Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:36 AM

20,735 posts, read 19,939,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We knew what you meant, but it sounded funny and amused us!
heyyyy, cut a foreigner some slack.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:45 AM

8,673 posts, read 11,063,300 times
22 is young & tons of time to get out of debt. OP needs some lessons in life.

I have friends back in the days about the same age...as much as 100 grand in debt..they got out...it took a while but they work their way out.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:16 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,692,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
You've got to be kidding me. The so called "advice" that has been given by some here, only resembles toxic emotional abuse. People such as that, only know how to spew venom. Like I said, push this girl down and make her feel bad, just to boost whatever high horse image you have of yourselves. Its really sick and twisted and people like that shouldn't be allowed to post on here.

Wrong. The OP stated that she made some wrong decisions in trusting certain people. So a parallel could be drawn. . . If I was playing the devils advocate: She(my mother) is old enough to not make that mistake, such as getting involved with the type of person that she did.

Granted, my mothers situation is more desperate than the OP's.

I could just be like the majority of the people in this thread and say: Too bad mom, if you haven't learned by now, then forget you and how dare you ask your family to give you money. Its my money!

We are human and humans make mistakes all throughout their lives, and family should be the first and foremost group we should be able to go to in a time of need.
I think that you're understandably emotional about your mother's situation and are looking at the OP's situation through your own experience. You state that your mother worked all her life, trusted a bad boyfriend and is now in financial difficulities. That is not the same situation at all as the OP.

The OP is 22, has a college degree and according to a post on another thread, has gone back to college to study nursing. She is not at the end of her rope here. She just doesn't want to do what she is capable of doing to fix her own situation.

I don't think a single person who has posted on here would begrudge helping a hard-working relative they know and love out of a financial predicament brought on by being too trusting. Especially if that relative had few or no options.

Also, if the OP came back and said her credit card debt was because she was in an car accident and couldn't work for a while, or because of medical bills, or something else beyond her control, she would be getting different responses. But it sounds like she was careless and made poor decisions and now wants a handout. Life doesn't work that way and the sooner she learns that, the better.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:29 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,187,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think that you're understandably emotional about your mother's situation and are looking at the OP's situation through your own experience. You state that your mother worked all her life, trusted a bad boyfriend and is now in financial difficulities. That is not the same situation at all as the OP.

The OP is 22, has a college degree and according to a post on another thread, has gone back to college to study nursing. She is not at the end of her rope here. She just doesn't want to do what she is capable of doing to fix her own situation.

I don't think a single person who has posted on here would begrudge helping a hard-working relative they know and love out of a financial predicament brought on by being too trusting. Especially if that relative had few or no options.

Also, if the OP came back and said her credit card debt was because she was in an car accident and couldn't work for a while, or because of medical bills, or something else beyond her control, she would be getting different responses. But it sounds like she was careless and made poor decisions and now wants a handout. Life doesn't work that way and the sooner she learns that, the better.
Very good post

Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,228,615 times
jdaelectro,

If she was asking her aunt to borrow in order to avoid the extraordinary credit card fees, that would be one thing. But she isn't. She made the hint in her OP - she has no intention of paying back any of this money, she simply wants her aunt to foot the bill.

If her aunt loves her, why would she enable that?

Old 02-13-2014, 12:48 PM

88,487 posts, read 84,635,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
heyyyy, cut a foreigner some slack.
I did--I know that English isn't your first language, but believe me, your writing is a lot better than many American-born folks on this forum!

Old 02-13-2014, 12:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,322,725 times
oh-eve, You are always welcome to post. You are loved by us here.

Well anyone is welcome to post, it is an open forum. Some are just more welcome than others. LOL

Old 02-13-2014, 01:24 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,787,438 times
OP, I would ask your dad before asking the aunt. Also, you say you wouldn't be able to repay it. Why not? Surely even years down the road you could pay back a $5,000 loan with a little interest? I don't see why this amount should be a "gift." But I agree with the others, just because your aunt and her husband live comfortably (and god knows what they've had to do in their lives to get to this point), doesn't mean that they should help you get out of your bind.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:34 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,450,064 times
I think people are being too harsh, but I agree she shouldn't write the letter and needs to pay her own debt. It's only $5000. For debt that's nothing.

I'm confused. Does she already have a college degree or not? If she does, is she getting another Bachelors or a graduate degree? If she doesn't yet have a degree and is in school full time and taking it seriously, I certainly would not be kicking her out on the streets if I were her father. But I still wouldn't pay the debt. Also - where is mom?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:34 PM

54 posts, read 106,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I have been and am an aunt several times over. It was fun when the kids were little but when they grew up - not so much. I have a nephew who you remind me of - and I'd tell you what I told him - to his face. I'm sorry you're going through this - but sometimes you only learn from your own mistakes. You assume that because your aunt is "blood" she is responsible to help you out - but you need to seek out your "friends" who helped you dig yourself into this hole. She owes you nothing. If I were to receive a letter OR a phone call from a relative asking me to give them money I would not say, "aww, you poor darling, how much do you need? Would you prefer a check or cash?" After the azz reaming I think you deserve, I would hang up the phone and probably call your dad (where's your mother btw?) and ask him if he brought you up this way. People work for the things they get in the world - that's why they are working. I suggest you do the same. You are 22 - not a baby. You want people here to boost you up and feel bad for you - not tell you like it is. Sure - we've all been young and stupid, but I can tell you truthfully - the mistakes I made and cleaned up myself (all of them because I would have been too ashamed to admit to them and ask for help) are the ones that taught me the most about what I'm made of, and really give you the sense of maturity that you need to survive in the world today. Figure it out - apparently it wasn't too hard to figure out how to get yourself into the mess you're in. I guess you could always file for bankruptcy.
Wow these opinions are harsh. My adopted mom died about 5 years ago due to a gastric bypass surgery gone wrong-and its my adopted dad.

Also, my BIRTH mom is local-and SHE IS ONE OF THE PEOPLE I LENT THE MONEY TO WITH THE AGREEMENT SHE'D PAY ME BACK WITH INTEREST(HER WORDS). She hasnt made good on her promise-instead she lives off the government and spends her money on booze and cigarettes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.