Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
What's the deal with the pets and baked goods?? I don't understand the connection.
There are some people who don't realize that you can actually eat a random cat or dog hair without dying. Those of us who have chosen to invite furry, four-legged friends to be our companions for more than a certain length of time may be accustomed to the occasional appearance of a hair and remove it without much ado, some of us may even find it unusual if there *isn't* a hair somewhere...but those callous, cold-hearted buzzards who can't see furry little friends as family members tend to view it with some disdain.

Personally, I'd rather see a cat hair baked into a cookie than find out that the 'chocolate sprinkles' on it are really mouse turds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 12:45 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
There are some people who don't realize that you can actually eat a random cat or dog hair without dying. Those of us who have chosen to invite furry, four-legged friends to be our companions for more than a certain length of time may be accustomed to the occasional appearance of a hair and remove it without much ado, some of us may even find it unusual if there *isn't* a hair somewhere...but those callous, cold-hearted buzzards who can't see furry little friends as family members tend to view it with some disdain.

Personally, I'd rather see a cat hair baked into a cookie than find out that the 'chocolate sprinkles' on it are really mouse turds.
People need to do a little reading, the FDA actually allows for a percentage of rat hair and other disgusting things in food products.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,834 times
Quote:
People need to do a little reading, the FDA actually allows for a percentage of rat hair and other disgusting things in food products.
Totally agree. Also try working in a restaurant kitchen, even a high-end one

Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Thursday007, I love the 'nice and naughty" boxes. Going to do that next year.
The key is to have all identical sized boxes. You can scour the dollar stores for them and the 'naughty' gifts.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:45 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
My list is very short:

1. Don't expect ANYTHING at all then you won't be disappointed.
3. Go with the flow.
4. Grin and bear it. Thankfully it's only once a year.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:48 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
The key is to have all identical sized boxes. You can scour the dollar stores for them and the 'naughty' gifts.
I can't wait. This is going to be so much fun.

Thank you.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
LOL, I think some people would be mortified if they knew just what sorts of things were 'acceptable' in what quantities in many of the foods they regularly eat.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:11 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
After seeing threads about Christmas and the things people are complaining about I think it is time to list what people think proper behavior is.

1.) Do not insist that people stay at your house. No normal person wants to share a bathroom with in laws or sleep on something other than a bed.
We have family and friends stay at our house not just at Christmas but other family get togethers.
No problem. We don't insist. They know they have a place to stay.

2.) If you do the Bad Santa exchange, and no one ever takes your gift from another person, rethink your gift buying. See what gifts are taken from others and buy something similar. My gifts are always taken the maximum amount of times because I buy liquor or wine. I don't drink but I realize that most people do or at least have it at home to offer guests.
I live in a rural area and I will buy some type of tool or warm work gloves. They get "passed around" quite a bit

3.) Do not give crafts or any kind of homemade item. They may act gracious but you can bet you will never see the item displayed in their home. People like to decorate in their style, not yours. So forget the picture frames and assorted knickknacks.
Some of this I can agree with. My ex BIL gave his girlfriend's mother a HUGE felt picture of Elvis, framed. Then got mad when they didn't put it on the wall. There are some crafts that are appreciated in some homes. But we did appreciate the gift from a family member of a wheel of smoked cheddar cheese and some jars of home made tomato sauce and marinara sauce!

4.) The same goes for clothes. Do you want others to pick out what you will wear? I don't mind getting clothes. Just keep the receipt where they can exchange it if they want to

5.) Do not try to force food on people. I will never eat something to be polite. If a person doesn't take any of your casserole, do not mention it.
I don't. Never have, never will. That one is just common sense.

6.) If you are part of a group gift exchange and do not know what "gender neutral" or something similar means look it up. This is one I'll agree with you

7.) If you have pets, do not give baked goods for a gift. Maybe to family but never to anyone else. I have heard more comments about this than anything else. I have been at work parties and have had things pointed out to me so I wouldn't put any on my plate.
We have a small dog in our house but she hasn't offered to help us bake Christmas goodies yet. We don't have dog hair all over the place ESPECIALLY in our food!!!!! We do keep our house clean!

8.) A donation made in your name is not a gift. It is a memorial contribution. Wait until they die before you do that. My dad is in his 90s. He and a lot of his older friends do these donations as gifts every Christmas. As he says what do you get someone who has everything?

9.) Forget the mugs and hats that say grandma. You will have to throw away all that stuff when they die. The same with gifts to a teacher. Every teacher I know would rather have a gift card.
"You will have to throw away all that stuff when they die". So? If you're in that big of a hurry for them to kick the bucket, you'll also have to throw away all their clothes, furniture, etc.
I am sure others have their complaints.
I can tell you're a real party animal! I am sooooo glad I'm not related to you.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Wow. Here I thought I was being helpful by inviting everyone to stay at the house. Would you suggest I check with the local Hampton Inn to see if we can get a group rate?
You're safe ... inviting and insisting are two different things. Very different!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Dude. I'm neither Republican nor Democratic, neither Liberal nor Conservative.

But please stop with the moral vanity. I've found that knee-jerk obsessiveness isn't even close to being exclusive to any political camp.
Good to know.

As to the "moral vanity," and "knee-jerk obsessiveness" not being exclusive to either camp, I agree with you there.

Nor was I making any comment about your political leanings. Believe what you will.

I was responding to a comment about being concerned folks would be offended if you stayed at the Hampton Inn. IMO, might as well go ahead and make those reservations. No need to get your knickers in a knot about whether your relatives will be offended. If they're watching Fox News, likely they're offended by all sorts of things. Your staying at the Hampton Inn will be just be one of the many things they don't approve of. Might as well be comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships