Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 05:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
Valentine's day was nice. Trying to find an, and I know there's no easy way with her, easy and nice way to tell her to get a job or start contributing to the housework. Sure her rebuttal will be . " Are we broke"? Or " I'm not your slave". This'll hard but necessary.
I think you should have a serious conversation about the next phase of your lives. You can tell her what you want. She can tell you what she wants. They won't match, so that would be a good time to suggest some counseling to try to come to an agreement about where your life goes from here. If she won't go and won't compromise, you can leave her, or spend the rest of your life living the way she wants.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The OP has already done "actual" ultimatums-- the problem lies in the fact that he never carries it out throughly. As per the previous thread, he went as far as to set an appointment with a divorce lawyer (with his wife's knowledge)... He never did clarify and ignores any questions asking if he actually went. So the issue became moot as it became very clear the OP isn't looking for any actual change that he has to help create.

I don't think the wife getting a job is the correct solution and he didn't help his case by telling her recently that if she didn't want a job, then she didn't have to. He needs to be pushing for therapy -- but notice he's not even trying to push for that. Him taking the task of pushing for her getting a job or "contributing" to the empty household (as the son was living in the pool house, away from Mom) is a nonstarter. He knows that, which is why he's doing it.
Wow. Thanks for this info. I glanced over the other threads but didn't read every post.

If he's already threatened to see a divorce lawyer, I'd make a counseling appointment and say "if you do not go, we will go talk to a divorce lawyer." If she refuses to go to both, then I think he should go to the lawyer and then bring back some type of papers/information (not actual divorce papers) to show her that he went.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:48 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
This thread is still going on??? Yawwwwwwn.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:58 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Valentine's day was nice. Trying to find an, and I know there's no easy way with her, easy and nice way to tell her to get a job or start contributing to the housework. Sure her rebuttal will be . " Are we broke"? Or " I'm not your slave". This'll hard but necessary.
My response would be "Am I your slave?"

And insist on an response.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Irish, what do you mean by "start contributing to the housework"? Doesn't she do that now? You never did hire a maid for her, did you? I really don't see a need for her to get a job. If she's the one keeping up the house, leave it alone. As long as you have the power to nix any hired help, leave it alone. You know you won't divorce, so just leave it alone.

Oh, and I think you should just leave it alone.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 PM

818 posts, read 856,881 times
What it's been a month? Wife and I still fight, but less often, it's more bickering than fighting. His college and job stuff is coming along. He has a job now( much to her dismay) and she still hates Rachel. He begged me to bring Rachel on break with us, but I told him that Mom would snap and unleash a new meaning to the term " living hell"

Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 PM

It's been at least 3 months and Rachel is still around? I feel sorry for her and your son on many levels. Guess she's not completely horrible since she's still dating him.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
It's been at least 3 months and Rachel is still around? I feel sorry for her and your son on many levels. Guess she's not completely horrible since she's still dating him.
he and I try to keep them separate. If its Rachel/my son date night at the house, than its wife/me date night on the town.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
he and I try to keep them separate. If its Rachel/my son date night at the house, than its wife/me date night on the town.
Wifey needs to get over herself. Everything isn't about her.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Wifey needs to get over herself. Everything isn't about her.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships