Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,184,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I would have busted his nose, then said Nah, not offended anymore!
He was a contractor who had done work for him.. I could find so many things wrong.I could really have fun with this guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,389 times
People who get easily offended really annoy me. I don't enjoy being around people who I feel like I have to walk on eggshells around all the time.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
People who get easily offended really annoy me. I don't enjoy being around people who I feel like I have to walk on eggshells around all the time.
Try working with women like that!
I'm on 3rd shift and beg to work alone on some nights!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:03 PM

914 posts, read 942,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Anyone know anyone like this?

I know that the term "offensive" is subjective, and I'm not arguing for expression without consideration for the people around me. The reason that I started this thread is that I know a couple of people that seem to consider it their duty to let everyone else know what is and is not funny, what people should and shouldn't say, and so on. To me (and I'll acknowledge that I am hard to offend), these people are what one of my friends calls "majoring in minors". I posted in another thread about how someone I know corrected a teacher and asked that he say "police-person" instead of "policeman". She's also gotten on her soapbox numerous times about one thing or the other. Another person I know chides other people for laughing at things that he doesn't find funny. It gets to the point where these people come off as intolerant and controlling, instead of virtuous like they believe they are.

Interesting thing is that these two dated briefly years ago. I think I understand the attraction.
As The Dice Man...Andrew Dice Clay was wont to say:

JOKE 'em if they can't take a f*ck!!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
OP what you have described sounds more like self righteousness than someone who is easily offended. At least that is my opinion. Do I know people like this? Ohhhh yes. My SIL is constantly correcting someone about something. Most people just backdown because if you disagree she gets louder and hostile. I think people just give up and let her ramble on.

I have a friend that is easily offended. I have known her for many many years. A sweet woman in general but she will blame feeling offended on being sensitive but its because she has emotional problems and is insecure. A simple conversation can be spun around in her head where she analyzes every aspect thinking that someone was putting her down. She always seems to have some story where a co-worker, neighbor, friend, check-out clerk....has done or said something to her where she was offended.
You're probably right, self-righteousness is probably what I meant. Just to give you another example, I just remembered how she refused to dance to Bananarama's "Venus" because it "glorified fake gods". (Yet this same girl once said that she wanted to date a black guy so that people wouldn't think she was racist. What?)

Some of these people think that just because they don't like something, that the rest of us should be offended, and if we aren't, then we must be too stupid to realize that we should be offended. There was this one feminist article where someone got all butthurt about a picture on the side of a bottle of A-1 steak sauce. I consider myself a feminist, and I don't have time to care about that crap. LOL.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:10 PM

32 posts, read 35,833 times
Maybe, they are doing it on purpose b/c they can. They're being bossy so you should probably do it back to them and give them a taste of there own medicine. Other than that just tell them about their selves.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:31 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Anyone know anyone like this?

I know that the term "offensive" is subjective, and I'm not arguing for expression without consideration for the people around me. The reason that I started this thread is that I know a couple of people that seem to consider it their duty to let everyone else know what is and is not funny, what people should and shouldn't say, and so on. To me (and I'll acknowledge that I am hard to offend), these people are what one of my friends calls "majoring in minors". I posted in another thread about how someone I know corrected a teacher and asked that he say "police-person" instead of "policeman". She's also gotten on her soapbox numerous times about one thing or the other. Another person I know chides other people for laughing at things that he doesn't find funny. It gets to the point where these people come off as intolerant and controlling, instead of virtuous like they believe they are.

Interesting thing is that these two dated briefly years ago. I think I understand the attraction.
Some people just love, I mean love to get offended....

Nothing fuels the ego for those types than their pompous blowhard "offended" ways..

It's a form of control, if you ask me.

This is of course directed at those who are ridiculous with their threshold for getting offended.

I'm not talking about what the majority of people would consider normal behavior.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:00 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,307 times
If someone gets easily offended, I make sure to continue offending them more until they get so offended that the leave and the party can continue.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:14 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,023 times
I had this annoying acquaintance who was offended whenever I would talk in different dialects. New York, British, Middle eastern, southern, valley girl, ect. (I have a theater background.) She called me racist. I asked her if she actually had any friends who are black, Iranian, from NY, as I have several we can call on the phone right now and ask them if they think I'm being racist??!!!

When I told her my laptop pulled a Whitney Houston, she actually said, "Don't you think it's a bit soon to be making fun of such a tragedy?"

Um, Whitney has been dead for what, two years now?!! I told her weren't compatible to hang out anymore.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:20 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I had this annoying acquaintance who was offended whenever I would talk in different dialects. New York, British, Middle eastern, southern, valley girl, ect. (I have a theater background.) She called me racist. I asked her if she actually had any black or Iranian friends, as I have several we can call on the phone right now and ask them if they think I'm being racist??!!!

When I told her my laptop pulled a Whitney Houston, she actually said, "Don't you think it's a bit soon to be making fun of such a tragedy?"

Um, Whitney has been dead for what, two years now?!! I told her weren't compatible to hang out anymore.
Good point. When people bring up MJ's life, it's all good til I remind them when he hung his child out the window by her leg in that high rise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships