U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:57 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,680,227 times

Advertisements

This could be in romantic relationships too.

What is the most cherished things you own someone else gave you?

For me it's a painting done by my nephew. He loved to come over and paint and one day I moved all the furniture out of the living room (I have hardwood floors) and took a paper roll and rolled it out several times until the entire living room was covered. I took the tubes of paint and put them on different plates and then got my utensil drawer out and told him he could use his hands or anything in that drawer - but not a paint brush.

We had so much fun and made one helluva mess. I think I'm still finding paint to clean up years later.

After he left I walked around the painted paper and found sections I really liked and cut them and mounted them on huge canvasses. He signed the one I kept with his painted hand print.

Unfortunately, he did last year at the age of 20 and when my brother called me to tell me I hung up the phone and just stared into space in disbelief - it was too surreal it couldn't be true and then I realized I was staring at that painting he did with his little hand print on it.

I have jewelry and many nice and expensive things - but that is the most important thing I own and aside from the dogs it's what I'd take out of the house if there was a fire. No photographs compare to the value of that painting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 02:19 AM

89 posts, read 136,775 times
Wow...this is a great thread idea (I am sorry to hear about your nephew). I have traveled extensively over the past five years, and have accumulated quite a collection of things. Not everything has sentimental value, but a few things do stand out.

1. One of my friends gave me a trucker's hat that his long-dead grandfather gave to him. His grandfather owned a towing/repair shop in Washington State, and had a handful of hats made for his close family/friends. My friend had only a handful of the hats, and gave one to me and told me to never, ever lose it, since it was one of the few things his grandfather gave to him. It's amazing how he trusted me, and I will do anything to make sure that hat stays in my hands.

2. A very fashionable fedora that I have worn for the past six months . One of my best friends (and former lover) got it for me while we were staying in Jackson, Wyoming. It was my first time ever in Wyoming, and it was such a great and memorable day. I have worn that hat every single day since then (April of '12), and I will keep it forever and hand it down to my nephews/nieces.

3. A paperback copy of A Confederacy of Dunces. My ex-girlfriend wrote a love note inside of it, and it's another gift that means a lot to me. It is one of my favorite novels of all time, and the nostalgia of the Summer of 2012 at Mount Rainier National Park comes out whenever I look at it.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:49 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,041,515 times
A toy horse sqeeze toy my father gave me when i was about 3. He had just come home from the hospital after a months long stay after heart surgery back in 1958....when heart surgery was beyond major.

He died when i was 11 but somehow that toy stayed around....after 55 years it now is displayed in my home office. Quite old, faded and dried out...sorta like me!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,564,677 times
A cameo brooch necklace owned by my grandma. She gave it to my sister who passed it on
To me for taking sisters family in at a bad time. Lived with me infant included for a year in
A 900 square foot home. Wouldn't change anything even though it was tough with 6 in the home

Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 AM

10,233 posts, read 9,322,547 times
Divorce papers! Ok, I realize that's very sarcastic and not what was intended in this thread. And I actually gave the papers to my 'then' husband. However, I do treasure being out of an abusive situation.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:15 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,680,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Divorce papers! Ok, I realize that's very sarcastic and not what was intended in this thread. And I actually gave the papers to my 'then' husband. However, I do treasure being out of an abusive situation.
LOL - There's no rules here!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 AM

537 posts, read 989,852 times
Preserved roses in a glass case from my parents. They had it in their bedroom and at the age of 5 or 6, I decided I wanted it. I moved out at eighteen and left it in my bedroom. When I moved back in with them at 21, the roses were still there. When I moved back out a year later, I took them with me. It's interesting, because I now live in the city of roses.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:57 AM

4,496 posts, read 3,877,510 times
I have a ring that belonged to my mother and grandmother. One day it will go to my daughter.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:29 AM

13,781 posts, read 18,690,385 times
My dads long black coat and it is very warm and he died of cancer in the christmas of '2012 . I also have his fountain pen that he used to write his checks out with yes it is the old fashioned kind you have to refill with ink . 2. my grandmas poinsettia lapel pin and it is a gaudy looking thing but I still keep it cause she loved it . 3. a straw hat that an ex bf (whom I considered marrying at one time except his mother gave me a check to stay away from him , yeah that family was a real piece of work )gave to me and I still wear but my husband now never knew where it came from nor will he ever cause he might make me stop wearing it LOL ...

Last edited by phonelady61; 01-01-2014 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-01-2014, 05:50 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,003,868 times
I have the tobacco tin my dad had that he used to put his loose change in. The change in it now is the change that was there when he passed - the exact amount and the coins HE put on there.

Each year at Christmas I open - then close - a box that holds a detailed ornament from Washington, DC. It was the first Christmas gift from my SO.

My mom's cookbook is also important to me. Mom is in her late 80s and she received the cookbook from her neighbor as a Sweet 16 birthday gift. You can tell the good recipes, because the pages are well-used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships