U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:27 AM

873 posts, read 1,358,521 times

Advertisements

My mother keeps asking for money! I am employed f/t in my late 20s, I live 12 hours from home. My sister is 4 years younger still at home with a kid that's 4. My sister and I cant afford to keep giving her money and I'm annoyed. I have bills(including loans) as well as my sister. I cant get her off my back. She spends poorly and her cards are maxed out. She is married, but my stepfather doesnt give her money, what can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 AM

8,988 posts, read 14,684,236 times
Nothing - don't enable her bad spending problems. If the cards are maxed out and she stops getting money from other sources, she stops spending. Problem solved. Just say you do not have the money. End of story.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,789,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
My mother keeps asking for money! I am employed f/t in my late 20s, I live 12 hours from home. My sister is 4 years younger still at home with a kid that's 4. My sister and I cant afford to keep giving her money and I'm annoyed. I have bills(including loans) as well as my sister. I cant get her off my back. She spends poorly and her cards are maxed out. She is married, but my stepfather doesnt give her money, what can I do?

Find her a good financial planner or financial firm who can assist her with reducing her debt and reducing how many credit cards and their limits. I know a woman who's husband did that for her because he was tired of it.

If your sister lives with her at her house with her and her kid then there may be some financial responsibility to assist with living expenses your mother is incurring by having her live there.

Why am I getting the feeling there is a lot more missing information to this story to form any type of educated opinion and advice?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM

I keep telling her no! She just requested me to give her cash because she over drew her account and last week she couldn't pay her car insurance. I am planning on going to grad school this year. I can't afford it

Old 01-04-2014, 10:47 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,227,566 times
Be strong.

Don't give here a dime. If she pleads real poverty, buy her milk, eggs, bread, peanut butter.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I keep telling her no! She just requested me to give her cash because she over drew her account and last week she couldn't pay her car insurance. I am planning on going to grad school this year. I can't afford it
Then don't do it. A firm no and please don't ask for any should be enough. She's going to have to get her own bills in order and with your Stepfather.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Find her a good financial planner or financial firm who can assist her with reducing her debt and reducing how many credit cards and their limits. I know a woman who's husband did that for her because he was tired of it.

If your sister lives with her at her house with her and her kid then there may be some financial responsibility to assist with living expenses your mother is incurring by having her live there.

Why am I getting the feeling there is a lot more missing information to this story to form any type of educated opinion and advice?
What information do you think is missing? She's always had bad spending habits. She likes to shop and dine out a lot. We've told her to stop. Obviously she hasn't

Old 01-04-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
What information do you think is missing? She's always had bad spending habits. She likes to shop and dine out a lot. We've told her to stop. Obviously she hasn't
It's the issue and description of your sister still living there with her 4 year old child and how it came across as if she owes her nothing for living expenses because she has her own bills. That there raises the red flag.

Also, what is it exactly you are looking for people to tell you except for telling her 'NO.' It's something you already know so are you just looking for approval to do that or something else?

ETA: The issue of your Stepfather doing nothing even though they are married makes things questionable too. What's the deal with that?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Then don't do it. A firm no and please don't ask for any should be enough. She's going to have to get her own bills in order and with your Stepfather.
This isn't new for her. She's been doing this since I was in college. Almost 10 years now! I'm fed up with it

Old 01-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
It's the issue and description of your sister still living there with her 4 year old child and how it came across as if she owes her nothing for living expenses because she has her own bills. That there raises the red flag.

Also, what is it exactly you are looking for people to tell you except for telling her 'NO.' It's something you already know so are you just looking for approval to do that or something else?
My sister gives them money for food and the car insurance. They'll ask for money to go on dinner dates. Which is not the responsibility of sister and I to finance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships