Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:46 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
That is always your answer for everything.
Yeah and interestingly people don't ask me BS questions, but I'm still popular at parties and friends still seek my advice. Funny thing happens when you are a blunt and no BS person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:46 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Over Christmas I saw some relatives I hadn't seen in a decade. One relative, who is in her 70s, kept asking me the nosiest questions about things that I did not want to share, certainly with an entire group of people staring at me --- questions about my financial status, or a my personal life.

A few times I was able to divert the questions, and I resorted to "If I told you I'd have to kill you." (which she should have understood given that her son was in the military!) And then I responded, "Well that's nobody's business...(hint hint.) But she kept asking these privacy-invading questions.

Has anyone come up with a good, polite way to deflect questions like this without being rude? Otherwise I like this lady and I wouldn't want to alienate any of my relatives.
A non response works well for me. Like, Them: "Why aren't you married yet?" Me: "Interesting question. Say, that reminds me, my cat did the cutest thing the other day! Blah, blah, blah." People who ask overly personal questions seldom seem to have the mindset which allows them to pick up on polite hints. If they did, they'd never ask such questions in the first place. If you consistently meet them with an oblivious reply of your own, they'll eventually weary of the game. If they don't, tell them you've started smoking again and need to step outside.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:11 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
I agree--change the subject, or make a smart-aleck remark, and smile or chuckle to yourself.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Trash was his cash LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I used to work for a world wide waste hauling company. I'm a female of Italian decent to boot. I worked in a managerial/administrative capacity and traveled a lot. People would ask me what I did for a living and I would just tell them, "I'm a garbage man." This used to produce great laughter from one of my girlfriends who ever heard me say it because immediately someone would say, "No, you're not" and my friend would be howling and say, "Yes, she actually is." I would tell them I liked it because I could furnish my house from the things I found on my route. But, you know, 'the family' really frowns on that, but looks the other way a lot.
My husband started out with a large waste firm. He was a controller there but had so many funny jokes - like "We Deliver Weddings" and "Our Trucks have Bad Breath"

Old 01-09-2014, 09:55 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile You never know

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I say turn all of her invasion questions around and ask them of her!

She says this:

"How are your finances?"

You say this: "Great. How are your finances?"

She'll get the message really fast--this I guarantee!
Maybe she'll put you in her will.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:38 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Just say, "That's none of your effin' business. Now shut the eff up." Except don't really say eff. When she tells someone and they ask you about it, get a concerned look on your face, deny everything and ask if she's shown other signs of dementia.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:45 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I would say if you don't mind I am not comfortable talking about personal things like that but I appreciate your concern.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Polite isn't my forte but it is good. "If I answer you then I'll have to kill you. You still want it?" They always say no. You have to have a dead serious look on your face though.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:22 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
There are just some people in this world who have no second thoughts about crossing boundaries that they probably even don't know exist. Either it was the way they were raised or they just don't care about being rude - I think it's a sign of disrespect, too. I think it's best just to turn the tables on them - if they ask a personal question, just say that you rarely hear someone ask somebody else that and they must really want to know the answer to ask that even if it makes them uncomfortable to ask (we know that's not true) - then ask point blank why? And, lock eyes with them, like it is that interesting for you to know WHY they are asking. If all fails, know you are dealing with a jerk, and change the subject.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:32 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yeah and interestingly people don't ask me BS questions, but I'm still popular at parties and friends still seek my advice. Funny thing happens when you are a blunt and no BS person.
I am very blunt too, but as they say, 'if you can't pound the facts, pound the table.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships