Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:27 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Which one is it - exploit or DON't brag and cry for attention? You are contradicting yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:52 AM

146 posts, read 190,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I used Facebook for about 6 months or so last year but I ended shutting the entire account down.

2/3 of those "friends" you don't even see anymore (moved away, no longer speaking, not interested in their lives, random encounters). Then the rest are close friends that you're always in contact with so there is no need to use Facebook to talk to them.

I'm a very private person so if you're not in my close circle of friends, I don't want you to know what I'm doing with my life, nor do I care to know what you're doing with yours.

Every once in a while I had a random person or an ex adding me. I don't like to "rehashing the past" aspect of Facebook. Some people you don't want to ever deal with again suddenly come out of the wood-works. It's quite unpleasant. Plus, not having Facebook helps people get over their past loves more quickly!

I know some people of have 1500+ friends. This is ridiculous. They're all about numbers. Oddly enough those are the only people who have their friends list public. Truth be told, those are also the people who only talk to 1 or 2 of these so-called virtual friends.
Agree!

Old 05-22-2014, 02:45 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,066 times
Facebook is great for keeping in touch with family and friends, finding old friends...

Most of the people in my friends list who are not one or the other are connected through mutual interests, or coworkers and ex coworkers. There is no one on my Facebook friends list who I would not hang out with in real life.

Use it or don´t use it your choice. Don´t post anything too stupid or controversial or make sure your privacy settings are appropriate if you do. Whats the big deal. And unless you are a criminal or a super wierdo who cares why hide.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:42 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,871,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I don't have facebook and don't plan to. Obviously, people I know do. They seem to be "friends" with everyone they've ever known. Sometimes they friend people they don't even know who just request them, too. Are you friends with all your facebook "friends"? If not, why are you friends with them? When people you don't know ask to be friends do you ever get worried?
I had it for like five years then I deleted it a few months ago. I got fed up of popularity competitions and people trying to make out that they were successful and having a fantastic life.

The 'friends' would put up tons and tons of pictures of their daily outings, it used to make me feel very dissatisfied as I wouldn't go out that much. I thought to myself 'oh I must be very weird I don't go to restaurants that often' etc etc.

But soon realised that this was just pictures that were put up from ages ago. I got fed up of adding people I didn't know and I knew aswell that people used it to look at your goings on. I did not appreciate people knowing my every detail and movement, it got a bit ridiculous near the end with people 'checking in' to bed. I would never have 3,000 friends and would actually look at a person with that amount of friends with disgust..

I also got fed up of my sister and cousin posting pictures of their baby, it was so irritating. Their baby was not a gift of god.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowkitty27 View Post
I'm friends with a few people from college and high school but most on my list are family members. I actually just saw a page today dedicated to "friending" strangers. Weird lol. Unknown men or even friends of friends are always sending requests. I use it as a way to post pics for family or sometimes to vent.
Yes I now have twitter and most of my tweets are rants!

Old 05-22-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I used Facebook for about 6 months or so last year but I ended shutting the entire account down.

2/3 of those "friends" you don't even see anymore (moved away, no longer speaking, not interested in their lives, random encounters). Then the rest are close friends that you're always in contact with so there is no need to use Facebook to talk to them.

I'm a very private person so if you're not in my close circle of friends, I don't want you to know what I'm doing with my life, nor do I care to know what you're doing with yours.

Every once in a while I had a random person or an ex adding me. I don't like to "rehashing the past" aspect of Facebook. Some people you don't want to ever deal with again suddenly come out of the wood-works. It's quite unpleasant. Plus, not having Facebook helps people get over their past loves more quickly!

I know some people of have 1500+ friends. This is ridiculous. They're all about numbers. Oddly enough those are the only people who have their friends list public. Truth be told, those are also the people who only talk to 1 or 2 of these so-called virtual friends.
I have an experience of this. My dad has been married twice so I have half siblings, but his ex-wife we have to see her for baptisms and stuff which we can tolerate. But she tried to add me on Facebook, then she tried to add my dad. She has all my cousins and aunts/uncles and it is actually really irritating me, she can't seem to let go of our family - my dad split up with her 20 years ago.

My sister will always come out and tell us stuff about what her mum seen on Facebook (so she knows about my family affairs before us) and I feel like saying 'thats none of your mums business she's not part of our family' but never do. Its soo soo annoying that she's sticking her nose into my family after all these years.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Facebook has this stupid thing now called "Throwback Thursday"

Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
Many people that have trouble making friends in real life or worry that people know too many things about them don't like FB. That is fine. It is not for everyone, but I don't really get why so many people have a problem with others liking it. If you like it, use it. If you don't like it, don't use it. To me it is that simple.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:16 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,214,610 times
You can make it work for you and how you like it. Add who you like, don't add who you don't like, hide who you don't want to follow.

I use it for relatives, especially the younger ones, and work associates that are in different parts of the world. It's a good way to keep in touch with colleagues out of state, and then when I need support or help in a project they are there for input. It works for me.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:51 PM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I don't get the hostility towards FB. It's just a tool like e-mail. I have things I hate about e-mail, I have things I hate about the phone too. I just make adjustments to my settings and move on. If you don't feel you get anything from FB that's fine, just don't participate in it. But I don't get where people think it's bragging to say you went out for dinner/drinks with friends, or posting a pic of your baby.

I only friend my actual real life friends and family (I have a big family). I live far from most of them and I certainly enjoy when they send me pics of their new house or car because I live far away and may never get to see it in real life. This is just how we quickly share news without making 20 calls or sending 40 e-mails. I would find it odd if all my cousins sent me e-mails with pics of their every adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships