U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:17 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,571,183 times

Advertisements

I think that all you grump a-- people should just be upfront and tell these folks how tacky you think their gifts are. Save them the trouble of including you, and yourselves the aggravation you are expressing. ...Why be hypocrites.....

Seriously....I am surprised at the comments about receiving family pics....be they gifts or not. And, gifts are just that, whatever someone chooses to give you....

Seeing so many negative comments...I am convinced that some folks need to rethink what family does or does not mean to them, and act accordingly. Uh...Yeah....and Happy Holidays!

Last edited by JanND; 01-12-2015 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 11:26 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,608,301 times
Merry Christmas!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:27 AM

6,893 posts, read 3,372,203 times
I consider it an honor to be included when family and friends give me pictures, framed or unframed.

School photos are expensive, and being someone on the receiving end makes me feel special. I keep them. This past weekend there were a number of young people in my home. I took out their pictures. They were laughing and telling stories. The house was full of hoots and laughter. All because I saved every picture they gave to me when they were very small.
I would be honored if these young people were to include me on their picture list.

How small to disparage such a gift.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I consider it an honor to be included when family and friends give me pictures, framed or unframed.

School photos are expensive, and being someone on the receiving end makes me feel special. I keep them. This past weekend there were a number of young people in my home. I took out their pictures. They were laughing and telling stories. The house was full of hoots and laughter. All because I saved every picture they gave to me when they were very small.
I would be honored if these young people were to include me on their picture list.

Well put! I have to say....I think this is what those folks sharing their children's pics are hoping the receiver feels. Glad your family is mutually loving and caring, them enough to share, and you enough to appreciate it

....IMO Kids cannot not have enough folks to love and support them while they grow up....especially these days.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:48 AM

6,893 posts, read 3,372,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Well put! I have to say....I think this is what those folks sharing their children's pics are hoping the receiver feels. Glad your family is mutually loving and caring, them enough to share, and you enough to appreciate it

....IMO Kids cannot not have enough folks to love and support them while they grow up....especially these days.
Thank you.

Every year my daughters friends, male and female, gave me their wallet pics for a gift. Listening to their stories and fashion critiques made my sides hurt. Our family shares pictures, and still play the embarrassing videos, too.

I would not change a moment of it, and neither would any of our friends and family. While no one is expected to bring out the videos, at the same time it would not be unexpected.

How sad for those who consider stuff like this a burden.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:55 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,704,361 times
Quote:
What's tacky imo is your attitude. If you aren't even that close to them, why would you expect a gift at all....much less gripe about the one you received. At least they are trying to maintain a family connection....

Some of the comments folks are making is disturbing....Seriously...throwing away pics of someone, Now that is tacky.

Just curious....And what do you folks who regard pictures as tacky give to these people that you hold in such disdain...?
People don't have manners anymore. It's all about them. This ME attitude is for the birds. Complaining about someone giving you an unexpected gift is TACKY! They're photos not bags of used cat litter.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:57 PM

ss20ts...Tried to rep u

Old 01-12-2015, 02:00 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,704,361 times
Quote:
ss20ts...Tried to rep u
I can't rep you either.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:23 PM

36,949 posts, read 45,385,657 times
I can top that one. My husbands sister gave us a framed picture, with a poem she wrote, of her dead grandchild.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:50 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,982,226 times
Quote:
I think that all you grump a-- people should just be upfront and tell these folks how tacky you think their gifts are. Save them the trouble of including you, and yourselves the aggravation you are expressing. ...Why be hypocrites.....

Seriously....I am surprised at the comments about receiving family pics....be they gifts or not. And, gifts are just that, whatever someone chooses to give you....

Seeing so many negative comments...I am convinced that some folks need to rethink what family does or does not mean to them, and act accordingly. Uh...Yeah....and Happy Holidays!
Yes, I agree. OP, don't listen to the people who are saying how tacky giving a photo(s) is. On your original post, you indicated that you and the picture giver like each other and that they're kind people, so it was likely meant as a gift of affection, and also likely the giver just has a different philosophy on gift buying at Christmas and other holidays (doesn't feel the need to max out credit cards to show caring and warmth towards those they care about). In other words, they may see gifts as a warm gesture of their affection, or like to give something with a low monetary but high sentimental value. Others, like people who are saying "this is tacky", who, for some reason, seem to be offended by the gift, seem to be equating how extravagant or expensive a gift is with its meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

^^^^ Good advice and thoughts. It's sad how some people really have their priorities misplaced. I would venture to guess that the types of people who camp out at stores for days to get the latest and greatest gadgets rather than spending time with their loved ones or simply quietly reflecting on the meaning of Christmas and other holidays are the ones who would consider a heartfelt gift that wasn't the latest gadget to be "tacky". I have a difficult time relating to those type of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships