U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM

6,095 posts, read 7,194,256 times

Advertisements

What is up with meetup groups where organizers and members do not show last names on profiles even to members?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 PM

4,126 posts, read 13,236,682 times
I think it's a safety issue, anyone can see the first names of the organizers, why advertise their last names, it doesn't bother me - eventually the names may come out but if they never do, that's OK by me too

Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I think it's a safety issue
I feel the opposite.

On the professional meetup groups I go to most people put both names.

On Eventbrite, people put their full name on the RSVP.

On the social meetup groups, I noticed many of the organizers including men only put up their first name.

I think it is somewhat creepy to be going places with people I don't know and not know who I am meeting there, especially at night.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,095,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I feel the opposite.

On the social meetup groups, I noticed many of the organizers including men only put up their first name.

I think it is somewhat creepy to be going places with people I don't know and not know who I am meeting there, especially at night.
I am with you. I always wonder what people are hiding and what their true motives are in they aren't willing to use their full name.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 AM

4,126 posts, read 13,236,682 times
I dont think anyone is necessarily hiding anything, I just think ppl have to be careful these days w/ stalkers (cyberstalkers included) etc - after meeting someone a few times, you generally get a feel for them and feel more relaxed etc - jmo

It's the same way on Facebook, there's a ton of obvious fake names which is fine if someone wants to remain anonymous for whatever reason, some ppl are just more private than others - if they're just there to cause trouble, that's not OK though (same w/ anon. trollers here or anywhere else)

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 01-20-2014 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: added comment

Old 01-20-2014, 11:05 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,470,021 times
I would not want any random person who either a) met me at a Meet-up group or b) saw my profile on Meet-Up to be able to google me.

So I am pleased they do not require last names.

And if they did, I would use a fake one.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 AM

12,544 posts, read 12,433,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I feel the opposite.

So then don't go.

But hey, why don't you put your name on your C-D profile and all your other online profiles? This way your employers can track you and see what you are doing that has nothing to do with your job, whether you are part of a singles group, what your religion is, what your politics are, whether you are trying to lose weight, whether you are seeking support for grief or mental illness, and whether you have gone on wine tours and OMG, might have a few pictures of yourself drinking wine with friends. Make your FB profile completely public so anyone can Google you at any time and learn all about you, for any reason they want.

Also, if you are afraid of strangers in groups, I suggest that you stay out of malls, restaurants, movie theaters, grocery stores, museums, historic sites, churches, hospitals, libraries, gyms, parks, schools, and new places of employment. In fact, you might look into developing a nice case of agoraphobia and just stay by yourself in a cabin, because crime happens everywhere, every day, and there is nothing to stop any idiot with a gun from opening fire--including at a meet-up of "professionals" who are there to network.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:12 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,898,233 times
I'm sure it's for safety reasons.

Also, some Meetup groups get the reputation as being a good way to pick up women. I know I've attended a few where some of the attendees were acting like we were at a Swingers party rather than a wine tasting. Probably not a good idea to let just anyone see everyone's last name!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
So then don't go.

But hey, why don't you put your name on your C-D profile and all your other online profiles? This way your employers can track you and see what you are doing that has nothing to do with your job, whether you are part of a singles group, what your religion is, what your politics are, whether you are trying to lose weight, whether you are seeking support for grief or mental illness, and whether you have gone on wine tours and OMG, might have a few pictures of yourself drinking wine with friends. Make your FB profile completely public so anyone can Google you at any time and learn all about you, for any reason they want.

Well because, I wouldn't put Meetup in the same category as city-data or any forum that is strictly sharing ONLINE advice, where most likely most of the people (other than a real estate agent here or there) will only connect or need to connect via the internet.

The Meetup group is just that, meeting in person.

There are also settings within meetup for levels of privacy, everything from completely hidden from other meetup groups to completely public.

With something personal like a support group, I would agree it is better for people to hide their names, but I still think the leaders should fully reveal who they are. Wouldn't you want to know if the leader of a support group was truly qualified to lead such a group?

Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 PM

18,254 posts, read 23,343,516 times
a meet up online group is a different world, than work or event planning

years ago, when aol was popular, along with the state chatrooms,
there was some meet ups, and even back then,,no one used their last names,,, many used their online screen names and that was it
felt more anonymous, and adventurous.. no fear or less concern of someone stalking you, based on a name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships