Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:53 PM

5 posts, read 9,949 times

Advertisements

Would you ever move back to your home state because you miss your family?

My story:

I recently accepted a new position and had to relocate to another city. Everything was fun at first, hanging and meeting up with old acquaintances. Acquaintance #1 said something rude about my apartment, so I stopped talking to her. Acquaintance #2 met a guy and has been MIA ever since.

So, basically, I'm here a lone in a new city with no friends and no family.

I'm in contact with my family every day and I really miss them. I was considering moving back home but I'm not sure if I would be able to transfer so soon, and I don't want to be a temporary burden on my family by just jumping the gun and moving anyways.

If my family wasn't in my home state I probably wouldn't want to move back. But I definitely feel like I don't belong here.

I've been having regrets now about moving here. Like maybe I shouldn't have. But there is nothing (besides my family) in my home state anyways.

Basically, I feel as though I don't belong anywhere right now.

I decided I've give myself a year here and if I still feel the same, I'd move. Cold turkey.

Would this be a bad idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Why did you stop talking to the one friend over one comment?
Can't you talk and work it out? In the grand scheme of things that seems so trivial to stop talking to someone over some comment about an apartment no less. The apartment itself? Not you? Not your hair? Not your clothes? The apartment?
The one you rent from someone? The one you don't even own?

As far as the move goes, your choice to uproot yourself and move home because you are homesick and had a fight with your friend and lost the other one to (gasp) a man.

You have to decide what is more important for you and your life. Staying in the position you accepted and find new friends or go home and move in with your parents or sister or brother or whomever and hope you still have a job.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
I like your notion of giving yourself a year. It's reasonably short, and reasonably long.

Be careful during your year that you continue to look for reasons to stay where you are. It's difficult to move to a new place. It would be easy to roll back on your heels and wait for something good to happen during that year. But you need to search out good thing to happen where you are.

If you don't find them after a year of searching, then it was a good attempt. Time to move to somewhere else. Maybe back home ... or maybe forward to somewhere else.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:32 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
If I stopped talking to everyone that made an off hand comment about me or my home I wouldnt have friends either.

Go back home, you may not be socially ready to live away yet.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livebait View Post
Would you ever move back to your home state because you miss your family?

My story:

I recently accepted a new position and had to relocate to another city. Everything was fun at first, hanging and meeting up with old acquaintances. Acquaintance #1 said something rude about my apartment, so I stopped talking to her. Acquaintance #2 met a guy and has been MIA ever since.

So, basically, I'm here a lone in a new city with no friends and no family.

I'm in contact with my family every day and I really miss them. I was considering moving back home but I'm not sure if I would be able to transfer so soon, and I don't want to be a temporary burden on my family by just jumping the gun and moving anyways.

If my family wasn't in my home state I probably wouldn't want to move back. But I definitely feel like I don't belong here.

I've been having regrets now about moving here. Like maybe I shouldn't have. But there is nothing (besides my family) in my home state anyways.

Basically, I feel as though I don't belong anywhere right now.

I decided I've give myself a year here and if I still feel the same, I'd move. Cold turkey.

Would this be a bad idea?
How long have you been there? Give it some time.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:28 PM

41,950 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Giving yourself a year is a good idea. Good luck to you.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Get involved in local activities--volunteer orgs., sports or hiking groups, meetups, etc. Take a yoga or Tai Chi class at the gym. Do what you can to mix, mingle and meet people. That's the only way to give your new home a fair shot.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:47 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,881 times
You don't say how old you are, or give any other information about yourself. That would be helpful to know. You also don't give any additional information about your family, or even your job situation, so it's hard to comment intelligently. Everything else being equal, I'd generally say, take this as a growth opportunity. There are more than two people in your new city. Get out there and meet them. Ask yourself why you were so quick to write acquaintenance (not even friend) #1. This is a great opportunity to learn about yourself, or you can run back to what's comfortable. I think you'll be better in the long run if you stick it out for a while.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:58 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,377 times
Someone once told me (long ago before I was about to move for the first time) that it takes a full year for a place to start feeling like "home." I've found that to be true. I also found that it helps if you really require yourself to get out there and try new things, have new experiences. Don't just sit around your apartment thinking it's a shame these two old acquaintances didn't work out. Join some new groups and try to make new friends too. It really helps to make friends through a shared activity. So consider a cooking class, a running club, volunteering at an animal shelter, a choir or community band if you're musical, church if you're religious... all of these things can help you form those natural connections the same way you used to when you were in school.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,862,571 times
There is nothing wrong with moving to wherever you are comfortable living, but I do think you should give where you are a chance. Put yourself in situations where you can meet new people and make new friends. Anytime you move someplace new, there will be an adjustment period, especially if you don't know anyone yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships