U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 09:38 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,052,265 times

Advertisements

I have several friends in my life like that and honestly, it's frustrating. I personally am someone who calls when she says she will call, texts when she says she will text, arrives when she says she will arrive, and overall, am a person of my word. I take true friendships very seriously. I make time for those people and things that are a priority. IT's as simple as that.

I do understand that things can happen from time to time. I get that. But if someone who is a friend to you consistently demonstrates this behavior, then perhaps you either need to have an honest discussion, and or redefine your definition of "friendship" with that person.

Last edited by erjunkee; 02-14-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:01 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,259,795 times
I have one that's worse...I had a friend that would call me and bug me to go out to a club. Most of the time he'd get there two or more hours later than agreed upon and a few times not at all (said he fell asleep). Dammit! Don't bug me to do something then not show...how rude! He was always surprised by my annoyance at him.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 AM

254 posts, read 307,155 times
I have a friend who (even when she calls me) always does that. I don't take it personally with her, because I realized some time ago its just a verbal tic. She doesn't mean anything by it, and I don't go through my day expecting a call from her

Old 02-14-2014, 10:35 AM

254 posts, read 307,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I have one that's worse...I had a friend that would call me and bug me to go out to a club. Most of the time he'd get there two or more hours later than agreed upon and a few times not at all (said he fell asleep). Dammit! Don't bug me to do something then not show...how rude! He was always surprised by my annoyance at him.

Now THAT would seriously bug the heck outta me!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 AM

356 posts, read 1,010,867 times
it shouldnt matter.. my friend say they will call me back and sometimes dont and vice verca.. they have other things going on.. their life isnt about me and our conversations.

thats how things are when you are just friends. its not a big deal

Old 02-14-2014, 11:34 AM
PJA

2,387 posts, read 2,378,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
And she's done it like three or four times. I've even pulled her up on it. I've told her its rude. But she's done it again. I even told her if she can't call me to just send me a text to let me know.

A little backstory. We were once romantic but aren't any longer. We've been close for eight plus years. She calls me her best friend.

Last night I called her. We talked for twenty minutes or so then she said she had to get some sleep. She said she'd call me tomorrow. She never called.

I'm not sure if I should just let it go or pull her up on it again. It just makes me angry. Should it? Mind you, not furious or anything. But I just find it kind of disrespectful.

If you want to talk to her..then call her. If she's your best friend I'm sure she wont' mind and if she's busy she will tell you. But the phone works both ways.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:50 AM

255 posts, read 310,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
She is not interested in maintaining any relationship with you. Her actions (or inactions) are telling you all you need to know; you just need to listen. There is no point calling her out on it. Best of luck moving forward and onto other, more reciprocal relationships.
Ha ha. Sorry, but I had to laugh. I'm not sure how you could come to this bleak conclusion from what I provided.

We've been very close for a long time and if she didn't want any kind of relationship she wouldn't call me at all. She is the one that initiates most the calls.

I'm simply frustrated at her phone etiquette.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:00 PM

12,922 posts, read 19,809,103 times
I also have a friend who never calls when she says she will. I'll get a text from her, and invariably she'll end it with "I'll call you later, or, tomorrow." I know she won't, but she still tries hard to keep in touch, so I just respond "No, you won't." It's become a running joke between us.

Honestly, I have very few friends who want to spend a lot of time on the phone chatting, and it seems the norm now.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 PM

15,747 posts, read 11,767,628 times
You are just friends. Friends call and friends don't call, what's the big deal?

If you are REALLY over her, why are you so frustrated about it? Was there something SUPER important you needed to tell her?

If she is a good friend otherwise, let go of that issue and stop being so needy.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:33 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,654,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post

That would happen one time with me. Unless the person had a very good excuse as to why they didn't show(like a car accident on their way to the club) I wouldn't make plans to meet them anywhere.

It keeps happening because you're a doormat. He knows you will put up with it.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or