U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM

433 posts, read 1,128,942 times

Advertisements

Do you guys think it would be possible, or even appropriate, for an older married guy (say in his 30s, 40s, etc.) help a younger single guy in his 20s to get a girl, whether it's a potential long-term relationship, fling, one-night stand etc.? Should the younger single guy just get that kind of help from guys closer to his age?

I'm in my early 20s and find that I hang out with mostly older guys in their 30s, 40s and who are married. We have some common interests but I never brought up the topic of getting a girl because I don't think it'd be appropriate for them to help me "score"...or whatever words you wanna use, because they're married.

What about the opposite sex? Can an older married woman help a younger single woman get a guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 AM

16,797 posts, read 14,552,606 times
How exactly are they, or anyone, going to help?

Old 01-02-2014, 12:48 PM

433 posts, read 1,128,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How exactly are they, or anyone, going to help?
I'm not sure...but you know how single or young guys go out to clubs or bars and pick up girls or help each other to do that? I'm talking something similar to that but with a married person doing some of the help. Sorry if this is confusing. Did I make myself more clear?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:38 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,536,635 times
I think that if you are looking for a LTR or potential marriage, and seem like a nice person, usually friends will try to help out by introducing you to girls they know that could potentially be a good match. However, they're only going to do that if they think you have good intentions towards the girl and that it could turn out positively. Obviously if they recommend you to their coworker's daughter, and then you have a ONS, that doesn't reflect well on them and if the girl is miffed, it could potentially turn out to be an uncomfortable situation for them. Most people who chose to get married themselves are going to place some level of value on marriage, so I would only ask if they know any girls you might call if you had good, long-term intentions. If you just want sex, pursue that yourself.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 PM

18,362 posts, read 23,541,961 times
are they paying??

older men have always given advice to younger men,,,often,, its good advice too, to be more mature

Old 01-04-2014, 05:15 PM

1,966 posts, read 1,879,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
What about the opposite sex? Can an older married woman help a younger single woman get a guy?
Lets look at this a different way. Say you wanted to learn to ride a horse. Would you ask for advice form an experienced horse person or from a beginner like yourself? Which would you expect to get the most useful advice from?

Yes an older more experienced person can give advice to a younger person about ways to interact with the opposite sex. Maybe not thinking so much as in helping them score or trick someone into bed or some such nonsense, but just generally helping them to grow as a person and gain social skills that will be helpful for them when they meet new and possibly interesting people.

Seriously... here is my advice to a younger person who wants to meet people....Just stop treating the opposite sex like they are some new and strange species of animal that you have to capture, and talk to them like a normal person. The best long term relationships start out as nothing more than plain old friendships. That mad passionate falling in love at first sight BS is for books and movies not real life.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:47 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,838,891 times
Are you asking if it's in appropriate for an older married guy to be your "wing man"?

I wouldn't think there's a problem, unless he's flirting with her friends. I'm not sure how effective it would be, but I don't think it's inappropriate.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:22 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,345,739 times
Quote:
My girlfriend met her husband this way. When she broke up with my husband's friend, we hit the clubs. I was/am married and I'm about 15 years older than her. Most of my friends called me when they were ready to hit the market. I helped a male friend do this too. He met his wife while out with me. A guy having a female friend at his side is sort of like having your references with you.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:26 PM

32,390 posts, read 59,868,870 times
Quote:
Do you guys think it would be possible, or even appropriate, for an older married guy (say in his 30s, 40s, etc.) help a younger single guy in his 20s to get a girl, whether it's a potential long-term relationship, fling, one-night stand etc.?
I'm not sure that assistance in obtaining a one-night stand or a fling is "help".

Quote:
I'm not sure...but you know how single or young guys go out to clubs or bars and pick up girls or help each other to do that?
They do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships