Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 01:27 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times

Advertisements

I always say thank you. Whether I am reading a paper or not. It's called common courtesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 01:32 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Keep in mind, I was reading something and distracted. And, to me, holding the door is no big deal.
People have expectations that aren't met all the time. Was she over the top not to just let it go? Maybe. But judging isn't our job. Was she human and disappointed? Sounds like it.

I like to thank people, it is a nice way to connect to the world at large. We are all walking a path and sometimes we connect, sometimes we don't. Sounds like you both didn't connect as the other expected.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:02 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Quote:
Absolutely! She didn't have to give me this:
And you didn't need to say thank you. Ying yang

Old 02-06-2014, 02:49 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
For me, its help and dont expect.

However, this one time a young woman's hand was full of stuff and she wanted to open the door, umbrella, and yap on her I phone at the same time. I helped her open the door, and the reply she gave was "this creepy looking Asian guy helped me out. I am so totally messed up today ". Kind of hurt me to know that my help was hated. But anyways, listening to insults being thrown at me is a part of my daily life.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:02 PM

5,902 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Distraction is not an excuse for rudeness but her reaction was uncalled for also. Maybe she was having a bad day?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:44 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Quote:
As I, a man, was walking out of an office building, while holding a paper and reading it, a woman was right in front of me, opened the door and held the door for me (just held the door for a fraction of a second and NO hold and wait for me to walk fast and arrive at the door, since I was just right behind her).

Since I was concentrating on the paper and since I have done it (holding the door for others) thousands of times for others without any expectation or reaction in return, I didn't say anything. The woman goes "A THANK YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE!" while giving me the evil look.

Am I at fault or is she over-reacting or over-expecting?
I think a better response for her to have given you:
"You're welcome", with a little grin.

But yeah, I say thank you. I also understand that people aren't always paying attention...no biggie. Once when I was shopping with a friend and someone bumped into her she said: "Excuse you". I liked that!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
LOL!!! This reminds me of the time when my mother held open a door for a guy who only looked at her sideways and proceeded through without saying anything. "THANK YOU!!" she yelled, and she bitched to my sister-in-law about ill-mannered college kids. (You had to be there to see the humor in it.)

I always hold doors open for people, even men, and those who don't thank me are few. I figure if that's the worst thing to happen to me then I'm having a good day.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:58 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
You were both a bit rude really. You were rude not to say thank you and she was just as rude, if not more so, for drawing attention to the fact that you didn't say thank you.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:27 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Two wrongs don't make a right and although she was rude, you should be focusing on the task at hand. Multitasking while walking or driving is probably not a good idea.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:05 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
Keep in mind, I was reading something and distracted. And, to me, holding the door is no big deal.
If you had walked into someone while you were reading/walking would you have not said "Excuse Me" since you were reading and thus "distracted"?

And whether holding the door open for you is a big deal or not, she did something for you and you should have acknowledged it with a polite smile and a sincere "Thank you".

If everyone did that, this whole world would be a better place for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships