Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 01:27 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I'm sorry guys, but just sticking to this thread and some of the other's I've read, this issue here is not as uncommon as people think it is.

Typically it happens with the mother to her first born, her last male son, or the only one. Many fathers react like this regarding their daughters. Did any of you see the movie "Meet the Parents" in which this very thing was what the movie was about?
You're obviously a very kind person, but I'm sure you'll eventually get why the OP is very exasperating and his family situation is actually quite sad and frustrating (even for us, and the thing of it is.... we are not even living it).

But no one said is saying it's uncommon... Good advice and commentary are generally wasted on this particular poster. Had it been any other poster, it would've been a serious (and helpful) conversation.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:55 PM

818 posts, read 857,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
You're obviously a very kind person, but I'm sure you'll eventually get why the OP is very exasperating and his family situation is actually quite sad and frustrating (even for us, and the thing of it is.... we are not even living it).

But no one said is saying it's uncommon... Good advice and commentary are generally wasted on this particular poster. Had it been any other poster, it would've been a serious (and helpful) conversation.
I took the advice and went to therapy thus improving my father/son relationship as you might recall.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I took the advice and went to therapy thus improving my father/son relationship as you might recall.
The prior poster was referring to your relationship with your wife.

Anyway, since when does a 19-yr old young man need permission from mommy to get a job? I'll tell you when, since he possibly doesn't really want to work, and uses it as his excuse to lie to dad about actually wanting to work. All the responsibility and blame is off of him and he plays his parents against each other because mom is the head of household. Dad is just there to pay the bills, thus making him get a job is futile. You will be supporting him and his future wife and their kids for the rest of their lives.

Now go thank your wife for that.

Of course, you could always tell your son to ignore what his mom says and just do it. And that if mom tells him to leave the house, to ignore that, too. And you darn well better be there to stand up to her for him. Dreams.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:30 PM

I'll just tell him to go on with his relationship and I'll handle his mom.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I'm sorry guys, but just sticking to this thread and some of the other's I've read, this issue here is not as uncommon as people think it is.

Typically it happens with the mother to her first born, her last male son, or the only one. Many fathers react like this regarding their daughters. Did any of you see the movie "Meet the Parents" in which this very thing was what the movie was about?
Sure, it's common.

In this case, its a teeny, tiny item on their list of problems.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I'll just tell him to go on with his relationship and I'll handle his mom.
With your previous methods of flowers and gifts?

Nothing has changed in your situation. Both your wife and your son need to grow up. The best thing you could do for the boy is send him away to college, and away from his mother.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 PM

no, no more flowers, no gifts, while I expect no one to have faith, I got this.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Take her to see Romeo and Juliet. When it's over say, "See what can happen when Italians interfere in their children's love lives?"

Old 01-19-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Take her to see Romeo and Juliet. When it's over say, "See what can happen when Italians interfere in their children's love lives?"
GOAT comment

Old 01-19-2014, 02:59 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkpoe View Post
you're obviously a very kind person, but i'm sure you'll eventually get why the op is very exasperating and his family situation is actually quite sad and frustrating (even for us, and the thing of it is.... We are not even living it).

lol and I'm sure my fellow posters who know me are doing the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships