U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 05:37 PM

6,054 posts, read 9,481,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKels View Post
... My mother and I are both introverted except she makes eye contact and speaks - I never make eye contact nor speak unless someone speaks to me first. (I'm not rude, but I got tired of speaking to people who didn't speak back, so now I only speak when spoken to.)
... Anyone been through anything similar or have any idea?
Yep. It's very likely they've never met anyone who is very introverted, and don't know how to interact with you or your mother. I'm uber-introverted, and I run into 'weird' reactions from neighbors all the time. I don't take it personally. I'm sure I seem just as 'weird' to them as they seem to me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:22 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
Quote:
It doesn't bother me, because I'm introverted, I've never spoken to any of these people, etc. but my mother is bothered and wondering why they are now giving her the cold shoulder. My mother and I are both introverted except she makes eye contact and speaks - I never make eye contact nor speak unless someone speaks to me first. (I'm not rude, but I got tired of speaking to people who didn't speak back, so now I only speak when spoken to.)
Quote:
No one was brushed off repeatedly. The guy with the dog was the only one my mother said no thanks to, because he offered to let his 5 yr old son take our trash. (In this type of neighborhood, it's usually a tactic to get money. Volunteer the kids, then the person will give money for your unneeded help.)

Maybe not to you, but to me it's something very fishy about someone not offering to help with heavy items when they see you making over 50 trips, but later pretending to be helpful when it comes to something light weight. Usually, this is a tactic to get inside your house to see what you have that someone might want to take later. (You most likely live in a nice neighborhood, so wouldn't understand.)

My mother was friendly to them. She smiled and said hi to them.
I'm sure it's hard for you to understand that it sounds like you and your mother don't come across as friendly. You're admittedly mistrustful. I assure you they can tell how you feel. You don't make eye contact. You don't speak unless spoken to. Even though your mother makes eye contact and speaks, she probably comes off as standoffish. You did brush them off. They got the message loud and clear.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:33 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,777,201 times
Leave them alone and consider yourself lucky they are giving you the silent treatment.

Imagine if they were constantly butting into your life where you had no privacy? I've experienced it and it is not fun having everything you do monitored or questioned by a neighbor who watches you all the time.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:54 PM

9,721 posts, read 18,362,907 times
Its often best to just keep to yourself. I don't talk to my new neighbor of 2 months (she and her family are quite rude) .She just got a dog & she walks her dog to my yard & lets her dog do his business (I witnessed it last night). I posted 2 no trespassing signs & I hope she gets the message. I live in a mhp & if it happens again I will notify management cause the lady does not pick up her dogs poop & that's against park rules.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 858 times
I've been wrongly accused by my neighbors based on hurtful stories and rumors created by their own children. I no longer speak to anyone in my immediate neighborhood. i routinely get scowled at and mocked for my appearance.

The Man Without a Face, the Fool on the Hill, the
Hunchback of Notre Dame, Goodbye Cruel World, Its a Wonderful Life? Anything else?

Don't say I need help. That's just the way it is. Look within yourselves..yourself!

Hope this helps.

oh yeah -> :-)

Old 09-26-2016, 12:11 PM

14,997 posts, read 21,643,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleepedout View Post
I've been wrongly accused by my neighbors based on hurtful stories and rumors created by their own children. I no longer speak to anyone in my immediate neighborhood. i routinely get scowled at and mocked for my appearance.

The Man Without a Face, the Fool on the Hill, the
Hunchback of Notre Dame, Goodbye Cruel World, Its a Wonderful Life? Anything else?

Don't say I need help. That's just the way it is. Look within yourselves..yourself!

Hope this helps.

oh yeah -> :-)

Old 09-26-2016, 12:28 PM

4,773 posts, read 6,565,677 times
They may have wanted to take out your trash for you so they could take into their apartment and go through it and search for credit card statements, etc.

If the neighborhood is the kind you say it is it's probably best to be a bit standoffish with the neighbors. Smile and say hello even if they never do (don't want to tick anyone off), but never invite them inside or get otherwise involved with them.

I'm sorry you and your mother have fallen on hard times and are having to move to a place like that. I would go absolutely bonkers in that living situation. Bonkers, I tell you.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:51 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,067,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
They may have wanted to take out your trash for you so they could take into their apartment and go through it and search for credit card statements, etc.

If the neighborhood is the kind you say it is it's probably best to be a bit standoffish with the neighbors. Smile and say hello even if they never do (don't want to tick anyone off), but never invite them inside or get otherwise involved with them.

I'm sorry you and your mother have fallen on hard times and are having to move to a place like that. I would go absolutely bonkers in that living situation. Bonkers, I tell you.
As I heard in a movie one time..."If I owned this place and Hell, I'd rent it out and live in Hell."

The way you describe the neighborhood sounds like something out of Shawshank. (Okay, I'm done with movie references).

It sounds like you have a difficult time keeping your emotions in check. It really is easy to spot people when they are being less than sincere. Even in some of the worst neighborhoods, there are good people to be found. From what you have indicated no one you have met has been anyone other than a prospective criminal. I'm sure people are picking up EXACTLY what you think of them.

All it takes is a few minutes to establish at least a coexistence with your neighbor. When the dog came running out, you said you told it to "go away". Did you do so quietly (not likely) or did you scream at the dog? If it's the latter, be aware that pet owners tend to consider their pets to be family members, so you just yelled at a family member.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:07 AM

997 posts, read 573,294 times
The box guy is creepy..He was looking through your stuff.

That is how it seems, and then he didn't help once he checked it out. They may not think you are very friendly but who cares. Honestly I don't talk to my neighbors that much as a rule. It depends on the neighbor but I can go for years without saying a word unless they say something.

Sometimes it is better that way so that you stay out of each others business. No talkee, no fightee. You don't want trouble and you may want nothing to do with these people but you don't want to be at war with them either.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:42 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,253,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Yup. Bumped a three year old post to say that. Where do we GET these people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships