Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:09 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times

Advertisements

We are having 2 Christmases this year. Today we had my husband's family, and Wednesday we are having mine. Today didn't go as well as I had hoped. My father in law was not feeling well and a big grump. We had friends come over as well (a couple) because they couldn't come out last week for my birthday. The second the friends come in the door, I hug both of them hello, and the wife tells me she doesn't feel well & needs to lie down. So of course I offer up our bed, and she literally bolts up the stairs & into the bathroom, throwing up. She has been laying in our bed ever since (she threw up at least one more time since then). My husband just left with her husband to go help him buy his sister a Christmas gift. So here I sit, typing this, while this woman is sick in my bed. Normally I would just think "poor thing, I'll just wash the bedding when they leave," but quite honestly I am going NUTS. I don't get sick often but this year was awful for me. A week before my wedding in September I was sick with a throat infection. Two weeks after our honeymoon I got hit with the flu, and couldn't get out of bed for almost 2 weeks. It took me a while to feel completely healthy. If I get some kind of stomach bug now, I will freaking LOOSE my SH**. I can't take being sick again. Honestly I can't believe they didn't leave as soon as she got sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 08:30 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Just relax.

There is throwing up and there is THROWING UP. Hopefully, your friend is just throwing up because of a migraine headache, or was car sick or because she wolfed down a Big Mac really fast in the car on the way to your house (ie. not something that you can "catch"). If she was really sick with the flu or something contagious then she should have left right away.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-21-2013 at 08:39 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 08:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
you poor thing!!

I am so sorry this happened to you.

Just try to remember, it happened to your guest too - and I'm sure she'd much rather be doing anything else right now

Old 12-21-2013, 09:15 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Oh god, I would FREAK if I were you! It's totally inconsiderate of them! They should've turned around and headed home as soon as she felt ill.
I'm phobic when it comes to illness, especially stomach stuff, and there's nothing worse than being sick for the holidays! I've had the stomach flu once and it traumatized me, it was completely horrible - aside from gastro symptoms, I couldn't stand without blacking out and couldn't sleep because my body felt like someone was breaking my bones. Personally I'd be pissed and probably make a comment that I have a phobia of stomach illness, that would hopefully get the hint across.

I hope you get them out of the house as soon as possible.
Then, take extra precautions to not catch it. Remember, it's not airborne, so as long as you're super careful with cleaning you should be okay. If you have another bathroom, use it and stay out of the one they used for a couple of days. If not, at least put on a mask and gloves and disinfect everything thoroughly with a bleach solution. Replace your toothbrush and towels, strip all linens and wash everything on a hot cycle. Wipe everything around the bed with a bleach solution as well, don't forget the bathroom floor. Make sure to also wipe down any other surfaces she may have touched like door handles, light switches, etc. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Just relax.

There is throwing up and there is THROWING UP. Hopefully, your friend is just throwing up because of a migraine headache, or was car sick or because she wolfed down a Big Mac really fast in the car on the way to your house (ie. not something that you can "catch"). If she was really sick with the flu or something contagious then she should have left right away.

Good luck to you.
If she's in bed and threw up more than once, it's not likely to be a migraine or carsickness, I would be treating it as stomach flu. Could be food poisoning too of course, but some forms of it can also be passed from person to person, so it's best to treat it as contagious.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:28 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
They just left, I sprayed everything with Lysol & the bedding is in the washing machine. I hugged her hello when they walked in so if it's contagious there's probably no avoiding it

Old 12-21-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
They just left, I sprayed everything with Lysol & the bedding is in the washing machine. I hugged her hello when they walked in so if it's contagious there's probably no avoiding it
Only the vomit/fecal particles are contagious so you shouldn't get it from just hugging.
FYI Lysol spray I think does kill noro particles but Lysol cleaner doesn't; bleach kills it for sure, so use a bleach solution if you want to be certain.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:27 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Unfortunately getting sick will be a part of all of our lives until the day we die. I have a different perspective being in health care about what sick truly is and what are minor annoyances. What you're describing is a minor annoyance. Nothing worth freaking out over.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Unfortunately getting sick will be a part of all of our lives until the day we die. I have a different perspective being in health care about what sick truly is and what are minor annoyances. What you're describing is a minor annoyance. Nothing worth freaking out over.
Same here. Many people working in a hospital taking care of patients or handling specimens never catch anything. Holidays are stressful though -- all the get-togethers, people coming and going. It can be hard to not let things get to you sometimes.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:27 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
It's just the height of rudeness to go to someone's house ill, vomit in their toilet, then crash in their bed (making extra work for their host, not to mention sharing their germs). Why couldn't they just STAY HOME and be sick there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships