U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you?
Yes 16 47.06%
No 12 35.29%
Undecided 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:22 PM

4,827 posts, read 7,249,608 times

Advertisements

The only person on this planet I would give my life for is my daughter. There is no one else that would warrant me sacrificing my life for theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 PM

55,520 posts, read 74,415,857 times
i am not in to giving my life to protect others, i would rather give the lives of those that would harm them.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 PM

3,967 posts, read 4,590,729 times
Heavens no. I wouldn't even give my life for a child. Not because they are a child at least. I would have to care for them more than myself which there is one woman who fits that bill. That is simply because life isn't that valuable to me to not do that for her.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,604,037 times
You know, you love these unanswerable hypothetical questions.

Here's the deal. You have zero idea how you will actually respond until the moment comes. None. Zilch. The people who say they'd fling themselves in front of a bus for a loved one? Until they've actually done it, it's all self-aggrandizing bluster. Hey, I really think I would for one of my children, but hopefully I'll never be tested in that manner.

The other part of this is the weird, transactional nature of how you view personal relationships. In other words, "If you do this for me, I'll do this for you." To me, there is only one question to ask in those kinds of situations: "Is this the right thing to do?" Not what you'll get out of it.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM

994 posts, read 1,262,514 times
I like to think I'd take a bullet for anyone, even a stranger. That's just because I couldn't live with myself if I knew that somebody died unnecessarily, and I could have done something about it but was too cowardly.

So, I'd really like to think that I'd give my life for a family member since they have the added association of being a person that I know intimately and love.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 AM

888 posts, read 911,983 times
I would happily give my life to anyone in my family or close friends if they needed. I've been ready to go everyday for the better part of a decade, that would be the cherry on top to go out in such a noble and generous way.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 AM

9,681 posts, read 6,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not including children, but also comment on if you would still sacrifice your life for your child if you knew (say psychically or they told you) that they would not sacrifice their life for you (if the situation arose, of course). Of course one might argue the latter is less 'natural', but I'm sure some children might for various reasons.

I'm speaking mostly about your spouse (who you still love) or a sibling you're very close to. Assume that they loved you, but they said they just couldn't give their life for you. I'm not saying not wanting to sacrifice yourself makes you bad or you should be expected to, but it would probably factor into your willingness to lay down your life to save them. For instance, if you had to take a bullet for them. Let's stick to a theoretical situation and stick to it being hypothetical without too many 'if's' or 'buts'. Don't bring your real life situation into it and give reasons as a cop out. Just a simple yes or no with reasoning, or else don't answer.

I have to admit I probably would not. Maybe it makes me selfish, but I could only do it for someone who loved me that much. If I had a wife and children, it might be nobler if she is the principle care-giver, but I don't think I could bring myself to do it if they wouldn't do it. The thing is, I would hardly EXPECT anyone to do that for me in the first place anyway. I think the whole idea of self-sacrifice goes against nature, but if someone truly believes that another deserves to live more than they than I do have some sort of deep respect for them as well.
Thinking about this, I believe I'd give my life for my children, or my husband. I have two sisters who've written off our family, one sister actually sent a vicious, nasty response to a Christmas card I recently sent to her ( just keeping the doors open on my part), instructing me not to contact her again- so heh- don't think I'll be giving her the time of day......and the other sister has built up a whole fantasy life, from all indications, and wants no family members around who might belie the persona that she presents to others.

Hard to say, really.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:59 AM

2,687 posts, read 4,385,553 times
I said yes, because my wife would probably be a better parent without me than I would without her.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 PM

24,000 posts, read 30,118,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I said yes, because my wife would probably be a better parent without me than I would without her.
I think me and my wife are both capable of being great parents to our children if we lost the other one. however, when I say that id "risk" my life for my wife vs "give" it, Id hate to put us in a situation where neither of us are around for our children.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:18 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,599,672 times
Well, personally I would have to say that yes, I would. Whether or not they would reciprocate has no part in my decision. If you love somebody and they are your family - you love them unconditionally - warts and all. How could you possibly determine if they would do the same for you - nobody would ever have a discussion or an agreement on something like that - it would be a heart decision. I have never loved someone for the simple reason that they loved me - it's great if they do - but sometimes they don't. I never had the privilege of having children but I would have loved and protected them. I loved and protected and cared for my parents and my siblings. I love my husband and yes, I would have given my life gladly to save any one of them - because I love them - and not because I had any expectation of anything in return. When generations of soldiers have gone off to war and fought and died they did not have any expectation of anything other than returning home. People sacrifice their own lives for perfect strangers every single day. They gave the ultimate sacrifices for many unknown people - and so do firefighters and police officers every single day. I don't see what your point is - we're all going to die someday. I would rather go and save someone that I love if I have the choice - but we never know what choices we will ultimately have to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships