Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 01:48 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

I'm been searching and searching for a bumper sticker that says: Ban Marriage, Imprison All Violators!

Yup, and the Gay ones too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 04:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's hilarious. You're going to miss out on a very well written and informative article.

I'm confident others will read it. That's all that matters.
Sorry. I trust McAfee over you. I wouldn't put any stock in an article from a risky site anyway. Reputable sites don't get flagged by McAfee.

There's nothing hilarious about the types of issues you can end up with when you visit sites like this one. I have McAfee for a reason. BTDT not doing it again. Be my quest if you don't care about your computer and your privacy.

As to promise keepers, it's something that people choose to join. I'm not concerned with organizations that people freely choose to join as they can freely choose to leave them if they change their minds. It's their life and their choice. I see nothing wrong with being willing to commit yourself to religious concepts and your wife. I'm not sure why you do.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Sorry. I trust McAfee over you. I wouldn't put any stock in an article from a risky site anyway. Reputable sites don't get flagged by McAfee.

There's nothing hilarious about the types of issues you can end up with when you visit sites like this one. I have McAfee for a reason. BTDT not doing it again. Be my quest if you don't care about your computer and your privacy.

As to promise keepers, it's something that people choose to join. I'm not concerned with organizations that people freely choose to join as they can freely choose to leave them if they change their minds. It's their life and their choice. I see nothing wrong with being willing to commit yourself to religious concepts and your wife. I'm not sure why you do.
McAfee is a joke.

I went to the site. Not the best article in terms of grammar and mechanics, but it does discuss the cultlike atmosphere, such as the men agreeing to allow other men, including any stranger there, to ask them any question about their faith, marriage, and finances. That is what cults do.

Oh, and no malware. Some religious whackadoo group probably just report-bombed the site to McAfee, expressly to get it flagged so people wouldn't read it. Probably the PKers themselves.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't use programs like McAfee because they are cheap bloatware that spams your system just like malware. I use a secure system with built in protection and this link is perfectly safe. I have not had a virus in years.

To answer mainebman, yes, I would think a sticker that said "I love my gay wife" would be a bit odd also. I think it is because an intrinsic part of being in a committed relationship is the foundation of loving that person. It just seems odd that some people feel the need to proclaim such a personal matter publicly on a sign, everywhere they go. This is why I thought there might be some ulterior motive, group, or message behind the stickers.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:42 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Creepy place. Religion is fine, but why do people feel that they have to spread their personal beliefs around to others who are not interested? Is there any one alive who doesn't know about the whole jesus thing? Choose what you will, but it makes you look creepy when you are constantly trying to recruit followers for your flock (sic.)

BTW, my favorite bumper sticker: Cartoon **** On Ex-Wife Oval Decal by whitetiger_llc

Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
More hatred and intolerance from the left. Always worrying and sounding off about things that don't remotely have an effect on them.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Wow.

First of all, let me just say that I think most bumper stickers, including the "I love my wife" bumper stickers, are sort of tacky. If my husband put an "I love my wife" bumper sticker on his massive pickup truck, I would wonder if he had lost his mind.

Secondly, I have heard of Promise Keepers, but I am unfamiliar with them. I don't know anyone involved with that ministry.

What I DO know is that my husband and I are Christians and we have what could be called a "traditional Christian marriage," with the maxims "Love your wife as Christ loved the Church" and "Wives, be submissive to your husbands" as two maxims that we live by. ONE DOESN'T WORK WITHOUT THE OTHER, by the way. There is no way I would EVER be submissive to a man who didn't love me with a love as sacrificial as Christ's love for the Church.

This is how it works in our family:

My husband puts my best interests first. And he truly does. He is a WONDERFUL husband who would protect me with his very life. Frankly, he spoils me a little, and I am very grateful for that. He graciously caters to my whims. He has no issues whatsoever with my personal freedom, and respects my intellect, my opinions, and my preferences. He is a terrific provider for our family, and a couple of years ago offered me the opportunity to quit working, which I gladly took him up on! Even my male co workers were jealous of that! We decided on this route because of his job schedule, which gives him two weeks off every three weeks (and sometimes two weeks on and two weeks off) and we wanted to be able to spend more time together when he was home. It's been FANTASTIC.

In "exchange," I keep our home immaculate and very pleasant. I cook good meals for him. He has never asked me or expected me to bring him his coffee or whatever, but I gladly do it out of appreciation (he brings me mine as well if he's up and passing through the kitchen). I keep myself as attractive and healthy as possible, for both of us - but I cater to his preferences a lot of times. For instance, I know how he likes my hair so I usually style it that way. I know he loves well manicured hands and feet, so I make sure those are impeccable. I know what sorts of sheets he loves on the bed. I know how he loves very clean floors so I keep them spotless. I know he loves certain candle scents so I make sure those are lit for him. Most importantly, I allow him to make the final decision on many things. It's not that he doesn't ask for my opinion or advice - he does so often. We discuss things, but in the end, if there's not an agreement, I allow him to make the final decision. (I can't actually think of any BIG thing we haven't agreed upon.) For instance, we are going to sell our house this year, and I am going to let him choose which town and state we move to, out of the three areas we've narrowed it down to.

My husband is gone a lot with work, and when he's gone I basically do whatever I want to do. When he's home, I cater to him and his wants. I make him as comfortable as possible. These dynamics work very well for us. I wouldn't have it any other way in fact. And I HAVE had it another way, by the way - I prefer these dynamics.

My husband has never abused me in any sort of way - I can't even imagine that scenario. He CHERISHES me and I return that favor. We trust each other completely.

Sorry for the length of this, but I wanted to give a good picture of the traditional Man as Leader of the Household and Submissive Wife thing. Like I said, I don't have any idea what Promise Keepers teaches, but I do have some idea of how a traditional marriage with the husband assuming the role of head of the household works - and personally I love it.

To each his own.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 AM

914 posts, read 943,000 times
Hummm...those don't bother me as much as the ones "My kid is an Honor Student at blah blah" WHO CARES???

I like the ones "My kid BEAT UP your honor roll student" because it basically says the same thing I say about it....WHO CARES?

Now, that said, I have four bumper decorations on my car...three are magnetic...and the sticker is in the back window.

I have an Obama-Biden sticker and an Obama-Biden magnet.
I have a "Dog Mom" magnet

And my favorite one is a magnet....
It has a paw print on it and it says

"My Best Friend Is A Bltch"

Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 AM

914 posts, read 943,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow.

First of all, let me just say that I think most bumper stickers, including the "I love my wife" bumper stickers, are sort of tacky. If my husband put an "I love my wife" bumper sticker on his massive pickup truck, I would wonder if he had lost his mind.

Secondly, I have heard of Promise Keepers, but I am unfamiliar with them. I don't know anyone involved with that ministry.

What I DO know is that my husband and I are Christians and we have what could be called a "traditional Christian marriage," with the maxims "Love your wife as Christ loved the Church" and "Wives, be submissive to your husbands" as two maxims that we live by. ONE DOESN'T WORK WITHOUT THE OTHER, by the way. There is no way I would EVER be submissive to a man who didn't love me with a love as sacrificial as Christ's love for the Church.

This is how it works in our family:

My husband puts my best interests first. And he truly does. He is a WONDERFUL husband who would protect me with his very life. Frankly, he spoils me a little, and I am very grateful for that. He graciously caters to my whims. He has no issues whatsoever with my personal freedom, and respects my intellect, my opinions, and my preferences. He is a terrific provider for our family, and a couple of years ago offered me the opportunity to quit working, which I gladly took him up on! Even my male co workers were jealous of that! We decided on this route because of his job schedule, which gives him two weeks off every three weeks (and sometimes two weeks on and two weeks off) and we wanted to be able to spend more time together when he was home. It's been FANTASTIC.

In "exchange," I keep our home immaculate and very pleasant. I cook good meals for him. He has never asked me or expected me to bring him his coffee or whatever, but I gladly do it out of appreciation (he brings me mine as well if he's up and passing through the kitchen). I keep myself as attractive and healthy as possible, for both of us - but I cater to his preferences a lot of times. For instance, I know how he likes my hair so I usually style it that way. I know he loves well manicured hands and feet, so I make sure those are impeccable. I know what sorts of sheets he loves on the bed. I know how he loves very clean floors so I keep them spotless. I know he loves certain candle scents so I make sure those are lit for him. Most importantly, I allow him to make the final decision on many things. It's not that he doesn't ask for my opinion or advice - he does so often. We discuss things, but in the end, if there's not an agreement, I allow him to make the final decision. (I can't actually think of any BIG thing we haven't agreed upon.) For instance, we are going to sell our house this year, and I am going to let him choose which town and state we move to, out of the three areas we've narrowed it down to.

My husband is gone a lot with work, and when he's gone I basically do whatever I want to do. When he's home, I cater to him and his wants. I make him as comfortable as possible. These dynamics work very well for us. I wouldn't have it any other way in fact. And I HAVE had it another way, by the way - I prefer these dynamics.

My husband has never abused me in any sort of way - I can't even imagine that scenario. He CHERISHES me and I return that favor. We trust each other completely.

Sorry for the length of this, but I wanted to give a good picture of the traditional Man as Leader of the Household and Submissive Wife thing. Like I said, I don't have any idea what Promise Keepers teaches, but I do have some idea of how a traditional marriage with the husband assuming the role of head of the household works - and personally I love it.

To each his own.
Hummm...sounds like you have the perfect situation...one many would envy, myself included.
The problem is...in my experience, anyway...Man wants to be leader of the household...but does NOT do the other part - as your husband apparently does.

One of the reasons I am still single at 42 is because there is NO WAY IN HELL that I am surrendering my opinions, intellect, or freedom to any man. Not happening.

Then, too, now, I am NOT Christian. At least, not in the traditional sense. I am Agnostic. I do not know that there IS a God or if there isn't. As such, I can't say that I believe Jesus to be the Son of God...after all, to say that would be to say that there IS a God...and I'm not certain there is. I just see way too much pain, hurt, suffering and unnecessary meanness, cruelty, and totally avoidable deprivations to make me believe unequivocally in God. Just me, I guess.

But what I DO believe is that Jesus...was a cool guy!
Even if he was not the son of God...even if he wasn't even a real guy...he was still a cool guy! And I believe that if more people ACTUALLY TRIED to live by his teachings and life example - which are in the Bible...we'd have a much better world. Even if Jesus wasn't a real guy...the teachings and the life example have value and meaning for me.

So I think we share a lot of the same beliefs...as far as how we should be living our lives - and living our lives for others. But I really DO have to ask...is it REALLY and TOTALLY true that your husband does not squash your opinions, dismiss your intellect, or impose on your personal freedom?

Because if so, I think you really found a one in a million guy!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Actually, no. You don't have the right to call someone else sick and twisted without actually showing them to be sick and twisted. Please feel free to make your case.... Exactly what is sick and twisted about someone committing their life to their God and family? While I personally don't care to go to this extreme, I don't see what harm is being done that one would call this "sick and twisted" but I'm sure you'll explain why it is so. Or are you just calling people names you don't like?

I have no idea what an old family life forumer is so I'm guessing no. I just happen to believe that everyone gets to choose their own path in life as long as they aren't harming someone else in the process. I don't see promise keepers or men who put bumper stickers on their cars declaring they love their lives harming anyone. Both fall into the category of I hope life works out the way you want it to for me. I see no harm in either and I see nothing sick or twisted.
No one is calling them sick and twisted bc they love God and family. It is bc they are about male domination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships