U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 AM

6,278 posts, read 6,065,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
See for me, and most guys I know, all that really needs to be there IS the physical attraction. For guys, most of us can very easily differentiate and separate the physical from the emotional. So for us, sex CAN just be a physical thing thus only need is to have someone we have a PHYSICAL attraction to.
I think that can be applied to both, maybe guys are just more straight/open/honest about it. More of a taboo for a woman to admit those things or any sexual thing for that matter. These girls who wanted to have sex just wanted the physical part too. Itís not like we were in a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:39 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,303,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
.... I'm guessing you don't really have friends, then..... yes, in my opinion men and women can be friends and have no sex.....

I'm friends with people whose general outlook is compatible with mine and whose company I cherish, whether I need their help or (most likely) not. They can be of either sex and have good looks or plain looks. We have fun together, we're like family after all these years (most of my friends have been there since I was a teen), we love to hang out and we always try to keep in touch when we're apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post
...Dating hasn't changed (at least not for me and I'm 27). I prefer to develop a friendship first and take things slow. But yeah, it seems many people mistake sexual compatibility for love which is pretty obvious given the divorce stats.
Should put more information so there are no misconceptions...

I have been out of the single market for some time...I'm 49, married for 21+ years, have my own company, and after 14 years still attending college a couple of mornings a week.

I'm one of a few guys, in an intimate relationship class. The teacher has been giving us copies of articles about how the dating scene has changed, especially around colleges. People have sex first, then have the relationship later... I have disagreed with the teacher on the material many times, because it doesn't tell the whole picture..

I'm working on a thesis making the statement - can women and man be friends without sex...
. ....was looking for response to support "Yes men and women can be friends without sex".

I appropriate your responses to support this..

Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,036,572 times
Absolutely men and women can be friends without sex. I have plenty of female friends. Matter of fact I would venture to say I have more female friends, than male friends. And we talk about everything. Been this way since elementary school. And I never have a desire to be with them sexually. And also none of them are buffarillas or anything, they are all good looking women. I never understood this whole men and women can't be friends. Before we are men or women, we are people, and it is possible to just be cool with people you have things in common with, without wanting to jump all over them.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,592,908 times
Default Can men and women be friends?

As I get older I wonder if it is possible for people of the opposite sex to be friends. I've had situations where no romantic interest is there but we have common interests, enjoy each others company, and are really cool when we talk yet the guys seems to "act funny."
Let me specify, I'm not one of those gold-diggers who comes up with this title of "friend" which means we hang out, with no interest in each other romantically/physically, but expect a man to pay for me like we're on a date.

What's the deal? How does a guy call/talk to you, have conversation with you, and then act strange when it comes to hanging out? I've put it out there jokingly that I'm available to hang out and I'm a dutch girl with two guys that I know. Is it a regional thing meaning some cultures don't really view women as equals, i.e. we are only slay worthy, and if that's not on the table then they act strange or aren't interested in being friends? Is it an individual situation? What are your thoughts?

I want to be fair but I've worked and met men from elsewhere and we've been great friends. We have double dating, hung out at night with/without dates, and had road trips with friends and its all good.

Give me your thoughts?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:30 PM

9,041 posts, read 8,285,989 times
I'm not sure what consitutes "older", but I would say it would be an individual choice rather than a geographic issue. Maybe you're a nice friend to talk to, but if they're not looking for a relationship with you, they don't want to spend time with you when they could use that time trying to pursue a romantic relationship with someone?

My SO has a close female friend for the past 20 years or so, and on occasion she seems to lament that they don't get to do the same things they used to, barely see each other anymore. While they have a long history, his friendship with her is not his priority. Doesn't mean they can't be friends, but the relationship he and I are developing together is where his attention is. Everyone in this situation is also 40 years old too, not sure if that fits what you're looking for here.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 PM

28,391 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
As I get older I wonder if it is possible for people of the opposite sex to be friends. I've had situations where no romantic interest is there but we have common interests, enjoy each others company, and are really cool when we talk yet the guys seems to "act funny." Give me your thoughts?
nah, they pretty much wanna nail you too

men and women can not be friends - YouTube

Old 06-11-2012, 02:14 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,507,072 times
I think that it's fine when you're younger (in HS, college, or immediately upon entering the work force), but as you mature, there's a "conflict of interests" and I am less apt to want to deal with it.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:23 PM

5,183 posts, read 13,299,098 times
Yes...I think opposite sexes can be purely platonic friends.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:31 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,966,736 times
There are many girls I consider friends, but I'm still a young pup so maybe the "real" world is more complicated. I really wouldn't want that to change, however.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:37 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,341,421 times
My most Prized Possesion of a Friend is female type. Many thought we had something going on yet; nothing more than good friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships