U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:52 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,829,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And, one of the last times I went to a bar, with hardly anyone there, the bartender takes me order, sets down my beer, and rushes off to a corner to entertain himself with his Smartphone! Where have all the friendly bartenders gone to!!!
Oh yes, I should have included that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
I thought people went to bars to meet patrons, not bartenders.
I bartended for many years and always had trouble getting people to talk about themselves.
But then again, it might have been the stiff government patrons that were drinking there.
I guess things have changed. Too bad, I've worked with some great bartenders (during college)
who made great money not only by making good drinks but listening to any customer who wanted to
talk. That was part of being a good bartender. (not talking about clubs or searching to meet someone).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 AM

458 posts, read 538,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
dc?
Yup!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,984,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Yup!
Going out drinking in DC, you can run into some of the snootiest, most self-absorbed people in the world.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Going out drinking in DC, you can run into some of the snootiest, most self-absorbed people in the world.
Not just DC, there are other cities too.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,598,421 times
Bars haven't changed. You have. I mean, we're not talking about a Parisian salon here.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Bars haven't changed. You have. I mean, we're not talking about a Parisian salon here.
Not true. Bartenders (and yes even beauticians) worth their salt, know that the ability to listen
welcomes customers and brings them back. "It's a trait of being a good bartender." (links below)
Must be different where you live.

Customers really do consider bartenders sympathetic listeners | Las Vegas Review-Journal
Bartender - How to Hire a Bartender

Old 01-10-2014, 07:49 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,598,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Not true. Bartenders (and yes even beauticians) worth their salt, know that the ability to listen
welcomes customers and brings them back. "It's a trait of being a good bartender." (links below)
Must be different where you live.

Customers really do consider bartenders sympathetic listeners | Las Vegas Review-Journal
Bartender - How to Hire a Bartender
Sorry. I just don't buy it. I have my favorite watering hole, a place with a good bartender. We talk sports and life whenever I stop by. But it's still a bar, and my bartender isn't the same thing as a psychologist. When I was in my early 20s, I liked to go to the loud and crowded places. When I hit my 30s, my tolerance for the noise and game-playing evaporated. Today, I like a place with a steady hum, a competent martini, and a well-kept pool table where I can play the occasional game of stick.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM

^^^^^Never said that a bartender was a substitute for a psychologist. Did the same thing you did in my 20's and 30's
as well as today (enjoying a good cocktail, friendly staff and a welcoming atmosphere). Just saying, it might be different
where you live because the places we have been and go to, the bartenders are very friendly and like to chat.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM

2,725 posts, read 4,784,519 times
I enjoy dive bars.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,466,546 times
Quote:
Plenty of little holes in the wall in Baltimore, which is closer to you, anyway. There are some residential neighborhoods where there is a small bar on nearly every corner. I don't remember the name of the neighborhood, but I remember walking through an area like that, and there was a big AFL-CIO post there. Such bars only had about 8 barstools per--I'm talking hyperlocal--but they seemed like the kind of places where you could just go and hang out.

As for DC, you just need to know where to go. Try some of these:

The Least Douchey Bars In DC - BrightestYoungThings - DC

I can vouch for The Saloon, Saint-EX, and The Tune Inn. Also liked Galaxy Hut in Arlington (which isn't on the list because, well, Virginia, not DC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or