Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel among a large group of the OS (ppl around your age)?
I usually love it, inc. the attention 25 32.47%
It doesn't affect me much 30 38.96%
I feel mildly uncomfortable 11 14.29%
Get me outta here! 11 14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:08 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times

Advertisements

Depends if I know them or not and the situation as a whole

I work with many women and have them as clients - business meetings, lunches, etc are never and issue - we talk about all the normal stuff and it's really no different than if the seats were filled by men .... even if I don't know them it's not an issue

If it's my wife and her/our friends again it's not an issue ........ they all work together, so if the topic goes to work stuff, gossip, etc I'm usually strolling in some other direction because I simply have nothing to offer and really don't care

If it's people I really don't know and have no reason to talk to, but am simply around due to circumstance I don't like it ...... even at "mixer" type events I don't like it ......... has little to do with gender, I'm just not someone who initiates conversations well or feels the need to talk much - so to probe for a purpose to talk isn't something I'm comfortable with or enjoy

It's a little bit easier to deal with men in that situation simply because there are usually some universal fall backs that tend to be common conversation threads (especially sports)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe it reminds me of days when groups of girls in high school would giggle at me, or just feeling awkward or the centre of attention, but I'm wondering if any other males feel uncomfortable, awkward, insecure, vulnerable, out of place in a group of females? Like they're gossiping about you, judging you? Mainly younger women, I think, I think I feel more comfortable among groups of middle aged and older ladies.

I might as well ask if women feel the same if they are the only female in a large group of males, say more than 3-4?
nah, its hard to make me feel uncomfortable. women/girls are easier than men since they are usually easier to talk to.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:05 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
I'm pretty comfortable with it. I work in a place where the ratio of women to men is about 20:1 and I've done so for twenty-one years. There are only four men, so I can't be bothered by it too much.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I think there might be a generational difference at play here. I'm a very young adult female, and I can't say that I've noticed too many of my female peers being gossipy, judgmental, backstabbing, or any of the other stereotypical descriptions that have been given to my gender in this thread. At least not any more so that I've noticed it with guys my age.
It's not true, that's why. It's just another misogynistic idea accepted as truth.

I notice the women who claim they avoid women because other women (all but them; guess they're so spessshial) are supposedly catty are really the catty ones who CREATE the drama. The reason it follows them around is because they are the ones causing it; and they DON'T behave the same around men. Frankly, I think it is their own jealousy issues, not other women being catty.

I currently know one woman like that, who makes snide remarks about the "high school" attitudes of other women, but she is the only one who gossips and makes such remarks. Everyone else is cool.

As for men being scared women are judging them... I find that odd. It's not like we have some collective brain where simultaneously we're telepathically channeling criticisms about you to each other.

Women also talk a LOT less about men in our private conversations than many men seem to think. We have many other things to talk about, which may not involve you, other men, nor even "people we know".

Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
It's not true, that's why. It's just another misogynistic idea accepted as truth.

I notice the women who claim they avoid women because other women (all but them; guess they're so spessshial) are supposedly catty are really the catty ones who CREATE the drama. The reason it follows them around is because they are the ones causing it; and they DON'T behave the same around men. Frankly, I think it is their own jealousy issues, not other women being catty.

I currently know one woman like that, who makes snide remarks about the "high school" attitudes of other women, but she is the only one who gossips and makes such remarks. Everyone else is cool.

As for men being scared women are judging them... I find that odd. It's not like we have some collective brain where simultaneously we're telepathically channeling criticisms about you to each other.

Women also talk a LOT less about men in our private conversations than many men seem to think. We have many other things to talk about, which may not involve you, other men, nor even "people we know".
I wasn't suggesting that all women are catty/bitchy.etc in my OP, although it seems quite a few people, both men and women, seem to believe this. It probably varies on the individual group, and some men can be like this too.

But I suppose it's hard for some women to understand how intimidating it can be being the sole man with a group of women (I can hear some telling me to nut up, but whatever), especially one when is shy and insecure. It's a different dynamic to a woman with a group of men, so not really entirely comparable.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
From a chick: people are people. You be you. And know you're awesome to someone out there so be you and she might be watching.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 PM

204 posts, read 309,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
No. I'm not an alpha male and consequently I'm ignored by 95%+ of women. If I happen to be in a group of women, it's because it's a work event or because my SO dragged me into it and either case they just ignore me (at worst) or treat me as another of the "girls" (at best). I'm so used to being ignored that receiving any attention makes me nervous and flustered.
Can I offer you a piece of advice?

Man up. Bro, you are probably awesome, but if your just that sack of meat who let's women run over them then of course they will ignore you.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
I'm very comfortable around women. ""Julian, is that a new suit? "" "" Julian, your reports are impeccable and detailed as usual"" "" Julian thanks for buying us lunch ""

Yeah you bet I'm comfortable!

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 09:08 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
My brother works for a national corporation. His boss at work is a woman and all but three of the employees he supervises are women. I've been to his workplace and it's very professional and I didn't hear any more chatter than I heard when I worked for an engineering corporation where women were outnumbered about 20 to one. He has a wife and two daughters at home and me and our mother living three miles away. We often go out as a group. He seems to enjoy our company. My other brother also has a wife and two daughters. When he bought a dog he joked about making sure it was male but other than that he seems to enjoy his lot in life, too. Maybe a man's relationship with his mother and sisters growing up informs his future relationships with the opposite sex.

To CSD610, who supervised a group of teenaged girls and older "gals" at a truck stop, one might ask why didn't he just hire some men if he was unhappy with female employees who wouldn't "shut up, won't quit gossiping and are generally a bunch of back stabbing broads that aren't worth two cents when it comes to getting actual work done." Somebody at the truck stop must have liked them or why were they there?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I was 38 years old then and I am currently 53 years old.......
Me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships