Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times

Advertisements

I'd say just leave things as they are. Is it really worth the effort to make a statement? I have plenty of old friends I rarely see and feel indifferent towards, but if we have significant social crossover or if I need to contact one of them occasionally, it's good to keep them on FB. It's not necessary to agree or even like some people in your past to maintain a connection with.

You take FB too seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglandia View Post
At this point I consider it that we've been aware of each other's existence for that long but haven't been actual friends, from my POV, in years. We've both changed to the point where we are complete opposites in almost every aspect of life. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind differences whatsoever, it's what makes people interesting, but she uses differences as a platform for some fairly s*itty behavior; again, from my POV.

Examples. Politics....I'm middle of the road and she's conservative. Religion.... she's a born again Christian and I'm spiritual but not religious. Pretty opposite POVs and those topics can make for some interesting conversation, if one was interested and I'm not. Problem is, she won't leave those topics alone. It can be exhausting to talk to her, even "talking" via email.

I just don't want to devote the time or the energy to this draining relationship any longer but also don't want to be mean or cause drama. Ugh.
Then don't respond. If she asks you why, say that you do not agree with her, and you would appreciate it if she stopped bringing those topics up. Maybe she'll stop, and you will find some common ground again. If she doesn't, then at least you've been open and honest with her, and in a sense, she has been warned. Then you can drop her and block her as you feel comfortable with. Then you can say that at least you tried, and she had a fair chance at meeting you halfway.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:51 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Delete email address and facebook or block everything, takes a few minutes and really should not be that difficult to figure out.
Agree with this. I did this by blocking people from FB to see if this stopped my annoyance with them. If they questioned it, I told them I deleted my account. FB seriously made me hate all my friends and the annoying crap they would post. One in particular claimed to make $120k/year and actually asked her FB friends if she could borrow $1 Glade Plug-Ins!!

I'm also a huge fan of blocking numbers through my cell provider.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I'd say just leave things as they are. Is it really worth the effort to make a statement? I have plenty of old friends I rarely see and feel indifferent towards, but if we have significant social crossover or if I need to contact one of them occasionally, it's good to keep them on FB. It's not necessary to agree or even like some people in your past to maintain a connection with.

This.
You sound resentful of her behavior. I would be wary of taking any action like cutting her out of your life while feeling this way. You may later regret it. You don't have to be close, but you don't need to cut her out of your life completely either. This may be a good time to learn how to set boundaries instead of burning bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships