Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 02:59 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I heard AZ's divorce rate was very high, well in the 90's when I moved there people said so, you would hear that. Maybe w/ the economic downturn, it dropped the divorce rate, too.
I think there aren't that many people actually getting married which would cause a drop in divorces. I know a LOT of cohabiters too. Economically it's not easy trying to live in two households so maybe those who want to divorce don't/can't. That's a possibility too. Although the people I know who got divorced just wanted out and damn the economics of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 03:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
What do all those divorces in Tennessee, Alabama, Oklahoma, Idaho, and Arkansas have in common? Sooner, rather than later, someone is going to lose a trailer.....

You know why those divorces were so expensive? Because they were worth it.

Bloomberg my assets.....as soon as that cash is gone, so is the "marriage" more often than not.....times are bad, she tends to stick around....times are good? she's planking the 38 year old pool boy named Jesse cuz he's got a tattoo. Kewl.....ugh.....

Perhaps Francis Ford Coppola had it right when asked about marriage....he said: "find a woman you hate, give her half of what you own, skip the rest".....

Sound familiar to anyone???
I have a friend who says he'll never marry again. He says if he finds someone he's halfway serious about he'll just buy her a house and be done with it. lol

Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ummm... you DO know that many people remarry after their spouse dies, right?

Nothing to do with "family values"!
It's been a long-known fact that Oklahoma has one of the highest divorce rates in the country, if not the highest.

And I really doubt that many people are being tragically widowed.

The issue with the "family values" crowd is that condemnation of premarital sex means that people rush into marriages at younger ages. If you get hitched at 19, you have that much more time to work in multiple marriages. And let's face it, when a teenager gets married, their divorce within a few years is a statistical probability.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:53 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Cool, California didn't make the top 25. I'm so tired of the stereotype of the shallow, ambitious Hollywood types. Illinois--where I live now--isn't there either.
I think that has to do with the fact that a lot of California couples never married. Therefore, when they split, it's not technically a divorce. I lived there for many years, and knew a almost as many couples that had never married than had.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:26 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I observed earlier that the five states in which people are most likely to marry three or more times are Arkansas, Oklahoma, Idaho, Tennessee, and Alabama ... and I wondered what that says about the "family values" so highly touted in conservative states. Apparently this didn't sit well with Pitt Chick, as she replied with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ummm... you DO know that many people remarry after their spouse dies, right?

Nothing to do with "family values"!
I was curious about this assertion, so I did some research. In fact, SOME people remarry after a spouse dies, but not nearly as many as remarry following a divorce. Men are far more likely to remarry following the death of their wives than women are to remarry following widowhood. This makes certain amount of sense given that there are far fewer widowers than widows, so the potential dating pool for widows is relatively small. According to a study published in the Annals of Clinical Psychiatry, 60% of men whose wives die are at least "repartnered," if not remarried, within two years of losing their wives. The older they are, the more likely they are to marry. But they are a much smaller number of people compared to widowed women. Women only repartner at a rate of 20% in the same time period, even if they express a desire to remarry and in any age group there are approximately 4 times more widows than widowers.

The results on remarrying for divorced people is more dramatic. Approximately 80% of people who get divorced remarry, most commonly 4 to 6 years following their divorce, with women marrying sooner than men. The census bureau doesn't keep stats on divorce, so it's hard to say how many divorced people there are in the U.S. But the Center for Disease Control records statistics to a certain degree, and they are the ones who say that right now, 3.6 of every 1,000 people in the U.S. are divorced and the statistic in recent years has been much higher (divorce dropped sharply during the recession). Because people can divorce more than once and statistically do it much earlier than the age people usually are widowed, there are far more people divorced than widowed. In one of the states on our list of of remarriers, Oklahoma reports 32% of Oklahoma adults who have ever been married have been divorced.

A family law blog reports that there were 46,523 divorce per week in the U.S. in 2011. According to their statistics, the more often you get married, the more likely you are to divorce. While they estimate 41% of first marriages end in divorce, 60% or second marriages don't last, and 73% of third marriages end in divorce. That same blog quotes a report by Barna Research Group that tracked divorce statistics by religion. It found that 29% of Baptists are divorced (the highest for a U.S. religion), while only 21% of those who self-identified as atheists/agnostics were divorced (the lowest end of the spectrum).

I stand by my remark about "family values."

Old 02-26-2014, 09:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
... The issue with the "family values" crowd is that condemnation of premarital sex means that people rush into marriages at younger ages. If you get hitched at 19, you have that much more time to work in multiple marriages. And let's face it, when a teenager gets married, their divorce within a few years is a statistical probability.
Statistic in what I read agreed with that both in terms of ages married and this interesting fact: If you have attended college (not even graduated), your risk of divorce decreases by 13%.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Cool, California didn't make the top 25. I'm so tired of the stereotype of the shallow, ambitious Hollywood types. Illinois--where I live now--isn't there either.
Of course people have to marry in the first place in order to divorce. People who get divorced over and over actually believe in marriage I think, they just keep getting it wrong. Some people just shack up for a while and when they break up it doesn't count as divorce.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
What do all those divorces in Tennessee, Alabama, Oklahoma, Idaho, and Arkansas have in common? Sooner, rather than later, someone is going to lose a trailer.....
ha! This IS the funniest thing I have read all day. Yes, God bestowed everyone in
Tennessee, Alabama, Oklahoma, Idaho, and Arkansas with a trailer. This was quoted in the book of Genesis, or the beginning when God created the eighth day for trailer handouts. LOL! OH that was so good!

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 02-28-2014 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I think that has to do with the fact that a lot of California couples never married. Therefore, when they split, it's not technically a divorce. I lived there for many years, and knew a almost as many couples that had never married than had.
I lived there for many years too but did not know many unmarried couples (long-term, not boyfriend and girlfriend). Then again, I lived in Orange County which is pretty conservative. My wanting to get married and not simply live together was a large reason my ex and I broke up.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
ha! This IS the funniest thing I have read all day. Yes, God bestowed everyone in
Tennessee, Alabama, Oklahoma, Idaho, and Arkansas with a trailer. This was quoted in the book of Genesis, or the beginning when God created the eighth day for trailer handouts. LOL! OH that was so good!
Yeah, right....right up,there with the Mormons....first there was the big bang...then, there was silence until 1840 something near the donner party, then there was the celestial Mormons and John smith....and then everyone gets a bunch of wives...can you imagine? I've got one and I would trade her in on a "fresh faced" 40 year old if I could but, to have a bunch of them? Holy crap.

No, I'm good. One she devil is enough in any mans life. I'd throw myself off an overpass before I would ever get married again. What's really weird is that they all act like stepford wives or something....like they enjoy it....

That, and having to live in Utah. Yuk. Spartan comes to mind...well, it could be worse, it could be Nevada.

Yep, the trailer "community" is a non-stop bevy of fun. It truly is amazing what you can drag out on a Friday night in a trailer park with a $100 bill. Like an episode of C.O.P.S. or Oz. I guess we like to look at it more like "affordable" housing than the stage for Jerry Springer, Police stops, and meth labs. Se habla!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships