U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 05:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,298,480 times

Advertisements

This is just a vent, I guess. I am a painting contractor. Clients routinely give me keys, garage and security codes so we can work in their homes. They trust me with their homes and property and I do my best at all times to honor their trust.

A general contractor I've worked for for about two years told me today that clients on a job I worked on for him accused me of stealing four dinner sets and some towels. According to him, their rationale was because what was taken was "women things" so it must have been me. (I am the only female subcontractor he has. About a dozen people had access to the home over the course of the job.)

I hope he is telling the truth when he told me he believed me! I feel absolutely sick over this. And very hurt. He is meeting with them early next week and they said they had hidden cameras and proof of who took their stuff. I hope they do! Because that would completely exonerate me. And clearly if one of his guys is stealing - I know them all and can't imagine who - he needs to know.

Accusing someone of stealing without incontrovertible proof is a very serious charge. If the only rationale these people had (and they seemed very nice and reasonable people) was that "women things" were stolen then that is BS because I assure you there is no possible proof I took anything, because I didn't and wouldn't.

tl;dr version: Be careful when accusing someone of something. It really hurts to be wrongly accused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,775,903 times
That's awful! I'm so sorry. But if they do have "proof" and it's clearly not you, why are they still accusing you?

Old 12-19-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
That's awful! I'm so sorry. But if they do have "proof" and it's clearly not you, why are they still accusing you?
I have no clue! Unless there's some breakdown in communication somewhere. English is not the GC's first language - his English is stellar but sometimes he misses nuance.

They are meeting with the general contractor early next week and mentioned they have video evidence (One thing I have learned is many people have hidden cameras.) So I REALLY hope they do. Because I guarantee nothing on any hidden video would show me touching anything that does not pertain to my job, no way and no how.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:40 PM

13,135 posts, read 20,699,235 times
That's horrible Chiroptera, and difficult to move on from. I'm sorry it has happened to you.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:45 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,406,282 times
We set up security cameras at a former job when we had lots of pilfering issues and the culprits were never, NEVER who we thought they were. Never who they appeared to be.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:56 PM

Most of my clients are wealthy and I know that quite a few have hidden security cameras. I always assume it's a given.

Not that it matters to me - I'm on the property to do my job! Not snoop around or anything else. I just hope that when this shakes down, I'm exonerated. I don't want this on the contractor's reputation and I certainly don't want this on my name either.

elhelmete, feel free to expand on your post, please!

Old 12-20-2013, 05:07 AM

4,827 posts, read 7,244,871 times
Once you are exonerated, I hope you get an apology!

I just don't get why they would accuse anyone without looking at the video first?+

Old 12-20-2013, 06:24 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,119,924 times
Poor you! That would be sickening being accused of theft when you didn't touch a thing. I just hope the home owners weren't calling your bluff when they said they had video footage of the heist, just trying to get a confession. I certainly hope you get a decent apology when they find out who did it (if they do... you can only hope)

And there is no gender difference for theft. Around here where I live, men get caught stealing many women's articles in stores, either for gifts for the "little woman" in their lives, or to trade in for drug money.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:23 AM

I hope that in the upheaval of the remodel they find that these items were just misplaced. I do NOT want there to be any lingering doubts on anyone's mind. This is the first time in almost 35 years I've been accused to stealing from a client's home or business. I can spend weeks in someone's home and never go into a room I'm not there to work in; doesn't even occur to me.

I don't even know where these supposed dishes were, since the cabinets were newly installed and I don't think they'd been restocked yet. Where we were all working was pretty much an empty construction zone - wall knocked out to make the kitchen bigger, new cabinets, island, appliances, granite, tile floors. New wood floors in living and dining room, new trim and doors, fireplace surround. Adjacent bathroom completely redone with new shower, tile, granite. A key was stashed by the back door which led right into the living room. No reason to go anywhere else in the house, except I used the laundry room tub down the hall to clean tools.

And you're right, just because it was "home decor" or some such silly thing should NOT automatically point the finger at me!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Status: "Did I just roll my eyes out loud?" (set 4 days ago)

7,317 posts, read 4,408,566 times
I currently work in a field where we use video for both security andsurveilance. I'll tell two stories and try to be brief, but with a common theme.

A co-worker left her post. I saw she was gone and stood at her post and realized she did three things she should not have done, besides leaving her post. She left the clients keys, the company cell phone and a badge that allows access to every single door in the building. I said something to her about it and she blew it off like it was no big deal. So I went up the chain and told our boss. He asked her about it and she lied, saying she had all three items and that video would prove it.

Back up a bit. It was the worst kept secret that the building had video cameras that simply did not work. They were for show. But a new part of the building had new video cameras that she did not know about. The boss asked her again and she said she was wearing the badge around her neck and video would show it. So he went to the new video she did not know about and she clearly wasnot wearing a badge. (Badge was white, her uniform was black; it would have shown up.) She was releived of her duties, not for leaving the three items, but for the lying. Otherwise, she probably would have been written up, maybe removed from the site, but would have kept her job.

My company has a site where they can pull over speeders, etc. on the property. One of my co-workers pulled someone over and she made a complaint that he went way over the line, was badgering her and harrassing her. Her husband, who was not witness to the harrassment, said that the dashboard cam would prove it. Only thing is that during the time the lady said the harrassment was happening, his car was parked in front of her car. No video, obviously, but also no audio due to the way the car was facing.

But what they didn't know is that we are equipped with video cameras on our person. It looks like a button on our shirt. Video proved there was no badgering, no harrassment, nothing of the sort. When the boss met with the lady and husband and showed them the video, the husbandthanked him and led his wife out of the office.

My point? There might not be video at all and they are trying to call you out because they just made the assumption for whatever reason that you were the thief. I hope it works out for you and, yeah, you'll be owed an apology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships