U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:12 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,808,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Are you aware of the fact there is a huge prescription drug abuse epidemic in the U.S.? Caused by doctors who wantonly prescribe addictive drugs in large doses to people who really don't NEED that many drugs.

I am aware of an alcoholic who had wisdom teeth extracted recently. The person was advised not to take drugs (also had four teeth pulled). They took one Tylenol and called it a day.

Prescribing hard-core drugs to teenagers is never a good idea. There are addiction concerns as well as sharing with friends concerns. I would strictly monitor any teenager that had been given such drugs - but I take drug addiction and the current lax medical prescription over-prescribing phenomenon very seriously.
Are you aware of the fact that the relief offered by drugs far outweigh the probability of becoming addicted for most people? No one said the parents weren't monitoring the medications, no one said the doctor "wantonly" prescribed the drugs, or that the doctor prescribed "large" doses. And just because one person can walk away from wisdom teeth extraction with Tylenol (aren't you concerned about kidney damage?) doesn't mean everyone can. The OP said Bob really had oral surgery, not just an extraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 10:51 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,455,555 times
I think he should be able to stay home. Having all four wisdom teeth out at once is no picnic, and he will feel better at home.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:55 AM

17,631 posts, read 11,074,066 times
Oooops, I must have missed the part about them taking him away from home, I thought it was at his own home. So sorry. In that case, yes, he should be able to relax and heal in the comfort of his own home.

I thought he was just complaining about them all eating steak and that being insensitive to him. I must have glossed over that part.

Don

Old 12-25-2013, 10:59 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,932,506 times
Sounds like a selfish kid. "Jealous" over other people eating good food when he can't? A nice kid would be happy to see other people happy. Sounds like enabling parents too.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:04 AM

4,050 posts, read 9,064,894 times
Life happens, and not everday (including Christmas) goes the way you want it too. Get used to it.

"Bob" could have the meal preparer put his meal in a blender with some water and he could eat it, same with desert (I had a friend do this at Easter). And he could do so sitting/lying on the couch as he's under the weather...or they could bring it home to him and he could stay in bed at home.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:08 AM

14,243 posts, read 7,854,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think so too. I had 4 wisdom teeth removed at once and the most I took was a couple of tylenol. My son just had his 4 removed and didn't use any pain killer after and went to work the next day. I think Bob is being a bit too wimpy.

No he's not being wimpy. Everyone is different and his oral surgeon could have been a butcher. Mine was when I had all 4 removed. It was horrible. Why even have this procedure done right before the holidays? I don't think Grandma was being insensitive by preparing his favorite meal. She has other guests and that might be their favorite meal as well. Should everyone have to suffer because of an ill timed procedure that could have waited? I don't think so but I think forcing someone to go somewhere that he doesn't want to be is selfish.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:32 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,809,271 times
Grandma won't be around forever.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:33 AM

24,839 posts, read 29,973,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
It's really sad when families don't consider little things like this. They can really ruin holidays.
Things like what? The person who scheduled the procedure for right before Christmas? The family that went ahead with dinner (which I think is fine)?

Old 12-25-2013, 11:51 AM

4,492 posts, read 3,874,578 times
I suspect the procedure was scheduled over holiday break so as he won't have to miss any school. That's not selfish - that's just practical.

I had mine taken out just after xmas while I was in college. The meds make you feel really out of it/sleepy/loopy. You cannot eat solid foods and must clean out your holes after you do eat (and that's pretty yucky). Your mouth hurts, your head aches and you really don't want to move around the first couple of days.

He should stay home, rest, medicate when needed and eat what he can in the comfort of his own home.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:48 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,967,595 times
Why schedule that sort of surgery during the holidays anyways? I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled too- I know it sucks! But when they dentist wanted to do it the Friday before the weekend of my birthday party, I rescheduled!

That being said, he doesn't have to go, and if the family makes a fuss it's their problem. Have some sympathy- IMO wisdom teeth is pretty tough surgery to recover from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships