Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Hate to be the dissenter (Hell, I do not judging by my screenname) but I am very much into going out. I don't do it every weekend, nor do I drink to excess every weekend but I do like to dance at a good club on occasion. Hell, I'm 25 and I work hard all week at grad school and work. Who is anyone to judge how I spend my time off the clock?

Before I get graded a club-hopper, this past weekend I spent with new people at a bowling alley and I also spent Sunday afternoon having a Netflix binge and a nice lunch at a friend's house. Everything in moderation.
No one did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Looking back I consider it a miracle that I survived to reach the age of 28. Waking up outdoors or in a strange apartment with a hangover was way too common of an occurrence for me in my early to mid-twenties as was polishing off fifths of the hard stuff in one sitting among friends. My socializing was so intense that I dropped out of college three times before I obtained my bachelor's degree due to partying and neglecting responsibilities. I was 27 when something inside my head clicked and I became responsible. It was not a conscious decision, it just happened and I have never been able to identify what triggered it.

At 25 I went out and drank five times a week. At 35 I went out and drank five times a year and I am just as happy now as I was back then.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 03-04-2014 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Adjusted a detail

Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,619 times
I'm 28 and the most partying I do these days is go out with a friend or two for a couple drinks and some hot wings. I don't care for the hang overs and the large crowds anymore. It's just not worth it.

From age 16-25, I was drinking heavily every weekend and at one point drinking everyday. The first couple hours of work would be hell in the morning. Now I might have 4-5 drinks a week. Waking up with no headache or hang over is a high in itself.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I am 27 years old and have been living in NYC 5 years. I used to go out every weekend. Sometimes until 4. I would go bar hopping and meet guys and have a blast, sometimes. But lately I have been more into nice dinners or a drink or two during the week maybe a night out until midnight on the weekend. I am just kind over the getting drunk and going out scene. I like to get up early on my weekends and do things, like go grocery shopping at 9am on Sundays to beat the rush or take an exercise class.

I sometimes feel like I am missing out, as one of my friend circles still does a lot of partying. But when I really think about it, what am I missing besides spending lots of money and maybe getting a random person's phone number.

Anyone else in their late 20's feel like this? Or did you feel like this at my age?
This is normal. Once you get to about 30 it's kind of pathetic to go clubbing all the time and get drunk all the time.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:08 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
I am 27 years old and have been living in NYC 5 years. I used to go out every weekend. Sometimes until 4. I would go bar hopping and meet guys and have a blast, sometimes. But lately I have been more into nice dinners or a drink or two during the week maybe a night out until midnight on the weekend. I am just kind over the getting drunk and going out scene. I like to get up early on my weekends and do things, like go grocery shopping at 9am on Sundays to beat the rush or take an exercise class.

I sometimes feel like I am missing out, as one of my friend circles still does a lot of partying. But when I really think about it, what am I missing besides spending lots of money and maybe getting a random person's phone number.

Anyone else in their late 20's feel like this? Or did you feel like this at my age?
I think that's normal, although maybe less so for a New Yorker. I am 27 too, come from Minnesota, and have noticed a total change in Facebook posts made by people my age (and a bit younger!). They used to be all about "pregaming" or "Wasted Wednesday" or drinking and partying, but now they're largely about who's getting married, baby pictures, and buying/building homes.

Personally, I never go out and I never went out. I just didn't feel the need to, and plus, lived at home during college. Perhaps it's my personal aversion to alcohol. My brother used to do the same too between the ages of 15 and 20, though he didn't drink. My sister always goes out and when "home" is never actually in the house. Too busy "hot-tubbing" at her friend's house or going to parties in Grand Forks.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
All of this describes normal twentysomething behavior, but not any more or less normal than not doing any of those things. I'm 31 and what you would call an extroverted introvert in that I love being around people but hate large crowds and noisy gatherings. When I was in grad school, I used to go out just for the purpose of hanging out with people, but I was just as happy to do my thing at home to then welcome drunk roommates back at 2 as the bars closed and then shoot the sh** (or pool) with them into the wee hours of the morning. Not wanting to wake up every weekend with a hangover seems like a perfectly reasonable desire. Maybe less so for the stereotypical "New Yorker" but who's to say you (or anyone else for that matter) have to be stereotypical? I'd love to live in NYC, but I doubt that doing so would turn me into a party animal now, nor would it have done five years ago.
Quote:
And you've absolutely nailed it right there. If you don't think you're missing out on anything, you're not missing out on anything. If what your friend circle does appeals to you - by all means join them. If you'd rather do your own thing, ultimately that's what's going to make you happy. Conversely, following the herd is likely to make you unhappy. Which would you rather be?
Quote:
While I technically do not qualify to answer this question due to age discrimination (), I have always felt the way you do. Never been much of a drinker, can't dance to save my life (total stereotypical awkward white boy here) and if I do go out, I prefer a quieter lounge to a rowdy bar or pub (exception: EPL football matches on Saturday/Sunday mornings). I generally prefer to be able to hear myself think, to say nothing of having a conversation.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
I never fully "blossomed" (Still living in the same small town I was born in) so I never really got to experience "going out". Now that I'm in my mid 30s and have next to no friends I'm done for.

I would have really liked to experienced having a normal life (moving out for college, living in a major city.) My college experience was a few months at a local CC before dropping out and working for $10 an hour for the last 15 years.

I'm also a weirdo and a social retard so there never really was any social stuff going on even in my younger days.

Honestly I had more of a social life when I was living out of my car at a truck stop some years ago.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:21 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
I don't think its the natural progression of things,but I guess it can get old.

I'm the opposite.
I didn't go out in my early 20's and I was a serious homebody.
Yet,once I hit 28, I wondered what it would be like,and that maybe I missed all the fun of my early 20's. So,I started going out,and haven't stopped since.

Maybe I will stop around 34,even though it seems people never stop in Nyc.
I've seen 70+ yr old people at nightclubs.

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 03-06-2014 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 AM

360 posts, read 982,662 times
Quote:

Same here, though my priorities changed since i was like 24. Never been the hardcore partying type but just a social clubber (going to parties only if friends go as well).

Clubbing has just become so monotonous, and its so noisy that you can't socialize properly with friends. There's no point going that often.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 PM

12,772 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I, personally was never into going out really ever...not at 16, 18, 21, etc. But, I'm sure most people start to outgrow the whole party scene as they approach age 30, so you seem normal to me. You're maturing & starting to realize that there's more to life than drinking, bars, going out, getting drunk, etc. That stuff never interested me to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships