a girl would steal girlie things (snort), and two, they know it was you because they have you on videotape. Two completely different statements. It makes no sense. If they had you on tape, they wouldn't need to advance a stupid argument like "she's a chick, and only a chick would steal towels and dishes." Therefore, there obviously is no tape.

They're overplaying their hand, and that should work to your advantage. If they tell the GC that they have you on tape, and then they go into that meeting and cannot produce that tape, they've just admitted that they were lying. If the general has any doubts at all, that should go a long way toward eliminating them, and should in fact be enough to clear you in his eyes right then and there. You've worked with this contractor for years, and have obviously established a healthy and mutually respectful professional relationship. He wants to believe you. He has every reason to believe you, and if they have to admit to him that they were bluffing about the tape, he's no longer going to have much reason to believe them.

I agree with Cheryjohns. I would urge the general to get that meeting done ASAP. If they stall for any reason at all, that should support your position even more. If the truly think they were robbed, and indeed have video of the person who did it, why would they not want to get it resolved as soon as possible? What possible reason would they have for delaying, unless they were bluffing? if I thought someone had burgled me, and I had them on tape, I'd be running red lights all the way to the police station. There's no way in hell I'd procrastinate on it, and I don't think anyone else would either if they truly had the evidence they say they have.

Good luck with this. I hope it's straightened out soon, and that it doesn't put any kind of a damper on your Christmas.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:41 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,602,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Exactly. If they have a camera it should have been checked and dealt with from there. If you were wrongly accused and they had proof of who actually did it I would consider suing. Just as a matter of principle.
I second this. I would already be in touch with an attorney, in fact. Depending on exactly what they said to the general contractor, and how they phrased it, their assertion may constitute slander. You could be in a position to sue for both compensatory and punitive damages if their accusation impacted your livelihood. You don't seem like a vengeful or vindictive person, but you might want to give the idea some consideration.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,125,145 times
Contractor wanted to meet with them this week but they said they were busy with holiday stuff and visiting family, so it will be Monday or Tuesday.

Also, I agree this makes no sense, the more I think about it! I agree with those of you who said it was a bluff. It has to be, of course.

Huh. Hadn't considered talking to an attorney. They're not talking about filing charges as far as I know (and how could they, there is NO FREAKING PROOF); so far it's between the GC, me, and them. I'll see what happens when he meets with them.

I don't know whether I'm more hurt than angry, or the other way around. Some of both for sure. Along with a hefty dash of confusion.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:18 AM

10,039 posts, read 17,995,009 times
Quote:
Contractor wanted to meet with them this week but they said they were busy with holiday stuff and visiting family, so it will be Monday or Tuesday.
They take the time to make false accusations, and leave the person (you!!) hanging, but they don't have time to meet?

Quote:
Also, I agree this makes no sense, the more I think about it! I agree with those of you who said it was a bluff. It has to be, of course.

Huh. Hadn't considered talking to an attorney. They're not talking about filing charges as far as I know (and how could they, there is NO FREAKING PROOF); so far it's between the GC, me, and them. I'll see what happens when he meets with them.
But why should you have to pay for an attorney too?!! It might be good advice but I would be so angry over THAT unexpected expense as well.

Quote:
I don't know whether I'm more hurt than angry, or the other way around. Some of both for sure. Along with a hefty dash of confusion.
Honestly, I can't imagine too many things worse than being accused of something you didn't do. I really feel for you and hope this is resolved SOON.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:16 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,565,090 times
These "clients" are trying to stiff the contractor into giving them a big discount or a free job. If they have evidence, they don't call the contractor, they call the cops. Hopefully, the contractor will stand his ground but I wouldn't bet on it. Word of mouth is advertising for good or bad.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
My feeling is that they have misplaced the items, which would not be interesting to any normal thief. Electronics or jewelry, you have to assume might be targets of thieves. But place settings of dinnerware? Hardly.

They might be bluffing about the video, since they are accusing you because of who you are. Odd isn't it that they accuse you because you are female, but then mention video. If they indeed had video that would be the first thing out of their mouths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships