Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,704,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastfanmang View Post
I don't broadcast it at all. My uncle sends me a lot of NFL gear for the team he coaches and I wear it. Then people to ask me "where did you get that from". Then I tell them my uncle coaches blah blah and move on. I.

You didn't have to say "my uncle coaches.....". You could have just said "My uncle sent them to me from ______" (whatever state). You don't have to BRAG that your uncle coaches whoever it is that he coaches.

Quote:
I've done favors for them before they even became successful. So I'm good over here. My cousin worked as an assistant to an actress in hollywood, while going to school. She relocated to NY to be an associate producer for a show filmed out there (NY).

Producers and associate producers don't conduct auditions; casting directors do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,793,343 times
I'd probably avoid them. I like to keep a low profile.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:54 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,489,756 times
OP, go talk to someone who REALLY has a famous relative and you might get a clue.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:29 AM

17 posts, read 18,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You didn't have to say "my uncle coaches.....". You could have just said "My uncle sent them to me from ______" (whatever state). You don't have to BRAG that your uncle coaches whoever it is that he coaches.

Producers and associate producers don't conduct auditions; casting directors do.
Trust me if your cousin was michael jordan or some one of that caliber you would tell people.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:33 AM

17 posts, read 18,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
I don't ever much think about the people in my family who are known or powerful in some way enough to consider using them to help other people in my life. Not saying there's anything wrong with what you're doing. As long as your famous relatives don't mind you making use of them as "resources" and bringing other people into the mix, go for it.
Thanks for the advice. I'm just not going to say anything I'd figure. I deal with people like biscuitmom and amini all the time.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,631,825 times
Quote:
Trust me if your cousin was michael jordan or some one of that caliber you would tell people.
You obviously don't have any relatives of that caliber. If you did you wouldn't be coming on here trying to inflate your deflated ego.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:09 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,793,343 times
I read that Madonna's brother in Michigan is homeless, and that Mariah Carey has a drug-addicted sister. That's so sad.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:22 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,059,480 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm just not going to say anything I'd figure. I deal with people like biscuitmom and amini all the time.

What exactly is there to deal with?
You are the one asking how others would treat famous relatives.
You are the one asking said relatives for favors.
You are the one telling others "My Uncle coaches blah blah blah" instead of saying your Uncle sent you the jersey or whatever it is.

You are the "humble" one who is bragging. There is no need to explain your family history when asked where you got a jersey.

I have a few rich, famous and powerful people in my family as well but I have never once asked them for anything outside of "Pass the mashed potatoes & gravy".

Old 03-10-2014, 04:39 AM

90 posts, read 123,420 times
When I taught college in NY, I had a couple fabulists for students. Sad, really.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,496,037 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

Just wondering how you would deal with this. My question is how would you deal with life if you had famous relatives? Me for example:
-Famous Athlete Basketball (Dad’s Side)
-Grammy Winning Music Producer (Dad Side)
-Uncle NFL Coach (moms side)
-Cousin-Associate producer producer in hollywood (moms side)

Recently I got invited by that famous basketball player’s sister to help out with something for the Obama’s. Anyway, I’m very humble and never brag. Only a handful I like sharing this. I recently shared the president news with a friend and envy was all over his face. I was disappointed. I try to get my friends involved. I introduced my friend who is an aspiring football coach (he coach’s high school). I got my uncle to help my friend break down film and to help him pick his brain. I get my barber pro gear when I go to NFL games. I gave a friend who wants to be an actor a chance to audition for my cousin in NY. So with the stuff I’m sharing would you not tell anybody? I have opportunities and resources that some are not fortunate to have, so I like helping. Any advice? Thx
It doesn't sound like you are bragging or anything like that, so it sounds like you're handling it fine.

If you can help one good friend with these connections and the "famous" people are ok with it, it sounds good.
-------
Side note.

I have some relatives who starred in a reality show for a few years, and, let's just say, they enjoyed their "fame" a little too much and seemed to make sure they were recognized.

I have friend who was a featured character on a really popular network show, and he is as humble as can be. The funny thing is that sometimes people get him confused with another much larger star.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships