U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you?
Yes 16 47.06%
No 12 35.29%
Undecided 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,169,735 times

Advertisements

Not including children, but also comment on if you would still sacrifice your life for your child if you knew (say psychically or they told you) that they would not sacrifice their life for you (if the situation arose, of course). Of course one might argue the latter is less 'natural', but I'm sure some children might for various reasons.

I'm speaking mostly about your spouse (who you still love) or a sibling you're very close to. Assume that they loved you, but they said they just couldn't give their life for you. I'm not saying not wanting to sacrifice yourself makes you bad or you should be expected to, but it would probably factor into your willingness to lay down your life to save them. For instance, if you had to take a bullet for them. Let's stick to a theoretical situation and stick to it being hypothetical without too many 'if's' or 'buts'. Don't bring your real life situation into it and give reasons as a cop out. Just a simple yes or no with reasoning, or else don't answer.

I have to admit I probably would not. Maybe it makes me selfish, but I could only do it for someone who loved me that much. If I had a wife and children, it might be nobler if she is the principle care-giver, but I don't think I could bring myself to do it if they wouldn't do it. The thing is, I would hardly EXPECT anyone to do that for me in the first place anyway. I think the whole idea of self-sacrifice goes against nature, but if someone truly believes that another deserves to live more than they than I do have some sort of deep respect for them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,511,735 times
Probably Not. I apologize if this sounds selfish, but if I were to make that sacrifice, then they would need to be willing to likewise do the same if I would want them to do this. Also, this applies to any family member of mine.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,511,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Of course one might argue the latter is less 'natural', but I'm sure some children might for various reasons.
Why exactly is something being natural vs. non-natural relevant here?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,169,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Why exactly is something being natural vs. non-natural relevant here?
Think about it, why would a person be more willing to sacrifice their life for child than a parent, sibling, spouse. Simply biology/evolutionary psychology.etc.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,683,442 times
"Don't bring your real life situations into it..."

Seriously, then what's the point?

Just your added elaboration in the above post will eventually yield someone to draw on their real life experiences. It's how people shape the way they feel and is extremely relevant. Is this just some kind of homework project or just a numbers thing?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:51 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,571,011 times
I have no idea - I have never been in that situation before, and I hope I never am.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:17 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,490,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I have no idea - I have never been in that situation before, and I hope I never am.
Pretty much the answer!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:32 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,112,309 times
Yes I would.

My policy is to save those in my family and close friends from distress when in need and not expect anything in return.

I have only done it once before to a close friend of mine when he was in financial trouble after his father had severe health problems. My buddy needed a computer to study engineering at a well reputed university, but his family was poor and made spending for his dad's healthcare the priority. Hearing his heart touching story, I decided to donate my in tact desktop along with my chair, work table, and reading lamp free of cost along with a donation from my dad for him to get through college expenses. He is in his senior year of college with a well paying job at his hands now, and always thanks me for my act of kindness aiding his success. I expect nothing in return from him unless he is willing to offer me something. Knowing I changed his life for the better is in itself a great source of satisfaction for me .

Old 01-07-2014, 07:53 AM

13,675 posts, read 13,496,882 times
It's not about how they feel about me. It's about who I am. That's what guides my actions.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,683,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Yes I would.

My policy is to save those in my family and close friends from distress when in need and not expect anything in return.

I have only done it once before to a close friend of mine when he was in financial trouble after his father had severe health problems. My buddy needed a computer to study engineering at a well reputed university, but his family was poor and made spending for his dad's healthcare the priority. Hearing his heart touching story, I decided to donate my in tact desktop along with my chair, work table, and reading lamp free of cost along with a donation from my dad for him to get through college expenses. He is in his senior year of college with a well paying job at his hands now, and always thanks me for my act of kindness aiding his success. I expect nothing in return from him unless he is willing to offer me something. Knowing I changed his life for the better is in itself a great source of satisfaction for me .
OOPS! Be careful. He expressly said in his OP that you were not to bring real life experiences into this or don't post.

(See how that's working OP)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships