Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Irish, you never really answered my question?

Irish, if you could not continue as the breadwinner would your wife
1. take over and become the primary breadwinner?
2. happily cut her frivolous spending (clothes, jewelry, vacations, restaurant meals) down by 90 or 100% ?
3. Or would she divorce you without a seconds though and "take everything that you still owned"?

It might be a good topic to discuss at your next therapy session.
These are not relevant questions for him. It's actually not something they have ever even considered. His one reaction ("Who would hire ...?") proves that.

They aren't interested in reality anyway. "Break it down for her?" WHY would she ever sit still for a lesson on how much a vacation condo in Chicago costs?

It's all about denial and avoidance. Money soothes a LOT of pain.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:26 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Irish, you never really answered my question?

Irish, if you could not continue as the breadwinner would your wife
1. take over and become the primary breadwinner?
2. happily cut her frivolous spending (clothes, jewelry, vacations, restaurant meals) down by 90 or 100% ?
3. Or would she divorce you without a seconds though and "take everything that you still owned"?

It might be a good topic to discuss at your next therapy session.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
1) No
2) No
3) I honestly don't know
Thank you for answering my questions. One of the reasons that I pushed you to answer was not only had something like this (severe illness or disability totally derailing future plans) happened us it also happened to several of our friends. It really seemed like an issue that you had never considered.

At least you know where you stand with your wife and marriage if someone unexpected comes up. I suggest that you talk to your insurance agent and make sure that you have an enormous amount of disability insurance coverage and a lot of long term care coverage. Of course, IMHO, having a spouse that is a true adult life partner is better but with insurance at least you know that you probably wouldn't end up living on the street or in a homeless shelter if a real disaster struck.

It just occurred to me that I never asked you what you would do if a health disaster hit your spouse? I remember when my aunt had a massive stroke and was bedridden, almost totally non-verbal but mentally alert and completely dependent on the care of her spouse & children, in her home, for the last ten or twelve years of her life. You keep saying how much you love your wife (albeit annoyed by her childish ways and expensive habits) but that situation can happen as well. Would you still love your wife as much as you love her now if she was in a wheelchair, or burned in a kitchen fire, has early onset dementia or disfigured in a car accident? What if your spouse needed to go on a medication that caused massive weight gain as a side effect? Or are you a "fair weather" spouse as well? Just something for you to think about.

Irish, when you open up your life to others on C-D be prepared for posters to ask you to consider some difficult issues. Life is not always high paying jobs, international vacations, fancy clothes and expensive restaurants. Heck, for the majority of people life is non of those things.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-30-2014 at 05:52 AM..

Old 05-30-2014, 08:07 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Irish, are you still considering moving to a lower COL area? Does your wife have any clue what your actual financial situation is? Does she ever even see the bills? These threads don't exactly line up with your wife's desire for a shopping condo in Chicago.

Cheaper places to live in SoCal

Cheaper areas of Chicago to live in

Cheaper areas to live in

Moving to Baton Rouge.

Moving to NO possibly

Moving to North Carolina possibly

Good Idea to move to Austin

Is moving to Madison a good idea

where to move : Southern US vs the rest of the US

Old 05-30-2014, 09:14 AM

818 posts, read 856,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Irish, are you still considering moving to a lower COL area? Does your wife have any clue what your actual financial situation is? Does she ever even see the bills? These threads don't exactly line up with your wife's desire for a shopping condo in Chicago.

Cheaper places to live in SoCal

Cheaper areas of Chicago to live in

Cheaper areas to live in

Moving to Baton Rouge.

Moving to NO possibly

Moving to North Carolina possibly

Good Idea to move to Austin

Is moving to Madison a good idea

where to move : Southern US vs the rest of the US

we just had the itch to move out of the suburbs at the time I made those threads and just wanted to see what I could get w/o breaking the bank

Old 05-30-2014, 09:19 AM

818 posts, read 856,822 times
Well, she said she wouldn’t work or consider going to CC as she is a “ devoted housewife" and those 2 would take time away from her " housewife duties"

Old 05-30-2014, 09:54 AM

159 posts, read 292,064 times
Quote:
Let me ask you this, and please don't read this in a snobbish tone, but who would hire a women with no college background and who hasn't worked in over a decade? Go back to waitressing?

My mom did not have a college degree, did not have any work experience other than teenage jobs and she went back to work after being a SAHM for 20 years. She is full time at our local library, great job, decent pay, great benefits. It's possible. Actually alot of moms are in the same boat due to divorce, deaths, boredom, etc.
And did you really think you could ask a bunch of women that question without getting flack for it? I can see that you probably meant it as though you genuinely don't know, but my husband would've gotten a major talking to for that one, ha.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Well, she said she wouldn’t work or consider going to CC as she is a “ devoted housewife" and those 2 would take time away from her " housewife duties"

Well yeah, she's had the perfect setup all these years. Why would she want to work?

Sorry, I am just now chiming in on this.. I tried to read all the responses but this thread is LONG so I've only seen bits and pieces.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:14 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times
I think people need to lay off on the fact that wife doesn't and prefers not to work in the future. So the hell what? She doesn't need to, Irish is ok with it, and really doesn't factor into the fact that she hates the GF. Pfffffftttttt... it doesn't matter here. Now, if it did bother Irish, then he can start a new thread about it.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I think people need to lay off on the fact that wife doesn't and prefers not to work in the future. So the hell what? She doesn't need to, Irish is ok with it, and really doesn't factor into the fact that she hates the GF. Pfffffftttttt... it doesn't matter here. Now, if it did bother Irish, then he can start a new thread about it.

She doesn't and prefers not to work.... but she sure expects to shop whenever she wants and get a new condo? Hell no. And I'm a woman. ha. The husband provides and takes vacations, buys "nice" things, but that is just ridiculous. Unless, irishman would prefer to just accept and let her be that way... then that's their choice.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:21 AM

And this thread has not been about the g/f in quite a while, ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.