U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 PM

6,105 posts, read 7,238,760 times

Advertisements

I think he has an off-the-cuff blunt sense of humor, very lacking in political correctness to the point of risking losing his license when he makes a similar joke to the right person and was trying to bond with you in a strange way, my wife is Italian, you're Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 07:56 PM

5,678 posts, read 5,913,534 times
I think you did the right thing. He is a jerk and that is not your problem.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:45 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,977,630 times
That's terrible, but I think you did well not saying anything.

When I got married (I'm middle eastern, my husband is American), my mom put up a picture of my husband and I together (I think on FB), and someone actually commented something to the extent of "what a shame one of our girls married an American" or something. My mom was pretty annoyed with the comment (as was I) and just removed him from her friends list.

Point is, people can be jerks.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,714,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Should I have said something?
I would have said, "Is this a problem for you?" or "I sense this is a problem for you."

But everyone thinks of the right thing they coulda, woulda, shoulda said after the fact.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,040,880 times
Quote:
My job requires me to talk to attorneys on the phone all of the time. I got married in September & changed my name. I was speaking with an attorney this morning when he commented on my name change. He said he doesn't care for my new name, and prefers a 'nice Italian name' (my maiden name is Italian). He also asked me what the nationality of my new name is, (it sounds Native American, but it's German) and when he said it sounds Native American, he sounded disgusted. I decided to be the bigger person, and remained professional, while not saying anything. Now I'm wishing I had given him a piece of my mind. Who does he think he is?? (he also felt the need to tell me that his wife is Italian, & that he is Jewish). I've noticed that a lot of attorney's will talk about last names, and will ask what nationality my married name is, but they are usually at least nice about it & will comment on how unique it is.

Despite what he said to you being rude, I think I would remain professional and drop it. Now if the same guy keeps doing this to you, then I would say something.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:32 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,391,413 times
I'm glad I didn't say anything, either. I have some ongoing cases with him, and I'm sure more cases will come up with him. I'm fine with discussing the name, and it's uniqueness, but I'm not cool with someone being downright disrespectful.

I guess it's bound to happen to everyone at some point. There are just some real jerks in this world.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,776,689 times
Forget the situation and don't spend too much time thinking about that kind of person, some people think they are better for being Jew or Italian or whatever, but their problem is so big that they are showing how ridicolous they are.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:57 AM

1,843 posts, read 1,938,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You did the right thing. You will never regret taking the high road. Now that you know he's a jerk, you can file him in your "jerk" drawer.
Absolutely. At work you want to be professional even if others are not. Who knows when or where you are going to meet or need or work with this other person and it's always, always, always good not to burn any bridges, not to antagonize people and keep everything nice and professionally, no matter what. Sometimes is hard but it's for your own benefit.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:24 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,156,672 times
Quote:
My job requires me to talk to attorneys on the phone all of the time. I got married in September & changed my name. I was speaking with an attorney this morning when he commented on my name change. He said he doesn't care for my new name, and prefers a 'nice Italian name' (my maiden name is Italian). He also asked me what the nationality of my new name is, (it sounds Native American, but it's German) and when he said it sounds Native American, he sounded disgusted. I decided to be the bigger person, and remained professional, while not saying anything. Now I'm wishing I had given him a piece of my mind. Who does he think he is?? (he also felt the need to tell me that his wife is Italian, & that he is Jewish). I've noticed that a lot of attorney's will talk about last names, and will ask what nationality my married name is, but they are usually at least nice about it & will comment on how unique it is.

I'm curious how he "sounded disgusted". I'm pretty sure that was YOUR imagination.

It's a simple matter to just laugh it off when he said he prefers a nice Italian name since his wife is Italian.

Like "Oh, sorry hahahahaha". Or "Hey then why didn't you fix me up with your brother or son, then". Or some other silly answer.

Are you ACTUALLY from Jersey? Sounds pretty typical humor wise. That wouldn't have bothered me in the least, and I'm from Philly AND NJ.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,391,413 times
Yes, I have lived in NJ all of my life. Why does that matter?

You can typically tell if someone is disappointed, or just interested, by the sound of their tone. How are you sure it was my imagination? I did say in my original post he outright told me he didn't care for my name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships