Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,207 times

Advertisements

Well, here goes. I haven't been in therapy for awhile since things are doing fine. Then out of the blue today my control-freak mother calls and says that a maid or cleaning lady is coming to my house next week. When I explain that I don't need "maid service" they clamor that their names are on the deed, it's their house too, blah blah blah. Granted my interiors may never make it to Better Homes and gardens magazines front cover. But my husband and I do a pretty good job of keeping a 2 bedroom, 2 bath townhouse looking clean with three furbabies running around (2 cats, 1 dog, and the dog is not inside all the time, except late at night, when we started getting colder than normal temps) Yes, their names are on the deed, but so is mine and my husband and I pay them the mortgage every month. On time. We are model tenants. But this tyranny is getting old. It is getting to the point where my husband and I are considering moving. This home is probably 12 years from being paid off entirely. But I digress a little. ..
A CLEANING LADY????? I thought only rich people had those...Every time I am on the phone with one of them all I here about is I need to lose weight, I never clean the house worth a $hit, I'm on medications I shouldn't be on (I could go on and on but I think whoever is reading this gets it by now)
The bottom line is WHAT BUSINESS DO THEY HAVE HIRING A CLEANING LADY????? it's all an act of tyrrany here, I have seen this time and time again
I'm about at the point where I wonder if I should talk to a law enforcement official and see if I can't get some legal advice here. If not I could locate a realtor and ask about what the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords are on paper...
is there a mature adult way to handle this????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
So your parents own the house and your are renting? Your easy solution is to get out of there. Why subject yourself to this ? Go rent a house somewhere else.

Your parents aren't going to change so you have to decide if you want to continue on this way or stop it. You stop it by moving.

You do have rights as a tenant. The fact that the landlords are your parents does not matter.

Google " Georgia Landlord Tenant Handbook".

It will answer most of your questions about renting , whether from family or not..

Old 01-23-2014, 09:29 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
You are on the deed, also - as a part owner? If so, don't move - just don't allow a cleaning woman access if you don't want one, and change the locks.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
You are on the deed, also - as a part owner? If so, don't move - just don't allow a cleaning woman access if you don't want one, and change the locks.
There. This is all you need to do.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
There it is.

However, in your post you first say you are on the deed. Then you say you are their tenants. Which is it? Are you part-owner or a tenant? If you're a tenant, they have every right to expect you to keep their home clean and sanitary. They don't have the right to send you a cleaning lady.

BTW, what is the big deal? I would LOVE if someone sent me a cleaning lady 2 or 3 times a week at their expense!!! Why complain about it?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Just accept it.....

Years ago, my husband and I (and the kids) went away for a very quick 3 days.

Imagine my surprise when I returned - my sister had come over and cleaned the house from top to bottom. I was upset (just like you are) but now I'm older and wiser and realize she was doing it like a gift - thought she was helping a mom with 2 kids, a very full time job, volunteer work and all that.

She couldn't give me money so she gave me that treat! And it was - after I calmed down, I realized what a nice thing she did.

Initially, I felt like you did - but just accept it - and enjoy the benefit.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
I would not want you for tenants. I think moving is your best option. You obviously don't appreciate your parents as landlords. If you are slovenly, and on pain meds, etc., not the ideal tenant.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,207 times
The mortgage is $426 per month and hubby and I pay $350 of it at the same time every month. His name is not on the deed BTW. I asked him one time after we got married did you want your name on the deed and he said no. But we still are in this together.

Oh, and based on my two previous apartment rentings in the past, I was described as an "ideal" tenant. The managers were sad to see me go. So there you have it.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,549 times
Jump at the offer! A second set of hands to clean? I'm sure you could find something for her to do.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Well, here goes. I haven't been in therapy for awhile since things are doing fine. Then out of the blue today my control-freak mother calls and says that a maid or cleaning lady is coming to my house next week. When I explain that I don't need "maid service" they clamor that their names are on the deed, it's their house too, blah blah blah. Granted my interiors may never make it to Better Homes and gardens magazines front cover. But my husband and I do a pretty good job of keeping a 2 bedroom, 2 bath townhouse looking clean with three furbabies running around (2 cats, 1 dog, and the dog is not inside all the time, except late at night, when we started getting colder than normal temps) Yes, their names are on the deed, but so is mine and my husband and I pay them the mortgage every month. On time. We are model tenants. But this tyranny is getting old. It is getting to the point where my husband and I are considering moving. This home is probably 12 years from being paid off entirely. But I digress a little. ..
A CLEANING LADY????? I thought only rich people had those...Every time I am on the phone with one of them all I here about is I need to lose weight, I never clean the house worth a $hit, I'm on medications I shouldn't be on (I could go on and on but I think whoever is reading this gets it by now)
The bottom line is WHAT BUSINESS DO THEY HAVE HIRING A CLEANING LADY????? it's all an act of tyrrany here, I have seen this time and time again
I'm about at the point where I wonder if I should talk to a law enforcement official and see if I can't get some legal advice here. If not I could locate a realtor and ask about what the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords are on paper...
is there a mature adult way to handle this????
Based upon the evidence I am actually going to side with your parents.

Your post reads like an episode of Hoarders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships