Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:05 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anyone like this?

I know that the term "offensive" is subjective, and I'm not arguing for expression without consideration for the people around me. The reason that I started this thread is that I know a couple of people that seem to consider it their duty to let everyone else know what is and is not funny, what people should and shouldn't say, and so on. To me (and I'll acknowledge that I am hard to offend), these people are what one of my friends calls "majoring in minors". I posted in another thread about how someone I know corrected a teacher and asked that he say "police-person" instead of "policeman". She's also gotten on her soapbox numerous times about one thing or the other. Another person I know chides other people for laughing at things that he doesn't find funny. It gets to the point where these people come off as intolerant and controlling, instead of virtuous like they believe they are.

Interesting thing is that these two dated briefly years ago. I think I understand the attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 02:11 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Eff em.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:20 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Yep, knew a whole family of them and they took offense at every little thing possible... even someone else's career choice because that person didn't follow their (bad) advice. Funny thing about them, if you took offense to something they did/say (even when it's actually legitimate)... YOU were nuts and needed to lighten up.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:44 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post

I know that the term "offensive" is subjective, and I'm not arguing for expression without consideration for the people around me. The reason that I started this thread is that I know a couple of people that seem to consider it their duty to let everyone else know what is and is not funny, what people should and shouldn't say, and so on. To me (and I'll acknowledge that I am hard to offend), these people are what one of my friends calls "majoring in minors". I posted in another thread about how someone I know corrected a teacher and asked that he say "police-person" instead of "policeman". She's also gotten on her soapbox numerous times about one thing or the other. Another person I know chides other people for laughing at things that he doesn't find funny. It gets to the point where these people come off as intolerant and controlling, instead of virtuous like they believe they are.

Interesting thing is that these two dated briefly years ago. I think I understand the attraction.
Yep, I work with a few of em'. They get told to get a life in most cases.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
lunatic fringe... i know you're out there

Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
lunatic fringe... i know you're out there
Huh?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:07 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I know one. I never say anything to her except, "Oh, I eat there a lot and I have never
gotten anything I didn't love...and Gary, too."

If there is a store, or restaurant that she will go to and be happy..I don't know what it is..no coffee is hot enough, no place clean enough.
She is offended by her neighbor's garbage cans...it doesn't stop.

But, she is so funny and loving and just great otherwise.

She says she is realizing that happiness doesn't come from outside....yeah great...
What can I say? "Well, Finally" ?
I would never...poor tormented thing...thinking happiness will come from outside....

Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Huh?
That's ok, I know where that came from!

Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:

i think its part of maturing mixed with insecurities/jealousy

doom and gloom, criticism, is being mirrored by how they feel about themselves,,,just got to spread it around-god forbid someone is happy, or feels good about aspects in their own life.

part of maturity, is respect & consideration of others, is not being competitive, is recognizing, the world doesnt always revolve around you.

I also think the doom & gloomers use this for a defense mechanism... throw mud all around see if it sticks...maybe it keep others from judging themselves as harshly as they themselves, do

Old 01-29-2014, 02:28 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
OP what you have described sounds more like self righteousness than someone who is easily offended. At least that is my opinion. Do I know people like this? Ohhhh yes. My SIL is constantly correcting someone about something. Most people just backdown because if you disagree she gets louder and hostile. I think people just give up and let her ramble on.

I have a friend that is easily offended. I have known her for many many years. A sweet woman in general but she will blame feeling offended on being sensitive but its because she has emotional problems and is insecure. A simple conversation can be spun around in her head where she analyzes every aspect thinking that someone was putting her down. She always seems to have some story where a co-worker, neighbor, friend, check-out clerk....has done or said something to her where she was offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships