U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2014, 01:26 PM
 
588 posts, read 805,940 times
Reputation: 496

Advertisements

Hi! I'm not sure which category to put this under, so I chose this one. Last Friday morning, I entered a well-known fast food restaurant. The only employee working at that time was on his cell phone. He looked at me yet continued talking. I stood there forever and he just kept on talking. So I left.
Yet, as I was getting into my car, I noticed another [male] customer walk in, and the employee quickly got off the phone and served him!!

I never, ever yell sexism, but wow! To me, it seems like that's what this was. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 PM
 
Location: NJ
24,104 posts, read 30,225,572 times
Reputation: 15990
im not sure sexism is the right word but I can imagine some people are more responsive to men because dealing with men can be more intimidating than women. its one of the reasons I always fight my wife's battles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 01:30 PM
 
Location: in the miseries
3,302 posts, read 3,577,670 times
Reputation: 3810
Maybe you were too little for him to notice. I would have loudly asked for his help! No door mats allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 01:35 PM
 
588 posts, read 805,940 times
Reputation: 496
Yeah, I am a pretty passive person. I don't like having to say, "Helllllloooooooo??? Am I invisible standing here?" LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM
 
588 posts, read 805,940 times
Reputation: 496
I think the reason I got offended is because the restaurant is tiny and a bell rings when you open the door. And it was 7a.m. So I felt like he would've seen me even if we hadn't made eye contact. He turned when the bell dinged, and there we were, the only 2 in the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 01:38 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Reputation: 46025
Speak to the manager. Just pick up the phone and call. Better yet, find one of those opinion cards and send it to the district manager. Not only will they address matters, but they'll likely send you a bunch of free coupons in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM
 
588 posts, read 805,940 times
Reputation: 496
I actually called and left a message on Friday. No response. Thanks everyone, for the great responses so far. I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM
 
25,953 posts, read 26,754,510 times
Reputation: 26716
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Hi! I'm not sure which category to put this under, so I chose this one. Last Friday morning, I entered a well-known fast food restaurant. The only employee working at that time was on his cell phone. He looked at me yet continued talking. I stood there forever and he just kept on talking. So I left.
Yet, as I was getting into my car, I noticed another [male] customer walk in, and the employee quickly got off the phone and served him!!

I never, ever yell sexism, but wow! To me, it seems like that's what this was. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your comments
Well, it may have been an emergency he was trying to keep under wraps to the customer.

While just the other day I was going to make a quick run through a drive through and the place was on fire. I mean this sucker had flames shooting out of it and thick black smoke and 7 fire trucks on it.

Sure, why didn't he go outside and make a call? No offense to anyone who works at one, because there are many fine individuals who do, but I have found many fast food employees of high school age these days aren't the brightest bulbs on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 01:55 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,419 posts, read 37,622,069 times
Reputation: 39049
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
And it was 7a.m. So I felt like he would've seen me even if we hadn't made eye contact. He turned when the bell dinged, and there we were, the only 2 in the place.
Was it exactly 7... or just before? Maybe it was 6:58 and his shift started at 7:00.

(still no reason to ignore you... he could have said "I'll be with you in a few minutes")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM
 
588 posts, read 805,940 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Well, it may have been an emergency he was trying to keep under wraps to the customer.

While just the other day I was going to make a quick run through a drive through and the place was on fire. I mean this sucker had flames shooting out of it and thick black smoke and 7 fire trucks on it.

Sure, why didn't he go outside and make a call? No offense to anyone who works at one, because there are many fine individuals who do, but I have found many fast food employees of high school age these days aren't the brightest bulbs on the planet.
That makes sense. Thanks for the answer. He appeared to be in his late thirties, and I did try to take note of his tone of voice and body language to see if it may have been an emergency. He was speaking in his native language (?) I think he was Persian or, hmm, I'm not sure, not good with telling a person's race. But he seemed so...casual, ya know? Like he was talking to a friend. I'm not sure, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top