Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 02:25 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times

Advertisements

I live in the burbs so we have some decent bars, and they are filled with more mature people, yes generally older than myself, but I learn a lot of things from these older people...great conversation. There are many bars that are terrible, hole in the walls. As I age I doubt I will be hanging out in bars much longer. I typically do not attend the bars, as I think I should be doing something more meaningful with my health and life. Starting next week on Friday I'm going to head to the gym instead of the bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,852 times
Years ago I went with a friend to a Bar in Ohio he told me if I couldn't hook up in here I must be Gay. Well the time before when he had been there it was CW Music, this time HR

Me I made the best of it, didn't have any money, had five girls buying me drinks, left for my room with two. Next day I asked my friend about what he had said about the place Shut up I don't want to talk about it.

Another time was in NYC my friends said there was a Bar down the street but it had a dress code. Told them, guys put your best on we will go down have a talk with them. Told them these girls acted different than they was use to so take it slow. We went down, they let us in had a very good time.

I no longer drink but times I'm sure haven't changed it's a matter of adapting

brushrunner

Old 01-06-2014, 11:52 AM

19,625 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Bars are not the same. Folks under 40 may think that is the case as they have never been to a real bar.

For example back in the early 1980s Nassau County Long Island had 31 Rock Clubs alone. And the drinking age was 18. Places like Malibu you could catch Billy Idol, My Fathers Place, Springsteen, Speaks the house band used to be Twisted Sister and clubs held like 3k people. Heck their was a club called OBI on the water that had multiple live bands, no cover on Mondays and allowed tailgating in the huge parking lot. Yep it was beachside and they let you show up with RVs and Kegs is you wanted.

Now there is only one left. I recall the second to last one closed a few years ago and owner commented kids today are cheap and boys dont know how to treat girls. He said his last few months he had a handfull of girls in club watching music and drinking while boys sat in parking lot drinking beers and facebooking and texting them to comeout for BJs as boys were too cheap to come inside.

Add in raising drinking age to 21 and tougher DWI and Aids in mid 80s leading up to the new generation who hook up on Match and dating sites bars experienced a huge decline.

The music/bar scene was great in the eighties. It wasn't just about hooking up, not that that wouldn't happen but it was about the music and/or dancing/and actual socializing and just having a good time. We also had a great comedy club scene in Boston then as well as live music scene so there was that option too. I didn't want to miss it and got away with using my fake ID until I was legal. I guess you would get busted for that now and sent to rehab or whatever. I don't know anyone that ever got alcohol poisoning or became an alcoholic from partying at bars or who binge drank all the time. Everyone had their one bad night but then you learned.

Late eighties got cleaner but still plenty of good fun to be had on the town. You had to be adventurous and I think a lot of kids now just don't have that spark.

I agree now despite what is supposed to be greater gender equality and PC, guys treat girls worse than ever. They don't even try to be nice. Everyone is losing social skills.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
I think its local to the OP. I've been in great bars, I've been in ones I didn't care for. I can think of a number of bars that fit your description of what a good bar is. Also, as per the noise issue, the drunker you get, your hearing degrades, which is why parties get loud and why music is played louder toward the end of the night.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:46 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
I had fun going to bars in the 80s/90s. I have rarely gone since then. The other day I tried a bar near my house. The only patrons were some middle aged guys who were hardcore drinkers. A very drunk guy started begging me to buy him a drink. When I tried to order it the bartender said no he's cut off.

I realize that's just one bar but that was enough to hold me for awhile.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:20 PM

526 posts, read 898,689 times
guy in a band that played bars said downhill began with AIDS, small upswing when line dancing was big, computer dating sites caused bigger drop

Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
I think it depends on where you live. I have noticed that many bartenders today don't talk to the patrons like they did in
the past. Today some (not all) go on about themselves in great detail.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Come to Las Vegas, some time, where every bar, even local bars, have slot machines imbedded into the bars. You sit down, and there's this glaring machine in front of your eyes, and you look around at all those playing those machines, and dare you interrupt any of them with even a Hello!!!

And, one of the last times I went to a bar, with hardly anyone there, the bartender takes me order, sets down my beer, and rushes off to a corner to entertain himself with his Smartphone! Where have all the friendly bartenders gone to!!!

Old 01-09-2014, 05:37 AM

458 posts, read 644,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I think it depends on where you live. I have noticed that many bartenders today don't talk to the patrons like they did in
the past. Today some (not all) go on about themselves in great detail.
I thought people went to bars to meet patrons, not bartenders.
I bartended for many years and always had trouble getting people to talk about themselves.
But then again, it might have been the stiff government patrons that were drinking there.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:44 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsloan View Post
i thought people went to bars to meet patrons, not bartenders.
I bartended for many years and always had trouble getting people to talk about themselves.
But then again, it might have been the stiff government patrons that were drinking there.
dc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships